Sub For Simcoe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilArge

Reaction score
G'day all,

Is there such a thing? From what I have read, there isn't any real sub for Simcoe - it's just too unique in aroma and flavour. Is this true? If you had a recipe with it in, and there was no way you could get them in easily (desert island scenario, I know) what would try and use instead?

Sorry for all the bl**dy questions

ToG

Galaxy would probably be the closest - But as you said already, there isn't really a substitute.

Cheers Ross

Galaxy would probably be the closest - But as you said already, there isn't really a substitute.

Cheers Ross

I did not rate galaxy much, i dont know what it was about it :unsure: .

Cheers Ross
Thanks Ross. Looks like I'll be calling in again after the Gabba Test for the genuine article!

Cheers 'til then,

ToG

Galaxy would be a poor substitute imho. It doesn't have the dimension or bittering quality of simcoe.

Simcoe to me has a moderate strong pine undertone, nice flavour of mandarin and sometimes a rockmelon character (especially during fermentation). I think the best place to start for a substitute would be a blend of chinook (pine and citrus characters) and challenger (orange marmalade).

listen asshole he failed to let us know what he had available to sub, its not a hop thats really easily subbed, and its available at the friggin' link,

Galaxy would be a poor substitute imho. It doesn't have the dimension or bittering quality of simcoe.

Simcoe to me has a moderate strong pine undertone, nice flavour of mandarin and sometimes a rockmelon character (especially during fermentation). I think the best place to start for a substitute would be a blend of chinook (pine and citrus characters) and challenger (orange marmalade).

Thanks Kai. I do have some Challenger and Chinook on hand so will give that a shot. But I'll pick up some Simcoe to keep in the freezer JIC.

Cheers

ToG

listen asshole he failed to let us know what he had available to sub, its not a hop thats really easily subbed, and its available at the friggin' link,

He might have just been curious, as opposed to desperately trying to sub something for a brew boiling away as he posted.

the link says "none known", and the question wasn't where can I get it, tool

He might have just been curious, as opposed to desperately trying to sub something for a brew boiling away as he posted.

Spot on, manticle. I'm making an APA tomorrow and came across a lovely recipe that had Simcoe in it but there are so many variations on this theme I'll just do one like this:

Recipe: Anaiwan Pale Ale
Brewer: Neil
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 26.49 L
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 20.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 89.43 %
0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 7.32 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 3.25 %
14.00 gm Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.5 IBU
14.00 gm Pearle [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
28.30 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
56.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.15 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 18.45 L of water at 71.1 C 65.6 C

I didn't mean to cause a fuss :unsure:

Cheers :p

ToG

og 1067 don't look like an apa. and with those ibus, not really an ipa either. can't go wrong with cascade though.

og 1067 don't look like an apa. and with those ibus, not really an ipa either. can't go wrong with cascade though.

Well spotted Sam. I realised once I'd posted the recipe up that it was light on with the hopping, and a tad high on OG. I've upped the Magnum and pulled the base malt back a bit.

Cheers

ToG

1 Simcoe = 1/3 Nelson Sauvin + 2/3 Southern Cross.

Latest posts

Back