Storage Of Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balconybrewer

Reaction score
hi all,

recently i have purchased a mill and am awaiting some grain from a bulk buy, just wondering how everyone stores their grain.....?

some pics and ideas would be awesome. i dont have much space so was hoping to store about 7 different grains in about 2 tubs, obviously i need some bags or something to keep them separate.

cheers

hi all,

recently i have purchased a mill and am awaiting some grain from a bulk buy, just wondering how everyone stores their grain.....?

some pics and ideas would be awesome. i dont have much space so was hoping to store about 7 different grains in about 2 tubs, obviously i need some bags or something to keep them separate.

cheers

I've tried those plastic tubs, 57L rubbish bins, now I'm sticking to sealable 20 or 25L pails. Cockroaches can get into the gaps on the plastic tubs and bins.

Get some sticky tape and tape some dried bay leaves on the lid of your grain bin... It may help to keep those crawley things away... like cupboard moths..

Old fermenters or screwtop barrels are the best.
I've got plastic wheely bin boxes but looking at exchanging them for barrels.

Mind you if you got rats you better put in bais as they can chew through plastic.

Get some sticky tape and tape some dried bay leaves on the lid of your grain bin... It may help to keep those crawley things away... like cupboard moths..

Our pantry moths built little cocoons in our dried bay leaves in our pantry :( .
Placcy tubs are convenient until you have to deal with vermin....
I'm still a tight@r$e optimist. :rolleyes: .

I have the following bin that I picked up from Bunnings. It's large enough two hold to 25kg sacks plus a few other smaller bags. It has a vacum type of push down seal, prabably not roach proof, but that's not a problem where I live.

The smaller handy buckets are also very, well, handy. :icon_cheers:

silo.jpg

edit spelling....

Put out traps...they go for the easy option first rather than your grain which is stored.

I get excited when i catch a mouse every now and then. :)

Our pantry moths built little cocoons in our dried bay leaves in our pantry :( .

:icon_offtopic:
clever little moths...

try lavender oil....... in pantry not (grain bin)....

I conquered them eventually....

so what is the tight ass tight air solution, the pails seem to be the go but where do we source them from?????

the bails can be bought at bunnings. I used to use heaps of them for fermenting mash to distill.
I grapes mine from either a local sub shop $4 each (from mayo and pickels) or from my local ice cream shop $4 each from soft serve. So there food grade and ants don't get in so roaches won't b an issue.

Latest posts

Back