Strike Temp Influence On Enzymes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LLoyd

Reaction score
Does the strike temp 'set the tone' for the rest of the mash in any way, or is the enzyme type or activity affected (somewhat) equally by subsequent temp changes?

Little from column A little from Column B.
If you strike way too high there is a chance that you will denature enzymes and then temp changes after that are a waste of time. So you can't dough in at 66 and then decide to go back and do a 50deg protein rest.
Otherwise, if you're doing a stepped mashed on the way thru, a ferulic acid rest down at 45degs or so before stepping to 67degs, can potentially increase your attenuation levels beyond what you would normally expect from a 67deg mash.
Lot of book reading involved, then you throw it out the window and work it out as you actually do it.

Does the strike temp 'set the tone' for the rest of the mash in any way, or is the enzyme type or activity affected (somewhat) equally by subsequent temp changes?

If you are doing a single step infusion mash then the only way to change your entry strike temp is by adding hot or cold water to either take your temp up or bring it down. This will of course make your mash thinner than what you first intended. If your strike water is below 65c you will be in the beta amylese range. If above 65c you will be in the alpha amylese range. 65c will have the best of both. Step mashes by direct temp will afford you the opportunity of moving from low beta range through alpha range.

Have a look at this link for a better understanding on The Theory of Mashing.

Cheers, Hoges.

It also follows the process of cooking a custard "adding the hot milk to the eggs and not the egss to the milk" if that makes sense. One way (adding grain to really hot water) can denature enzymes if the temp does not equalise qucikly, the other way (adding water to grain) reduces the chance of denaturing.

I follow the 1st process and dont have any issues witha attenutation and or extraction/efficiency with my ranges of mash temps. Saying that it doesnt mean i cannot have any improvments in the above if i change my process.

as far as I know are the activities of the enzymes reversible, as long as you dont exceed a temp of 80C

There is a well known procedure for mashing, known as "descending infusion", that means mash in at around 75C and let the temp naturally drop to about 55C. This will work for sure.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Just what I needed!
Cheers all
lloydie B)

Be aware that the mash temp's used will influence the over all feel of the beer. I think you need to look deeper into the pH and the best temp range for each enzyme and work out how this will effect the finished product..
GB

This thread and what Zwickel posted has gotten me wondering whether it has ever been done to mash in at the optimum temperature for Alpha Amylase, let them do their work breaking down the sugars into short chunks for a good while (not sure how long that would need to be) and then once that has cooled to around 60C adding a fresh second mash which has been commenced at the same temperature that the first one has now reached. Theoretically, the Beta Amylase would be able to finish off the job that the Alphas started, achieving a very fermentable wort. Anyone?

A real poser Blackbock.
As Zwickel suggests in can be done to a certain extent providing the Alpha stage hasn't completely finished.
Also I'd imagine you would only get the full yield of the second mash and the initial mash will remain "Alpha"

GB is spot on with the pH.

If you mash in hot and let the temperature drop the enzymatic activity will not commence fully until the correct pH of 5.2-5,6 have been reached.

Just out of interest with-out going over board it is worth checking the pH of the liquid 20 minutes in on mashing.
If it is around 5-6 you doing great....

Back