Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put this on. I rolled with...

1 x Blackrock Unhoped Amber
1 x Blackrock Unhopped Wheat
1 x 500g LDME
80g x Galaxy Hops (15g @ 30min, 15g @ 15 min, 10g @ 10min, 10g @ 5min, 30g @ day 14)
1 x us-05 yeast
Topped to 24L

Method
Bring 4.75L water to the boil, add 500g LDME and bring to the boil. Add 1st hop addition and boil for 15 mins, add 2nd hop addition and boil for 5 mins, add 3rd hop addition and boil for 5 mins, add 4th hop addition and boil for 5 mins. Steep for 15 mins then mix in the malts and add to the fermenter. Top to 24 liters

Made this 2 weeks ago and dry hopped 2 days ago with 20g of galaxy. I also have some Amarillo and centennial hops. Would it be worth adding some of these in another dry hop addition or would it be over complicating things?

Mine has been in the keg for about a week and am not sure how long it will last! Definitely my best brew. Even my old man said he would quite happily drink it all day.
Unfortunately now the weather is hot again my temp control goes out the window.

If you lads are looking for the 'authentic' experience with S&W PA, you shouldn't be using Cascade or anything outside of Galaxy IMO - S&W don't use it, so why would you?

If you're just looking for a good beer with a mix of hops that play well together, go for your life. Galaxy and Cascade/Amarillo sounds feckin delightful!

drfad said:
I'm looking at putting this one down on the weekend, but when I plug the details into Ian's spreadsheet I get IBUs of 10.4 or 17. depending on whether I have the hop concentration factor on or not. This seems very low for a pale ale. Am I reading it wrong or something?
No too far off, the commercial example is around 16 IBU
Good to see that some Galaxy is available again because Pacific Ale uses only the one hop.
Personally I think you are missing a trick not doing this one as an AG brew, or at least doing a reasonable sized partial. there is I understand about 10% each of Flaked Wheat and Flaked Oats which gives the beer quite a big hunk of its smooth full character and that pearlescent look not to mention the head.
For a 23L batch something like 500g of each of the Oats and Wheat, mini mashed with 1-2Kg of pale malt would help, mind you we are now looking at 2-3Kg of grain and its only another 2.5ish Kg to go all grain, worth it I think.
If you aren't ready to bight the bullet, even just 500g of Oats and 1Kg of Pale Malt mini-mashed in a sauce pan on the stove would be a big step in the right direction.
Mark

Sounds like a plan to me MHB. When I get some permanent living arrangements sorted I'm thinking of getting a grainfather + the still stop so I can do AG beer as well as spirits :)

Slcmoro, I used100% Galaxy in mine 80gs worth [emoji482]

This is a great recipe, I've made it several times now. I was thinking about putting down another batch but adding some dextrose to increase the ABV. Does anyone know what the alcohol % is when made as per the 1st post? And what would it be if I were to add 0.5kg or 1kg of dex?

Looks like a good recipe. I just put the basics into the spreadsheet and got 5%, that's for bottling with carbonation drops, I don't keg or bulk prime. Think that would make it slightly less but not much. 500gms Dex takes it up to 6%. I reckon for me personally that would be more than enough. I'm not that experienced but I feel like any more and it might start interfering with the flavour.

MHB would their oats be degermed? I recently did some research into oats, that were historically used in mainstream brewing, especially during malt shortages like WW2. Can't find the reference right now but I believe that the likes of Uncle Toby won't really hack it due to head killing oil content.

Is the degermed one available to home brewers?
I once tried some brewing oats from a sponsor but they were way past their best so chucked them.

I can confirm, I put 500g of Uncle Toby's quick oats into a RIS and it has poor head retention. It has a wonderful mouthfeel but shae there's no head.

I can't find much info about degermed oats. Is there another term for them?

I went to the LHBS and asked for oats there before brewing the RIS, but they had ran out. I asked if the stuff at the supermarket was the same and they didnt know for sure but suspected it was.

Totally opposite experience.
As the guys at the recent case swap could testify, a 20% oats red IPA I've recently done has a fantastic (if I do say so myself!) tight creamy head. Definitely seemed to have no issue with oils negatively affecting head retention, if that addresses your concerns. Obviously hops oils would contribute significantly, but it certainly seemed like at the least the oats weren't diminishing the head.

Oh, I used generic brand instant oats.

I doubt the Flaked Oats used in brewing are degermed, there are no "brewing" varieties of oats, nor to the best of my knowledge any rolled/flaked product made for specifically for brewing. Malted and Crystal oats being exceptions, but aren't flaked.

Most of the oil is trapped in the grist during mashing, arguably a clear running well recirculated conventional mash (as opposed to BIAB) could reduce the oil going to the kettle, not over sparging nor sparging too hot could also minimise the oil extraction. On balance I wouldn't be too concerned.
I have seen 100% Oat Malt beer, had no head problems, in fact tended to be a bit on the foamy side, so maybe the Oats are rich in head building protein, like Wheat (a guess I would need to do some more research on that one) that makes up for the extra fat content.

Mark

I have a question about the first recipe posted.
It specifies 1.5kg of both liquid light extract and liquid wheat malt extract.
In the instructions you only use 0.52kg of the liquid light in the boil, but put all of the liquid wheat malt in the fermenter.
Does the rest of the liquid light just get put aside or should it all be added to the fermenter?

Add the remaining malts after the boil to either the pot or the fermenter. running the number through Ianh's spread sheet gives an OG of 1.040 with all fermentables.
Good luck with the brew!

So I started with the idea of the original recipe posted at the start of this thread but have altered it just like everyone else.

Ended up Buying
American Ale US-05
Black Rock Blonde
Black Rock Wheat
2x Galaxy Hop 25g

I bought 25 L of Pureau Water

Boiled 4L of Water added the 520g of the Blonde Can.
Then cooke the Galaxy Hops
20mins 10g Galaxy
10mins 15g Galaxy
0mins (turned heat off) 20g Galaxy.

I'd say it steeped for 15-30 mins.
I then Cooled down the pot and and added to my wort with the rest of the Extract Cans. Funnily enough I had to bring up the Vessel from 12C to 18 and eventually pitched my liquified US05 at 14-16 degrees, but it would of soon been 18C as the Wort was placed in my fridge with a fitted heat globe and STC-1000 Temp Controller.

The OG was 1.042
Two weeks later it was 1.010 when I transferred it to a secondary fermenter.
I let it sit for two days and then dry hopped 5g of Galaxy (left over) & 25g of Moisac. its been about 1 and half days worth of dry hopping. I plan on dry hopping for 3 days and then Cold Crashing for 1.

So far it tastes pretty strong and smells good. I'm hoping the dry hopping really intensifies the aroma even further.

Latest posts

Back