Melbourne Air Liquide Deal - The Death Knell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Reaction score
I was just in Brewcraft in Heidelberg, and enquired about the Air Liquide gas deal (I've already got a supply of CO2 sorted out but I thought I might go for some nitro mix)...

It seems Brewcraft have wound up their Air Liquide deal, apparently the steel cylinders are drying up and it looks like AL are pulling the plug. So if you are a Melbourne kegger it might be worth ringing around and trying to grab a full cylinder while you still can.

Brewcraft now deal with Supagas, at $37 for the first 3 months rental plus $9 per month thereafter, plus $35 per cylinder gas price. I forgot to ask what size the cylinders are, they look a bit shorter and fatter than a VT so I guess they'd be about the same capacity, ie 10Kg.

At $108 a year cylinder rental ($153 for the first year inc gas) Supagas probably don't work out any cheaper than BOC - except that apparently Supagas will deliver to your door. They might allow you to pay the $9 each month by direct deposit or something too I suppose - didn't ask (too sad).

That is really sad news, I'm assuming the deal is finished at G&G too? They still have it up on their website.
$150 is getting quite pricy really

*cough* fire extinguisher *cough*

Shame that Vic loses the deal which really was the envy of other states...

*cough* fire extinguisher *cough*

Shame that Vic loses the deal which really was the envy of other states...

mmm, yes welcome to the real world of corporate rip off. :angry: It seems the Vics will have to now follow suit and work their way around the rental rip off merry go round. Seriously though I find it amazing that these b@$*@*%s can justify the rental they charge. I mean the cylinders are not checked for up to 5yrs or so.They are just re-filled and sent back out. I would go the extinguisher option but a refill station is an hours drive away. Plus I have started using Co2/N2 blend.
Sorry for the outburst but it does p!$$ me off.

Cheers BYB (aka Back Yard Brewer)

They'd better bloody not. Renewed my rental agreement in December. :angry:

Warren -

That is really sad news, I'm assuming the deal is finished at G&G too? They still have it up on their website.
$150 is getting quite pricy really

I don't know voota, it's probably worth ringing G&G and trying to 'grab it while you can'.

I agree, $150 a year isn't to be sneezed at. The guy in the shop tried to put it forward as 'it's only about 3 bucks a week', which is true, but it's yet another bill to pay all the same - and it makes the initial leap into kegging look so expensive, when folks are already reeling from the cost of kegs and regs and taps.

Has anyone looked into getting privately-owned cylinders / extinguishers filled in Melbourne? It would be interesting to know what options are around.

Has anyone tried dave at Greensborough HBS?

Latest posts

Back