Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Mead Experimentations

Discussion in ''Non Beer' Brewing' started by brucearnold, 8/7/18.

1. brucearnold

Home Page:
    Posted 8/7/18
    AHBers,

I am giving mead another try (have done JOAM in the past) but want to find the yeast that gives the best result for me for a dry mead similar to a wine. To try and make things scientific I have used the same recipe, just varied the yeast for individual batches, so far 4 batches have been made with results that have left me scratching my head.

Batch #1: EC-1118
    Brewed 22-Feb 2018, transferred 18-Apr.
    Still cloudy, but the flavor was good when it was transferred.

Batch #2: M05
    Brewed 4-Mar 2018, transferred 18-Apr, bottled 8-Jul.
    Clear, slightly fizzy, clean sharp taste.

Batch #3: CL23
    Brewed 18-Apr 2018, transferred 8-Jul.
    Still cloudy, flavor was a little off compared to the first two.

Batch #4: SN9
    Brewed 18-Apr 2018, transferred 8-Jul.
    Still cloudy, flavor was not nice (rotten veg).

The recipe was the boil method (10 min), honey, acid blend, yeast nutrient, water. Fermented in 5L glass demijohns with airlocks, in a fermentation chamber holding at 17.5degC.

Does anybody have knowledge on wine yeasts and how long they take to clear?
    Do I have 3/4 batches cooked and ready for the drain?

Thanks for any help.

2. MHB

Posted 8/7/18
    Try the Wyeast Dry Mead 4632
    Tried lots of others and keep coming back to this one. Mostly I make sweet (mumsy) meads but at fairly high alcohol content and the dry mead will go out to 18% (with care and feeding) I mostly brew at 18-20oC and am mainly making Raspberry Melomels.
    Mark

3. brucearnold

Home Page:
    Posted 8/7/18
    Thanks Mark, I will give that one a go. I am trying to restrain the alcohol to around 10.5%-12% so it is more white wine strength than a spirit. Do you have issues with cloudiness from wine yeasts?

4. MHB

Posted 8/7/18
    Alcohol is a function of OG, so getting say 11% just means adjusting the amount of honey you use.
    Personally for the effort in making good mead I find the wine like ones tasty enough but more expensive and more work than a decent bottle Aussie white so I tend to focus on the more Liquor like super sweets (which I like in wines to - just cant really afford good ones), requires a highly attenuative yeast like Dry Mead.
    Cloudiness? Not really just a function of time and if that doesn't fix it cold maturation which is a part of my stabilisation process anyway, though with good nutrient and acid balance at the start I haven't had any major issues.
    Mark

Slurp likes this.
  5. Slurp

Posted 10/8/18
    I am about to have a crack at some mead, I use EC1118 to good effect in my ciders. If you are looking for super clear mead, my understanding is you are going to need to use both finings and a good whack of time. I cold crash my ciders and beers and with the ciders using EC1118 it drops like a stone cold crashing, but I find I still get chill haze if I keg and serve within 2 months. An extra racking step (2 x total) will also help. Keen to try Lavin DB47, it seems to produce a great cider from the reading I have done.

6. HaveFun

Cheese Maker
    Posted 19/8/18
    I did my first mead today :)

3kg local WA red gum honey and 6l RO Water + I used Mangrove Jacks M05 yeast.

SG 1.1047

I will ferment in a corny keg under a little bit of pressure at 16°.

After the first fermentation, I will split the mead and add different fruits and flavours for the second fermentation.

Cheers
    Stefan

7. altone

Kept man
    Posted 19/8/18
    Do you mean something along the lines of a noble Reisling? If so I might try a small batch in my 6l glass flagon.

edit: I've got access to some yellow box honey at a good price so thought that might fit well.

cheers

8. MHB

Posted 19/8/18
    Yes, or an Auslese, Sauterne.. really aiming to get something like a good Trockenbeerenauslese.
    Like any other type of brewing, lots of good healthy yeast, incremental feeding and patience.
    Mark

9. altone

Kept man
    Posted 19/8/18
    Wohoo - definitely giving it a go - you have a good recipe? or still working on it.
    Like I said I'll be trying a small experiment first but then......

edit: the Brown Bros noble riesling I like is around $40 for 375ml so if I can make something sweet and tasty it's gotta be worth a shot.

Last edited: 19/8/18
  10. Slurp

Posted 19/8/18
    Nice! My beechworth orange blossom honey arrived last week, just waiting for my DB-47 yeast and I'll be underway. I have 9.5kg of it so planning on doing 3 small batches which should see me hit similar SG. The reading I have done suggests you should be stirring vigorously twice a day for the first 3 days to keep the oxygen in the yeast, keep us updated on the under pressure ferment. Not familiar with M05 - what is its maximum alcohol tolerance?

HaveFun likes this.
  11. MHB

Posted 19/8/18
    I wouldn't be adding all the honey at the start, puts a lot of stress on the yeast and you will never get as high an attenuation as you will if you feed the honey in doses.
    I use the Wyeast Dry Mead yeast, with care and patience I have got it up to 17%, using Wyeast nutrient about three feedings and a couple of racking's.
    Mark

Slurp likes this.
  12. Slurp

Posted 20/8/18
    Do you use GoFerm to prepare your yeast too? I have read that it is pretty much essential for big sticky meads. I picked some up but curious how much of a difference it makes.

13. MHB

Posted 20/8/18
    No, but I don't start the yeast in a very high gravity wort (usually around 1.050-60).
    Mark

Slurp likes this.