Stuck at 1018?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
Needing some advice on what to do next. Here is the background:

On the 15th of November, I pitched 1 re-hydrated pack of BRY-97 into a batch of Black IPA (light and wheat extract and spec grains (carafa I, black, crystal 60)) at 22 degrees and set the temp controller to 18 degrees. The OG was 1.060 which was slightly higher than calculated (1.058 expected); in hindsight I probably should have pitched 2 packs of yeast.

On the 22nd (day 7) I took a hydrometer reading and got 1.018. I added 50 odd grams of hops (Nelson Sav, Centennial and Galaxy) in 3 sanitised stainless hop balls.

On the 29th (day 14) the SG is still 1.018. This is still higher than expected (1.014 according to BeerSmith).

I started following this guide: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/articles/article130.html

I did a fast fermentation test and in 3 days the SG has not moved.

I also gently swirled the fermenter and raised the temp to 21.5 degrees. Still no movement in the SG.

I'm now at the point where I'm not sure if I should rack to another fermenter and add an active starter of BRY-97 OR if I should just pitch the active starter into the existing fermenter OR if I should just bottle. If I go with the second option, should I remove the dry hops?

Any advice appreciated!!

I'd say it's probably done fermenting and it's ready to bottle.

Depending on recipe and brewing procedure I've had BRY-97 attenuate anywhere from 70 to 78 %. You got 70 % which sounds a little low for all extract, but you used spec. grains too which might add some more non-fermentables bumping up the FG.

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Its more like 68.93% and that is low ADF.
I dont know what you would expect from BRY-97 so I would go with your better judgement.
(60 - 18) / 60 = 0.7

Or is 'apparent degree of fermentation' not the same as 'apparent attenuation'?

Either way, the OP has done a fast ferment test and the SG didn't move from 1.018. So you'd have to assume that pitching more BRY-97 isn't going to make it attenuate any more.

I was using brewing software (promash) and it spat out 69.93% not that it matters , its still low. ;)
But 1% ADF does make a noticeable difference in ABV%.
Nev

verysupple said:
(60 - 18) / 60 = 0.7

Or is 'apparent degree of fermentation' not the same as 'apparent attenuation'?

Either way, the OP has done a fast ferment test and the SG didn't move from 1.018. So you'd have to assume that pitching more BRY-97 isn't going to make it attenuate any more.
Thanks for the feedback

Does that mean it's ok to bottle or should I pitch some different yeast?

Well, providing you conducted the fast ferment test correctly then I'd say it's safe to bottle it. Also, you gave it a bit of a swirl and didn't let the temp. drop and the gravity still didn't change, so it sounds like the yeast has done all it's going to in terms of fermenting sugar.

Out of curiosity, what was the exact recipe? E.g. how much of each of the extracts and spec. grains etc.?

Roast malts will add unfermentables and all extract brews often won't get down to the same gravity as KK or AG brews in my experience so there is a very good chance 1018 is it. The FF test is pretty telling. However, if glass bottling a potentially stuck fermentation, I'd always go the cautious route.

If pitching more dry, make a small active starter and try and shift the FF test. If that moves with new yeast, add to the main batch. Otherwise - done and dusted.

Or just add the active starter and see how she goes - you just may have to wait a bit for it to drop out. No harm in gentle racking and it may help shift it so that would be my preferred option.

23L

1.7 KG Light LME
1.5 KG Light DME
0.5 KG Wheat DME
0.2 KG Carafa Special I
0.2 KG Crystal 60
0.1 KG Castle Black of Black

8L boil with 800g DME:

60 min: 35 IBU of Chinook
15 min: whirfloc
10 min: 15 IBU of Galaxy, Nelson and Centennial
5 min: 10 IBU of Galaxy, Nelson and Centennial

I did have an issue with the DME clumping at flame out, so it boiled for an extra 5 mins messing up all of my IBUs. Didn't think that would impact fermenting.

Re-hydrated BRY-97 and pitched at 22 degrees. Fermented in a chest freezer with temp control set at 18.

manticle said:
Roast malts will add unfermentables and all extract brews often won't get down to the same gravity as KK or AG brews in my experience so there is a very good chance 1018 is it. The FF test is pretty telling. However, if glass bottling a potentially stuck fermentation, I'd always go the cautious route.

If pitching more dry, make a small active starter and try and shift the FF test. If that moves with new yeast, add to the main batch. Otherwise - done and dusted.

Or just add the active starter and see how she goes - you just may have to wait a bit for it to drop out. No harm in gentle racking and it may help shift it so that would be my preferred option.
I'm thinking of racking (removing the dry hop balls) and pitching an active starter.

The only other thing I can think of is bottling in PET bottles and storing them in a large plastic tub with a lid (I have a big Techni-Ice box that would easily hold 30 PET bottles).

shacked said:
I'm thinking of racking (removing the dry hop balls) and pitching an active starter.

The only other thing I can think of is bottling in PET bottles and storing them in a large plastic tub with a lid (I have a big Techni-Ice box that would easily hold 30 PET bottles).
PET is your friend in this situation
Nev

Yep, if you have PET go with them just in case.

I put your recipe into my software and it estimates an FG of 1.016. Considering there's quite a large uncertainty in such calculations and your SG is only 0.002 different (there's also an uncertainty associated with the measurement), and also from what you've already done (swirling, fast ferment test, etc.) then I'd conclude that it's most likely fermented to completion.

But again, if you have PET then it can't hurt to play it safe.

OK, I'm going to bottle them on Saturday in PET.

This is actually the last extract brew I'd planned. Just got my 40L crown urn and ready for a whole new load of challenges in AG!

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back