Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disco_tezz

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have done a search, but have not found a direct answer,

Can you store beer in a Keg, for a period of time without adding CO2,

I want to do this for 2 reasons:

1 is for ageing the beer,

and the other is because I am about to move house, so i wanted to have a stock of beer ready for christmas, that has aged, and is ready to drink from my new keg sytem, also i don't have a CO2 tank yet either, which is another reason why the gas can not be added.

cheers

If you keg it with priming sugar / malt it will be under CO2, no different to botteling realy....

If you keg it with priming sugar / malt it will be under CO2, no different to botteling realy....

I didn't want to do it with primimg sugar, as it would leave sediment in the keg and produce cloudy beer when i pour, so i wanted to force carbonate, when i was ready to drink.

You should 'burp" the keg before storage. ie, displace the air in the headspace with some CO2 and let the air out thru the pressure relief valve. This will stop the beer from oxidising while it's stored. After you've done this, it should be fine for a couple months.

I didn't want to do it with primimg sugar, as it would leave sediment in the keg and produce cloudy beer when i pour, so i wanted to force carbonate, when i was ready to drink.

You'll find that the trub will actually settle after you've chilled it for a while. The first couple beers might be cloudy, but after that it should clear up so long as you don't move the keg.

You'll find that the trub will actually settle after you've chilled it for a while. The first couple beers might be cloudy, but after that it should clear up so long as you don't move the keg.

If i did do it that way would i still have to "burp" the beer?

Or am i getting the two Processes mixed up?

and i would only need to burp the beer if i was to force Carbonate at a later date.

If i did do it that way would i still have to "burp" the beer?

Or am i getting the two Processes mixed up?

and i would only need to burp the beer if i was to force Carbonate at a later date.
Burping a keg is simply the process of expelling the air from the keg. You should always do it or you risk oxidising the beer. I don't think I've ever tasted oxidised beer so I can't say what it's like but I hear it's not something you'd want to drink.
With the keg closed it's just a case of opening the valve on the keg lid and giving it a quick squirt of co2 to force the oxygen out.
If the kegs full I usually give it a squirt of c02 for about 10 seconds or so.

Burping you do when you crash carbonate, which is not an option as you said you don't have co2.

If you prime your keg with some sugar you will get some deposit, but if you chill the keg and let is settle you will draw that out with the first few beers, and NOT need a co2 bottle immediately.

hope that clears it..

Latest posts

Back