Storing Half Used Tins

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebba

Reaction score
Quick one. I've used half a tin of wheat malt goo. How should I store it, and how long will it remain good?

Cheers
Zebba

Not sure if this applies to malt, but with any tinned goods you shouldn't store them in the can. Personally I'd transfer it to a container and slap it in the fridge or freezer, pending on when you think you're going to use it, wouldn't keep it in the fridge longer than a week and might last a few months in the freezer. You could also just use the malt to make a starter solution for yeasties and freeze that then thaw it whenever you need it.

Aaron

edit: spelling

Some tins come with a plastic cap that slips back on, if not, kitchen/ catering supplies should have one, used for cat/ dog food tins etc. It will keep for months in the fridge, but just watch the metal of the can doesn't start to corrode, particularly where the can opener may have scratched the tin. If that's the case then just transfer it into a plastic container, minimise the amount of air and it should be good to go for a few months. :icon_cheers:

Edit: As per Aaron's advice, perhaps not the best idea, I just watch for corrosion, some tins have a plastic internal coating and they're the ones I'm thinking of when I suggest capping. If not, then transfer into plastic or glass.

Sterilised jars seem the go to me.

Yeah I too use sterilised glass jars. I use the big jars you get from pasta sauces and sterise them.

Yeah I too use sterilised glass jars. I use the big jars you get from pasta sauces and sterise them.

Dont they just taste like tomato and garlic when u start to drink the brew?? I have soaked jars and lids in un-concentrated bleach for a week, then rinsed with hot boiled water and kept in the fridge. After a week they smell the same as if i just poured the pasta out of them and rised the bugger out with water. Or am i doing something wrong??

P.S. Sorry to HI-Jack a thread!

Back