hops mix for hop burst session IPA feedback plz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
Yep. Totally agree with your reasoning/explanation above. I, too, was concerned you were front loading your IBUs too heavily and needed to back it off to max your late stuff
I'd use a citra & chinook combo for FWH, and aim for ~(15-)20% of your total IBUs. Dump the rest late. Simples
If you're chilling, I'd *maybe* be tempted to do a little at 20mins to bring a little more focus on flavour (again ~15-20%), the rest WP (so 60-70%).
So I guess conservative might be 20/20/60, adventurous is 15/15/70, or for craziness 15/85.
Is that where you're heading as well?
PS: when in doubt with hops, MOAR!!

Thanks for the name Stu - 15/85 it is!

Midnight Brew said:
With that volume, I wouldn't hesitate to turn it into three different beers, either through yeast or dry hopping, not both.

So are you now chilling with the 60L?

In regards to temperature, Ive found at 50L then whirl-pooling for 20 minutes, the temp only drops to 95C. So you're still drawing off some bitterness of the WP + however long it takes to drop below 85C (as the really good graph I can't find from that really good study).

When cube hopping, if the wort enters at 95C, I ESTIMATE that it takes 15-20 mins to drop below 85C and all the aroma is locked into that cube. These are of course estimations not backed by any testing/science, only my my tastebuds (which tend to prefer yeast driven and malt driven beers).

Taking away from that, as log as you can get into the ball park for your bitterness, either will produce a good result but you may favour one more then the other. All comes down to trial, tasting, recording, retrying, comparing.
Cam, yes I'm chilling now. What about putting the 60 min bittering addition in with 40 to go instead then with 5 to go throw it all in, whirlpool and let sit for 20min adding up to a 60min cook

dry-hopped this with:

1.5g/l Mosaic
1.5g/l Citra
.5 g/l NS

pulling some out of the cold crash and into a PET then force carbing the PET - it's tasting bloody amazing! maybe it's an East Coast Pulp Session IPA

imho - these beers turned out well

going to do an amarillo and citra FWH and then 85% at the end today just need to re-jig the numbers
mash has come in a bit low in pH due to the most amount of acidulated I've ever used...(4.4 mash pH) so as it turns out the 4.8pH sparge water is higher than the mash pH
was going to add chalk to bring the mash pH up but decided to go to the edge and see what's there

hey droid, a 4.4 mash pH = sour beer. Your final beer after ferment will be less than 3.8

adding chalk to correct that unless you want it puckering up.

I've just kegged my session IPA using Rakua/Nelson Sauvin and cool whirlpool at 75c which added heaps flavour and aroma.

fwiw - it was 3.5% acidulated in the grist, 60% pils 30% wheat approx, cold soaked overnight then recirc heated to 64/65

at 75% eff I should of had 76ltr pre-boil and a BG of 1043, I got 80ltrs @ 1048 putting it up around 88% which I have never had before, clearly mash pH being low hasn't hurt efficiency

have you tried Stone Go to IPA? or have we had this conversation? it is borderline sour, it's quite acidic to me, which I enjoy and that's the direction I've been heading

I guess the good thing about going to the edge is that at least you know where it is eh? hehe

Latest posts

Back