Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine smelt like passion fruit before dry hopping @arch82, so don't worry

Ben1 said:
Mine smelt like passion fruit before dry hopping @arch82, so don't worry
That's precisely his worry. He said his doesn't smell like passion fruit at the moment.

No worries Ben1.

I think she's toast boys...fermented super fast even at 18.5*c, almost seemed carbonated when poured into a glass, smells and tastes pretty ordinary (faint rotten vege sort of smell).

Is there a sure fire way to confirm it's infected? Thinking about dumping it and saving the galaxy hops i was going to dry hop with..

Shanta said:
Hello fellow brewers!

I can across this recipe and felt the need to share it on this website and also ask some questions in regards to it.

Recipe: 109 Stone & Wood Pacific Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Light Extract (3.5 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract (4.2 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale US05 Yeast-Ale

Bring
4L of water and approx 520g of the light extract to the boil. Add 10g Galaxy hops, after 10 minutes add another 15g Galaxy hops, after another 10 minutes take off the heat and add the final 20g Galaxy Hops. I usually put the lid on the pot for the last 2 minutes so that the steam sterilizes the lid.

While this is boiling add a few litres of water to the fermenter and then the rest of the malt extract, stir thoroughly. Cool the pot in a sink of cold water and then add to the fermenter (I don't strain the hops out). Top up to 23L. Pitch the yeast and ferment at 18C. I bottled after 3 weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this recipe in mind I would like to try to add some grain to this bill can anyone recommend anything or any alterations that you believe might be worth while?

cheers
hey is this the complete recipe what base kit did u use such as coopers pale ale?? sorry if uneducated question..

Arch82 said:
No worries Ben1.

I think she's toast boys...fermented super fast even at 18.5*c, almost seemed carbonated when poured into a glass, smells and tastes pretty ordinary (faint rotten vege sort of smell).

Is there a sure fire way to confirm it's infected? Thinking about dumping it and saving the galaxy hops i was going to dry hop with..
Check the gravity - is it lower than expected? Then wait a bit longer (another week or two) and check again...has the gravity gone down even further? If so, then yes, it is infected :blink: if not, then maybe it's just a byproduct of your fermentation or an aspect of your brewing process.
Either way, give it some time. You'll either find out that it actually is infected, or it may improve. As hard as it may seem to believe, sometimes the yeast can throw off some really rough flavours like that (I made a S&W PC clone that tasted similar for about a month or two, then slowly became absolutely lovely) that will go away with time (and be covered by a generous dry hop)

Hay fellow beerologists i'm thinking of giving this recipe a crack, in the next month or so.... just put on my peated dark ale so the fv will be full for the next 3 or 4 weeks. never tried the real deal brew though. might have to see if dans has it here in Adelaide.

thinking of making as the op but with citra and/or Amarillo added as a dry hop... I have 25g citra (13.5%) and 100g Amarillo (8%) any suggestions as to how much of each would result in something similar to the real deal?
I also have 20g mosaic (12.8%) available that is also nice and fruity so can add some of that to the mix too.... was going to try for a fruit salad ale but this beer sounds like a go first.

my 2nd brew was a galaxy and mosaic pale and came out really fruity and is absolutely delicious. that brew was dry hopped with both hops for 9 days as well as boils and I have not experienced the "grassy" taste that a lot of people say happens with galaxy.

I have not looked into what and why of all the different yeasts available yet so which yeast would be recommended for this brew and the best temp to ferment at?... I have a us-05 in the fridge but will use something else if its a preferred option.
so far i've used a kit yeast, a us-05 and my peated dark has an s-04... all just dry sprinkled between 20c & 23c
I have a temp controller and belt heater so with this cold Adelaide weather I can hold at a pretty consistent temp of between 15c and well into the 20s. my 1st brew was set at 22c, my 2nd at 21c and my peated dark at 19c

any help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers fellas

Hi Guys,
First post here and must say thank you all so much for your wealth of knowledge thus far. Have been brewing for nearly a year now and cpuldnt habe done it without the help of the forum. (Well thats i lie but id no doubt be drinking piss)
Just thought id share. I put this one on the as per the OP receipe and its a great drop! Just cracked one today after 3 weeks in bottle (couldnt wait any longer) Not quite as hoppy as the original but definately very easy drinking. Have a feeling the ladies will like this one. I got heaps of passionfruit, no banana skins. Like Matt i found it seemed to take an eternity to reach FG bit will take advice onboard and double yeast next time. Thinking i might throw another one on IMMEDIATELY! Perhaps some cascade also this time with the first addition on Galaxy methinks.

Cascade in the dry hopping is a winner I did 20g on day 5 and 15 galaxy on day 10

great wombatski, using citra and amarillo won't get you anything close to the real deal unfortunately. But first things first, you're probably going to want to buy a bottle (its much nice on tap though) before you go all out and try to make a batch. You might hate it after all...

The hops you mention are all great, however not what you're ideally after. Amarillo has some similarities to Galaxy, but Galaxy really does sit on its own as a hop.

If you follow the recipe and use US-05 yeast at around 18 you should come out pretty close. To get that fruity aroma that Stone & Wood has, you are going to want to dry hop a shitload. When dry hopping with galaxy to that extent, it definitely 'can' give off some grassy notes.

Best way around this is to cool the fermenter right down after ferment has finished (ideally as close to zero as possible) then add the galaxy for 4-5 days. By adding the hops when the beer is cold you won't get that grassy taste/smell that people often complain about, or at least it will be significantly reduced.

hope that helps.

Thanks for input JoshF. I will defiantly give it my best to find it here in Adelaide and try. Will keep it same as OP if that's the best result though... Can still use all my hops for an attemp at a fruit salad ale after that so all good.
No drama fermenting at 18c and my pail fermenter just fits in my bar fridge so I can cold crash if that will result in the best outcome :)

Another noob question. How long would you steep the 250gm of carapils for and in how much water? Overnight in cold or steeping in hot water? Also I'm assuming you don't need any dextrose?

I steeped the carapils in 1.5lts of roughly 75'c water for 30min. I find the best way to do this is to bring the water up to temp in a pot on the stove then turn off the heat, stir in the grains and pop the lid on the pot. Steeping is very simple and you don't have to fuss over it too much. If you like you can even wash the grains a second time with another 500mls of hot water after you've strained them the first time.

Just try not to go over 80'c with your water or you might notice some harsher flavours....

I really do love insainly hoppy beers so I think I will make this as the OP + 5g in the boil but then dry hop with 30g Galaxy. (I have 80g at hand) and up my boil rates a little. I know I'm getting out of the original recipe but i would like to push the IBUs up as it really does sound a little low for an APA to me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Also thinking of dropping the LLME for an amber LME as I do prefer my beers on the darker side.... And I currently have a 1.7kg can of Black Rock in stock.
Yes I'm a noob and it's probably answered elsewhere but is there much difference between the Coopers 1.5kg cans and the Black Rock 1.7kg cans or is it just more water in the BR?

There is a 200g difference between the two different can of malt which means a bit of extra fermentables from the black rock tin over the coopers. IMO there it doesn't make much difference in the final specific gravity of your beer and it's alcohol content though (it'll be a tiny bit stronger and fractionally fuller bodied) you could add another liter of water to your FV if you're fussy about getting that part of it right. However; the amber malt blended with the wheat in place of the light malt will make it something closer to a golden ale.

That being said, I've made an golden ale with galaxy before and I really liked it - it just didn't taste a lot like the S&W pacificale. Still tasty though...

Thanks for the reply menoetes.
Not really fussed about the gravity being a little different or stronger for that matter. Fuller bodied does sound good though. Lol
Might see if I can rustle up a llme can before I brew so I've still got about 3 weeks before I need to think about it. As you said, it should turn out a pretty good beer even if I do roll with the Amber.... No harm in making it both ways 1 after the other though :)
[emoji482]

I'm looking at putting this one down on the weekend, but when I plug the details into Ian's spreadsheet I get IBUs of 10.4 or 17. depending on whether I have the hop concentration factor on or not. This seems very low for a pale ale. Am I reading it wrong or something?

Latest posts

Back