Fire Extinguisher Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGB

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm after some info about fire extinguisher and, obviously, their use for HB.

- Is a cylinder a cylinder? or are all the different types different cylinders? I read somewhere that the heads were different for different fills and I assume the head would need to be changed or modified and at least have the dipstick removed.
- I've seen used/empty cylinders go on ebay for anywhere from $4 - $60. Assuming these are modern, refillable cylinders are they going to be OK? What if they are out of date - how much is it to get them tested again and is the testing a yearly thing like with scuba tanks?
- Does anybody in Southern-ish Sydney have a good/friendly supplier of CO2?
- I have a 1kg cylinder for in my car, is that going to be suitable for CO2/beer use? I realise 1kg is pretty small but since I already have it it would be a good backup size.

I still have a little while left on my BOC cylinder ( I knew it was a bad idea paying for a years rental upfront! ) so I'm still in the planning stage but any help would be appreciated.
I have been surfing around here for the last couple of weeks but most of the fire extinguisher info is pretty scattered amongst other threads and hard hunt down.

Kieren.

EDIT: sPEllinK

Welcome to AHB. There is a wealth of info here, so don't be afraid to search & you'll probably find answers.

That said, note that not all fire extinguishers use CO2. CO2 extinguishers are typically red with a black band. I haven't seen a 1kg Co2 extinguisher (that's not to say they don't exist). Car extinguishers were BCF & now typically dry powder. These are not suitable for CO2!!!! All Co2 cylinders are certified pressure vessels. You will find that there is a hell of a lot of pressure in a fire extinguisher - show it great respect.

There are a few different "heads", but mainly around the thread size where the hose or nozzle connects so ensure that you get 1 that your reg will screw straight onto. Any cylinder should be "in test" & have a tag/stamp to prove it. From memory, testing lasts for 5 years. I use the trigger type head which came with the extinguisher & simply give my keg a charge when the pouring pressure drops. By using it this way, i won't loose a cylinder of gas if i develop a leak.

If you get a full in test cylinder, you can easily make up a frame to hold the cylinder upside down so that you don't draw liquid CO2. When the CO2 liquid level gets down a bit you can turn things up the right way (with the dip tube in). Once the cylinder is empty you can get the dip tube removed prior to refilling it.

I am using a 5kg cylinder in this way & have got 18 months out of it so far. Very happy.

If you want a small backup supply, get a soda stream bottle & adaptor. Again, there is a lot of info here re that topic if you do a search.

Thanks guys. I've done a little more research and had a chat to Lindz the other day so now I've got a better understanding of what the deal is.
I'd already seen that thread you posted browndog and it was quite good, its basically what got me thinking more about getting an extinguisher once my rental is up. I was also wondering if anything had changed regarding filling regulations etc since that thread is a few years old now. The guy Justin sourced his from seems like he was pretty helpful - it seems like this is half the battle, trying to find someone who doesn't instantly frown and start giving you safety lectures when you mention you want to use it for homebrew!
My car cylinder is a dry powder one btw, so no good for CO2 use.

Back