Stone's Green Ginger Wine Style Emulsion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clovbes can numb the palate in too much dose. I would go with all spice as it gives the taste of cloves without any heat or numbing of palate.

+1

Cloves are strong and harsh if not used in metered doses. Although some ground corrianda seeds for fragrance? Just putting it out there?

Not in this batch since I'm not even 100% certain what I'm going to do with it. For now I'll do without aroma additions and focus on getting the taste right. Sounds like another good idea for down the line, though.

Watch out with cloves in alcohol - they tend to make sleeping potion. Dunno if you've ever tried mulled red wine (with cloves) after a hard days work, but that stuff will knock you out!

I chucked some in a GB I recently made but that won't be done sitting in the bottle for a couple weeks yet so I dunno. Maybe I'll leave the cloves out of this batch and wait to see if it is needed.

Ah! Thanks heaps. Definitely wait for a bigger batch before I play with cloves.

I have one clove in a 4 litre batch of Mead. The other has 2 cloves and I am wondering if I over did it :p

Only time will tell as I am still waiting for my 2 Clove JAO to clear.

cloves take forever to mellow out. so even if it tastes like too much early on, it may be ok.

Is there an update on this thread bum?

How did you go with your experimenting and research?

I've done 1 experiment that i can't link to here, but it turned out awful.

By all reports this recipe goes pretty close :- Green Ginger Wine
IFRC there is one in CJJ Berries book First Steps in Winemaking but I think its another one with cloves which really dont work for me, unless they are very sparingly used.
Mark

Thanks mark, may try converting that to a maceration recipe and fortifying with vodka or white rum.

Just to see how it goes before actually going to the trouble of fermenting it. If it's somewhere close i'll give the fermentation a go.

The recipe here for the lazy clickers, from Jack kellers wine recipe blog.

GINGER WINE

7-1/2 pts unsweetened white grape juice (from concentrate)
1/2 lb chopped or minced golden raisins
2 oz ginger root
2 lbs granulated sugar
1/2 tsp acid blend
1/4 tsp grape tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt Champagne wine yeast

Mix up the grape juice and dissolve the sugar into it in the primary fermentation vessel. Shred the ginger and add it and the chopped or minced raisins to the primary. Add acid blend, tannin and yeast nutrient to must and stir well to dissolve. Sprinkle dry yeast on top of must (do not stir) and cover primary with sterilized cloth. After two days, stir twice daily until specific gravity drops to 1.020. Pour must through nylon straining bag (to collect solids) into secondary and squeeze bag to extract all juice. Discard solids and fit airlock to secondary. Rack after 30 days, top up and reattach airlock. Ferment to absolute dryness (about 2 more months), stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10 additional days, and rack into bottles. May drink immediately, but will improve with 6 months aging. This wine may be served as is or blended with other wines lacking in interest. [Adapted from W.H.T. Tayleur's The Penguin Book of Home Brewing & Wine-Making]

My thanks to Floyd Humphries for the request.

I did a small scale experiment (i.e. half-arsed) based on this thread that didn't turn out too great (but I blame the lack of arse and not the info). I didn't really give much thought to volumes and the balance was so far underdone that even using the word 'balance' is inappropriate. I think the key would be to make the emulsion as gingery as humanly possible so it is strong enough (and you have enough of it) to really tweak the balance from bottle to bottle as opposed to burning the lot on one batch. Not to mention needing enough to find the right wine.

I haven't gone on to experiment further because I always used Stones as a mixer and my body has seen fit to decide that spirits give me wicked hangovers now so I do not drink them any more.

I'm sure Mark's recipe is nice but I don't see it nailing the commercial Stones example. It is definitely a ginger syrup of some description blended with a pre-made white wine. Fermenting the ginger element would change the final product for sure.

Even if I could re-create this exactly, no one I know would drink it, Stoneys Green Ginger Wine or 'Green Steam' as its referred to around here, is best cooled and swigged from the bottle in a group of mates, or if your beer tastes like shit or is warm, you top up with Green Steam, it follows me to any major event, camping trip or local Rugby game :p

snip
I'm sure Mark's recipe is nice but I don't see it nailing the commercial Stones example. It is definitely a ginger syrup of some description blended with a pre-made white wine. Fermenting the ginger element would change the final product for sure.

Not my recipe, but funnily enough Stone still claim theirs is made to the traditional recipe ginger fermented with raisins.
M

Just did a bit more googeling, the English website says made the original way, in Australia it looks like its just dried ginger in brandy marc for a week then mix in white wine (and I suspect a bit of sugar) - Oh well, shits me when people change the process and keep calling it Original, Traditional...
Mark

Might try that too. got access to plenty of kentucky brandy atm. :D

That is pretty much exactly what I was looking for once the spirit base was suggested but I didn't know it existed. The idea had dropped off the radar (SWMBO still drinks it but not enough to bother making any) but I may grab a bottle of that at some point and try again anyway. Cheers.

Hi all, just joined up. was reading up on this topic started by bum.
does anyone know if he/she managed to make a recipe for ginger wine. tried to make contact but no luck.
or has anyone else here managed to come close to the taste of it.
many thanks

Latest posts

Back