Straining boil into fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick little question that's popped up into my head several times now when reading people's method. I read heaps of people's methods which talk about ways of avoiding blocked taps and having to clean heaps of trub out of the fermenter because of the hop pellets from a boil and every time I wonder why people don't just pour their wort through a strainer? It's what I did for my first hopped brew and literally everything solid was kept out of the fermenter. Do people prefer to have the pellet material in the fermenter after the boil for aroma and flavour purposes or is it just a Cbf?

I sometimes strain my post whirlpooled, hugely hopped brews - but it's another thing to sanitise and clean, if the strainer clogs, you need something else sanitised to unclog the strainer or risk of overflow, spills, etc.

Personally I sometimes use a hop bag over the end of the hose into the fermenter/cube. It catches the small amount that inevitably ends up settling on the inlet of the ball valve. More handy with flowers.
You do want to avoid any boiled hops and hot break material making it to your fermenter.

Nizmoose said:
Hi guys just a quick little question that's popped up into my head several times now when reading people's method. I read heaps of people's methods which talk about ways of avoiding blocked taps and having to clean heaps of trub out of the fermenter because of the hop pellets from a boil and every time I wonder why people don't just pour their wort through a strainer? It's what I did for my first hopped brew and literally everything solid was kept out of the fermenter. Do people prefer to have the pellet material in the fermenter after the boil for aroma and flavour purposes or is it just a Cbf?

That's what I do and never had a problem. A strainer isn't that hard to clean and sanitize, I just sit it in the fermenter full of cleaner / sanitizer while I boil.

If you are going to whirlpool does that mean you need a tap on the bottom of your brew pot?

If I'm doing an extract beer I usually pour the lot into the fermenter. It settles out after a couple weeks. I whirlpool my AG Brews though and leave it all in the keggle

Wigarus said:
That's what I do and never had a problem. A strainer isn't that hard to clean and sanitize, I just sit it in the fermenter full of cleaner / sanitizer while I boil.

If you are going to whirlpool does that mean you need a tap on the bottom of your brew pot?
or rack it using a siphon / hose

Not to bring up the old argument about using secondary fermenters, but I pour the whole pot into the primary fermenter; malt, hops and all (I should mention I'm an extract brewer). After two weeks in that I move it into my secondary fermenter leaving 90% of the hop mass and trub behind. By the time I bulk prime in another fermenter I have no noticeable hop or trub matter in my final product at all. Personally I think leaving the hops loose in the brew increases utilization and aroma.

Alternatively, cold crashing and/or gelatine (finings) in your primary will mean you don't need to worry to much about straining hops out of your beer either.

Might pop my own question in here. Hope OP doesnt mind.

Similar question, im looking at running a counterflow chiller on my new setup to quickly get wort temps down for pitching.
What ive read suggests cold break getting into the fermenter due to the chiller, could i whirlpool in the kettle, drain out of the kettle through the chiller, then through a swiss voile bag or something before fermenter? That an ok solution?

Neo__04 said:
Might pop my own question in here. Hope OP doesnt mind.

Similar question, im looking at running a counterflow chiller on my new setup to quickly get wort temps down for pitching.
What ive read suggests cold break getting into the fermenter due to the chiller, could i whirlpool in the kettle, drain out of the kettle through the chiller, then through a swiss voile bag or something before fermenter? That an ok solution?
Definitely don't mind my topic is well covered now :) she's all yours! :p

Latest posts

Back