Stone's Green Ginger Wine Style Emulsion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how I might go about making a ginger emulsion similar in style to the one used in Stone's Green Ginger Wine? I guess ultimately I would use it to make my own Stone's but right now my idea is to use the emulsion only like a cordial to put in all sorts of ill-advised beverages.

The obvious answer is just to boil up a metric shedload of ginger but I've done this for a ginger beer I made from scratch and the results seem to bare little resemblance to what I am hoping for.

Any ideas?

I know this ain't what your after but the Ginger Refresher is a pearler.

Other than that:

500gr Fresh Ginger grated
2kg Brown Sugar
200gr Honey (optional)
3 Lemons squeezed add lemon rind of 2
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1/4 Teaspoon cardomon powder (optional)
1 Star aniseed crushed (optional)
5lt of water

Simmer to reduce to syrup consistancy. Do not boil you will either bitter it or caramelize the sugars. I make this a pseudo ginger cordial.

Hope this helps?

Chappo

Because Stone's is sweet ambrosia from the heavens.

Because every time I pour some it makes me wish I was homeless so I could drink it all day.

I know this ain't what your after but the Ginger Refresher is a pearler.

Other than that:

500gr Fresh Ginger grated
2kg Brown Sugar
200gr Honey (optional)
3 Lemons squeezed add lemon rind of 2
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1/4 Teaspoon cardomon powder (optional)
1 Star aniseed crushed (optional)
5lt of water

Simmer to reduce to syrup consistancy. Do not boil you will either bitter it or caramelize the sugars. I make this a pseudo ginger cordial.

Hope this helps?

Chappo

Thanks, Chappo. That looks like a cracker and I'll probably give it a crack at some point but, as you say, not quite what I'm after.

Actually, the cardamom is a great idea. I'll be throwing that in the next GB for sure!

well stones is a ginger wine. but sort of like an elixer also (elixer is where fruit etc has pure spirit like vodka added and allows the spirit to steep out all the flavour/goodies of the fruit. rack and then you've got your elixer).

so you could probably make a ginger/spiced elixer and then dilute it down to wine strength. although its almost like a mulled wine.... need ingrediants list for stones and I could probably come up with something for you.

from the stones website
"Stone's Original Green Ginger Wine is still made to the same recipe by blending the finest quality raisins and pure ground ginger"

so its sort of like a pyment (mead and grape juice). maybe you can get your hands on some raisin juice/concentrate and ginger etc and ferment it? then maybe add some elixer to give it that special 'hot alc' taste Stones has. I recon I hit it up with a bit of all spice as well fro some body.

Thanks for the info. And I will look into the elixir idea. The only thing is I think the Stone's website sends us on a bit of a wrong'un because the ginger is added to a white wine base after fermentation - at least that's what the bottle used to say. You've given me an idea though, when I get a chance I'll start trying to reaseach the history of Stone's and see how it used to be made (which will be much closer to something I can replicate at home, I'd imagine). Thanks again.

Despite having more important (as determined by others) things to do right now, I started researching. I found many interesting things - such as Stone's was once a treatment for cholera! But I digress. I found this:
The character of the ginger is drawn out by infusing it in spirit for an extended period. This infusion is then added to a neutral dry white wine, before it is then blended further with other components...
So I guess the boiling does not work (as suspected) but what sort of spirit would I need to infuse it with? I don't have a still to make some sort of raw spirit, would there be something I could buy to use? Yes, I know many will want to suggest I use metholated spirits as there will be little difference in taste.

[EDIT] So with that info in hand I've re-read your post and understand the elixir part better, citymorgue. Looks like you were on the money to begin with. Ok, now I need to work out which would be the most tasteless vodka to use. I'll do some elixir research. Thanks again for your help!

Any decent vodka will do the trick. If you wanted to get something a bit fancy I imagine brandy would compliment everything as well.

So would higher alc indicate it be closer to a more pure spirit?

It is funny you mention brandy because I came across this researching the ginger side of things and it looks to be the duck's nuts.
http://www.domainedecanton.com/
Very expensive ducks, I'd be guessing.

cheap flavourless vodka is the go. you dont want any flavour from the spirit. You could use a differant spirit if you wanted additional flavours, but cheap old vodka is fine.

yes higher alc is a purer spirit. pure spirit is just under 100%. i beleive that at 100% alc vapourises into a gas.

Excellent. You've been most helpful.

I'll do a small test batch (of maybe half a bottle of vodka - I assume my end product is going to be of a similar volume) once I work out the correct procedure and I'll post up my findings in case anyone is interested.

You know what to do now. Vodka would be the safe option.

Yeah, I'll be doing the vodka for sure.
I'm thinking I will just try the Canton next time I'm in the States, though - no distribution here. Turns out it is expensive by US standards but not by Australian. US$35 a bottle - yeah, not cheap but also not prohibitive while on holiday.

I'm a bit confused on what you're going to do. Are you going to fortify some wine with a ginger-infused spirit or create it from 'scratch'.

At this point I am going to do the infusion with an eye on using it to making a full-blown Stone's down the road. But my real interest now is seeing what I can do with the elixir in other drinks and possibly even cooking.

I did say in the first post that my motives were possibly ill-advised.

Hey bum,
(tehehehe love saying that and getting away with it :D )

Can ya keep this thread updated as I would be keen to pitch in plus have a go myself FIL loves the stuff.

Cheers

Chappo

Edit: FFS missed entire word?

Easy done.

Wondered if maybe a small amount of cloves might be a welcome addition. Or would it be unnecessary with the warmth from the ginger?

clovbes can numb the palate in too much dose. I would go with all spice as it gives the taste of cloves without any heat or numbing of palate.

Perhaps a numb mouth is required for bathtub Stone's?

Thanks for the tip. Was thinking of only one or two per vodka bottle (not planning on doing it in the bottle, just talking volume). Do you think that would tip it over the flavour/numbness balance? I want to use the spices to add depth but I'm wondering if all spice is a bit too scatter-shot for something like this and it'll lose focus? Am I talking out of my bum (no relation)?

Latest posts

Back