Stuffed Up Need Help Quick!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchjazz

Reaction score
OK,

I just did my first double batch of BIAB in a 50 liter keggle with the aim of getting 39 ltrs for 2 corny keggs. I have no other method but to "no chill" but it is now 24 hours later and the temp is 28 degress. I have put it into the fermenter and moved it inside as its much cooler. My question is should i pitch yeast now or wait for temp to come down. Im making a american plae ale.

Pls help!!

OK,

I just did my first double batch of BIAB in a 50 liter keggle with the aim of getting 39 ltrs for 2 corny keggs. I have no other method but to "no chill" but it is now 24 hours later and the temp is 28 degress. I have put it into the fermenter and moved it inside as its much cooler. My question is should i pitch yeast now or wait for temp to come down. Im making a american plae ale.

Pls help!!

Be patient and wait if you can put it in the fridge to get the temp down .It won't hurt it that much if you leave it a bit longer max time is about 4 days without yeast before it starts going off . try and get it down to around 18*C before you pitch .

Laundry sink/bath full of icey water for a bit. Although a double batch is heavy and big. 28 is a little high if it's not dropping naturally some intervention will be necessary cause once it starts fermenting it will get a little hotter.

It's a trade off. dude... The longer you leave the wort uninnoculated with yeast, the more prone it will be to being infected with a wild yeast. If you pitch too warm, and it stays at ~28C for hours, you will get some flavours in your beer associated with yeast strain e.g. Esters and other undesirables. This of course is dependant on the yeast strain, pitching rate ...yada yada yada

If you can put it in a bath or some other such vessel with some ice or even cold water, you may get it down to ~22C which would be closer to ideal, assuming you are using an Ale yeast.

Yep I usually leave mine in the pot overnight, covered in gladwrap of coarse and put the lid on and its pretty much air tight. Done this for at least 6 or so brews and no infections yet. not sure If I would leave it longer then 2 days in a pot but a sealed airtight container cant see a problem just fill the airlock with your sanitizing solution so nothing nasty can start growing in the water you will be fine.

I would also go the ice bath in the laundry sink.

+4 for ice bath didnt think of that. I even do it bath it till its around 30c then glad wrap and leave overnight I like to chill mine fast well as fast as I can with what I got

cant really put in ice bath or bath to cool. The temp in the rooms its currently in is 21.5 deg.

OK,

Pls help!!

Buy some cubes and no chill correctly,then you'll be able to pitch at your leisure, much more convenient.

For your present dilemma,I'd chill in a water/ice bath or both to pitching temp and inoculate as soon as possible.

Throw some wet towels / old shirts over it and put a fan onto the fermentor, try to get it down as much as possible.

If not possible, just pitch it and RDWHAHB. It will make beer, and you already have some lessons for next time.

:beer:

cant really put in ice bath or bath to cool. The temp in the rooms its currently in is 21.5 deg.

Sure you can. Fill the two fermenters, put in the bathtub then drive up to the servo and get two bags of ice.

Yeah i read today on how to no chill the proper way today and will be doing this next batch. Still learning as this was my first batch thereare a few things i will be doing different next time but im sure this would be the same for most...

Haysie_
"Pitch Mitch"..........Love it..

Wyeast:

Shake well, open and pour Activator™ into five gallons of well-aerated or oxygenated wort at 70-75F (21-24C). Maintain temperature until fermentation is evident: by CO2 bubble formation, bubbling airlock or foaming on top of wort.

Adjust to desired fermentation temperature.

I'd pitch at 28C with very few worries. Those last couple of degrees won't matter much so long as it's under 20C in 24-48 hours.

If anything you'll be doing it closer to what the yeast experts recomend than pitching at ferment temp like everyone else blurts out.

How do you plan on keeping the temperature down once it starts fermenting?

lol I wouldnt pitch if you cant get it down it will only get hotter when it starts to ferment. But if you got a laundry tub throw it in there even if it only covers a bit of the bottom get wet towels and wrap it with the towel ends in the water. Change the water when needed or throw ice block or frozen pet bottles in there to cool it down you can leave it like this threw fermentation as I guess you dont have a fridge or it doesnt fit in there

Sure you can. Fill the two fermenters, put in the bathtub then drive up to the servo and get two bags of ice.

Silo

I dont have 2 fermenters and my fermenter is too large for sink or bath.

yeah mate wet towls is what im doing. hope it doesnt affect it to much. Ah well first BIAB Double $#@& Happens Ay...

What yeast are you waiting to pitch? Makes all the difference here.

Batz

Back