Hydrostatic Test Locations for CO2 Cylinder - Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coxy

Reaction score
I've been trying to find somewhere that will do this, as my 6kg cylinder (which is very old) is out of test date and am struggling a bit.

So far have tried:
1. Keg King, who said they don't do testing and suggested I try the fire services (MFB).
2. MFB Victoria, who said they don't do their own testing but rather get SES to do it and gave me a number to call
3. SES, who said they only do fire extinguishers and can't help me.
[EDIT] Have now also tried Supagas (Cheltenham), BOC (Preston) and Air Liquide with no luck

I figured rather than trying to call and be rejected too many more times, I'd ask on here and see if anyone has actually had this done in Melbourne.

Last edited:
Okay, after a lot of ringing around, I chatted to John at Grain and Grape, who is happy to send my bottle off to get tested and filled when they do their next weekly bottle fill order next week. Putting it here in the interest of others who are also struggling to find somewhere that will do this.

What does it cost to have it tested and re filled? Is it much cheaper than getting a new full cylinder from Keg King or Keg land for $99.00?

I've been trying to find somewhere that will do this, as my 6kg cylinder (which is very old) is out of test date and am struggling a bit.

So far have tried:
1. Keg King, who said they don't do testing and suggested I try the fire services (MFB).
2. MFB Victoria, who said they don't do their own testing but rather get SES to do it and gave me a number to call
3. SES, who said they only do fire extinguishers and can't help me.
[EDIT] Have now also tried Supagas (Cheltenham), BOC (Preston) and Air Liquide with no luck

I figured rather than trying to call and be rejected too many more times, I'd ask on here and see if anyone has actually had this done in Melbourne.
Try Selby in Bayswater they do refills but will need to be hydro static tested first
Search cylinder hydrostatic testing there’s one in Bayswater Vic

Okay, after a lot of ringing around, I chatted to John at Grain and Grape, who is happy to send my bottle off to get tested and filled when they do their next weekly bottle fill order next week. Putting it here in the interest of others who are also struggling to find somewhere that will do this.
Did you try swap and go? Many swap and go don’t check or even care if bottles are in date and will just exchange for the price of the gas.

Even if you can’t swap is it worth the effort of hydro testing your old bottle unless you are particularly fond of it?

You can make a single trip and walk out with a new full bottle for $99.00 from either https://www.kegland.com.au/co2-gas-cylinders-6kg-full.html or https://www.keg-king.com.au/co2-cylinders.html?p=2

Or you can take your old bottle and wait for it to be tested and filled and then make a second trip to collect it. I don’t know the cost of testing + refill but would guess you won’t be far off $99.00.

Did Grain and Grape quot a price for test and fill or are they just closer and easier than KK or KL for you?

I recently went through this. G&G quoted $33 for a test no matter the size. Fill from memory was around $30 for 2.6kg. Slightly cheaper than buying a new tank, but the wait can be a problem.

Upon dropping off I noticed the KK stamp on the bottle (no stickers) so my out of date bottle was swapped on the spot.

They’re a bit out of the way for me, but G&G have a great range and great service. They get more of my custom than the brew shop a. 10 minuet walk away....

Latest posts

Back