Stuff Boc & Air Liquide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin,

1 more question, why remove the dip tube?

And where do I find your Pics.

Thanks,

Richo

1. The dip tube needs to be removed so that you are drawing the gas from the headspace of the bottle above the liquid CO2 in the bottom of the bottle. When CO2 is under that much pressure it remain as a liquid and has a head space filled with CO2 gas. We only want the gas obviously and regulators don't like liquid CO2 so we need to remove the diptube.

We have liquid CO2 in the bottles because that equates to far more gas and hence longer times between refills than if the bottle was just filled with CO2 gas. If that makes sense?

2. I just take the photos with my sisters digital camera. That's my bottle in the gallery that you see.

Cheers, Justin

Ok, dumb question from a bloke who isn't yet into kegging...

Can I just wander into a local fire extinguisher shop and ask them to sell me a gassed up CO2 fire extinguisher with the dip tube removed and supply a head that fits my gas line regulator? Is it that simple? Or is this like walking into CUB and asking them to fit my ball valve into the side of one of their kegs so I can use it for my brewing!!!

Seriously, there are several shops here in the ACT yellow pages that refill fire extinguishers - I suppose I can ring them first, but it sounds so easy if all it is, is a matter of having them supply a new/reconditioned extinguisher with the dip tube removed and a head assembly that takes my reg....Or did I overlook something (which is not unusual, believe me)!

Is it *naughty* to use firefighting equipment to fight thirsts??

Cheers,
TL (Kegging numpty!)

TL

Yep it's that simple. I just rang the company a fellow SA brewer recommended. The guy knew exactly what I was after, and even delivered it to my office.

And no it's not naughty to use a fire extinguisher for beer. A fire extinguisher is just a cylinder that holds CO2.

Cheers
MAH

Thanks MAH!
Strewth, that's "a piece of piss" - now, how do I stuff a 5kg CO2 bottle down my trousers? There's a real cute one lookin at me right now! ;-)

I'm gonna make some phone calls tonight...Now, all I need is a cheap deal on a couple of kegs and some taps for a lonely unused fridge in the garage!

Cheers,
TL

I had a look on the net at new CO2 extinguishers - the extinguisher warehouse sells new 3.5Kg units for $266.20 (normal retail is $385). :blink:
Looks like I'll be getting a second hand one :D
TL

TL,

I think you'll find that the places that fill empty fire extinguishers will be able to hook you up with some damaged ones that will do the job for you (at least point you in the right direction anyway!)

When fire extinguishers go out of service it's usually because of the head, which brewers don't need anyway.

Good luck!

Well, after some phone calls I have gone the fire extinguisher route for gas too. I found a local Bloke in Ipswich who sells second hand extinguishers and I picked up a 5kg aluminium job with the correct head, full of gas for $100. Only prob is I have to hang the extinguisher upside down till the gas is used up, then I can get the dip tube removed before the next refill then stand it up the right way.

Hasta la vista BOC

I've included a pic for those interested

Also, if you buy second hand, make sure the cylinder has not gone out of date or you will be up for the cost of pressure testing before you can refill it.

cheers

Browndog

gas_rig.JPG

Browndog,
Can you give us some contact details for this bloke in Ipswich, I am looking for that exact type of setup, and probably know a few others who would be interested.
Did you find someone who can do the diptube removal for you, and someone who will refill the cylinder for you?

Cheers
Dreamboat

Dreamboat,

if you don't want to go to Ipswich, Blaze Fire Protection at Loganholme sells them, with the dip tube already removed. Ask for Steve (0413449797). I'm picking up my 5kg bottle tomorrow B) .

Cheers - Snow.

what is the $$ on that snow?
is it still fitted with the extinguisher head or will it have a more standard head?

dreamboat

I'll let you know after tomorrow, Dreamboat. DaveR got his 5kg job from the same guys for $100, filled. I believe it comes with the standard extinguisher head that you just keep open with a little pin. They seem pretty helpful over the phone and are happy to modify the unit the way you want, within reason, of course.

- Snow

Thanks Snow.
The more info I can get on this the better.

dreamboat

Dreamboat,
If you do want to go come to Ipswich. The fellows name is Brad from Ipswich and District Fire Equipment Services 3288 8272. He could not remove the dip tube but put me on to some guys in Salisbury that could.

cheers

Browndog

Thanks Browndog,
Either Logan of Ipswich is around the same sort of distance for me, so I will look to stop in on these blokes when i am in the area.

dreamboat

Steve at Blaze Fire Protection does a hydrostatic test on the cylinders so he takes the dip tube out for you. May be one less thing you need to worry about?

EXCELLENT THREAD GUY'S.

There are a huge number of brewers heading down this path.

For the record I have ONE full new (full) extinguisher here 2.0 KGs for $120.00 that you can use.

Failing that I still have some proper co2 gas bottles 1.5KG for the same price.

Regards
Dave

Well I picked up my fire extinguisher from Steve at Blaze Fire Protection in Loganholme on Wednesday and I am stoked! I got a 5kg bottle, filled, with the dip tube removed for $110. It's beed tested and reconditioned, so it is good for 6 years before it need another test. It's also nice and light because it's aluminium. I showed it to Mal at Westernsuburbs Homebrew and he was so impressed he is going to try and set up a regular supply from Blaze.

I also stopped in at Andale in Coorparoo and picked up all my disconnects, beer line, etc, so I just need to get my kegs from Mal and as soon as my arrogant ******* is ready I'm up and kegging!! Woohoo! :D

- Snow.

Well done Snow!

This is definaltely the path to be taking to get your gas system at a reasonable price.

I spoke with Mal about gas just last week, and will hopefully get over there late this afternoon, so I might bring it up again.... get more reinforcement of the idea for him to get a system organised.

dreamboat

I just picked up a 5Kg CO2 Extinguisher full for $120 with 4 years till the next safety check.

However:

- The "Head" does not fit direct on to my reg, so I'll have to source an adapter.
- The dip tube is still in so I'll have to have it upside down till next fill.

Something else to keep in mind:

By AFC's pricing charts, refills are cheaper per kg on larger cylinders than small.

It was going to be around $27 for a 1.5kg,
and around $50 for the 5Kg

Has anyone succesfully used an adapter to step it up from a small female connection, to a larger male adapter?

Latest posts

Back