Stuff Boc & Air Liquide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boots,

All I did with mine was to use the nut that is attached to the hose cut it away from the hose, ream the back out of the nut it out with a file and attached to the stem of the regulator by unscrewing from the body of the regulator and slipping over and tightening to the head of the extinguisher.....Jobs done !!!

Cheers
JSB

Boots, I haven't made or seen an adapter to go between the two but that was what my Fire bloke was suggesting to do if we couldn't find a cylinder head that fitted directly, he was even going to organise it for me. Any good fitter should be able to turn you up a brass one to suit.

Shop around a bit for your refill. Mine only costs $30 off memory for a 5kg. Anyway, even at $50 a fill your still ahead from BOC and Airliquide.

Cheers, Justin

From talking to the extinguisher bloke, he said that there are only sertain extinguishers which are suited to being converted to our requirements, as they have the right fitting on them already.
He did make it sound like there was some hassle involved in trying to get/make adaptors.

dreamboat

I picked up a 4 litre CO2 extinguisher bottle for nicks down at chubb. It has some weird thread which looks like it is 1 inch. Apparently it is 1" NGT parallel with o-ring seal.

I probably will just end up making an adapter to fit my needle valve out of brass if I can't source one. He says he will fill it for me in exchange for some beer.

Thanks for the tip JSB, I had a look at doing this last night, but the connection on my extinguisher is female, so mine wouldn't work in that way.

I've done as you other guys suggested, and have brought it into work to our tool room and explained my situation. After hearing about all the beer I have sitting around in kegs they've taken it off my hands and will come back with something for me :)

I'll try and get a digicam and get some shots of the connection I have / the adapter if / when I get it.

Thanks everyone - and great thread MAH.

Some guys in the club have bought these adaptors from our local HBS guy (Bro Shoppe at BYOAH). I will ask him about them at the club meeting tonight. We will be tasting Weizens so I will try to catch up with him before the 4th keg!!
Cheers,
TL

We only want the gas obviously and regulators don't like liquid CO2 so we need to remove the diptube.

I finally got my Reg adapter sorted out by some guys at work (pics in gallery), and got it all working last night.

My extinguisher (5Kg) was already full with the wrong head on (hence the adapter) and the dip tube IN. Based on what the guy at Adel. Fire Control said, I gave it a burl with the extinguisher standing up, and it all worked fine.

No liquid CO2 passed the reg into the gas line (I was watching for it) - and the reg seemed to read accurately.

Does anyone know what Liquid C02 actually does to a regulator? I'm tempted to not worry about hanging it upside down - but I'm concerned that it will do something over time....

I'm on this track now that my CO2 bottle has run out. (it did last from May 2002 until last weekend).

Picking up a 5kg CO2 extinguisher with dip tube removed next week. :)

The only downside is I can't drink kegged beer till I get the extinguisher :(

Thanks everyone who posted info under this thread B)

C&B
TDA

Anyone in Perth know of a fire extinguisher person who is sympathetic to our cause. Just found a 5.5kg job in the bin at work.

thanks but I need someone to make up an adapter to take my comet reg and remove the dip tube.

Done the adapting to the regulator/extinguisher connection and thought I'd post a photo or 3.

My regulator

Gas_Regulator.JPG

the extension, this is two 1/4" NPT male to female adapters piggy backed.

the thread on the left of the piccy screws into my extinguisher

Adaptor.JPG

Screws into a valve on your extinguisher TDA???

Bit tough to fill the cylinder without it....

dreamboat

Latest posts

Back