Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt the Flaked Oats used in brewing are degermed, there are no "brewing" varieties of oats, nor to the best of my knowledge any rolled/flaked product made for specifically for brewing. Malted and Crystal oats being exceptions, but aren't flaked.

Most of the oil is trapped in the grist during mashing, arguably a clear running well recirculated conventional mash (as opposed to BIAB) could reduce the oil going to the kettle, not over sparging nor sparging too hot could also minimise the oil extraction. On balance I wouldn't be too concerned.
I have seen 100% Oat Malt beer, had no head problems, in fact tended to be a bit on the foamy side, so maybe the Oats are rich in head building protein, like Wheat (a guess I would need to do some more research on that one) that makes up for the extra fat content.

Mark
I restocked on RB recently, might give oats another go next stout and see how it turns out.

Were you expecting a response to your previous post? You didn't ask a question?

On a side not my keg of all grain Pacific Ale blew last night. Might have to do another, it was a great beer.

Well given that it is a "forum" I would of thought everything is intended for comment..

You might find that the kit section of the forum is a bit quieter than the rest of it - most people do all grain and don't have very much to add.
People are more than willing to help though if you have any questions. Maybe less so though if you tell them to go **** themselves =/
I don't think I've ever been involved in such a helpful forum as this one!

You might find that the kit section of the forum is a bit quieter than the rest of it - most people do all grain and don't have very much to add.
People are more than willing to help though if you have any questions. Maybe less so though if you tell them to go **** themselves =/
I don't think I've ever been involved in such a helpful forum as this one!

I don't recall telling anyone to fo an f#@k themselves. Just matching sarcasm with sarcasm.

Well given that it is a "forum" I would of thought everything is intended for comment..
Everything is *open* for comment. If nobody has anything to say (because, say, no advice was requested or it's just another recipe), that's no reflection on you nor the forum. If you crave that sort of thing you'd best try posting it to Facebook instead.

I would suggest if your looking for feedback on a recipe then just ask for it. If not, feel free to share at and then report back with your findings.

My first thought on an extract Pacific Ale would be what % wheat is a can of wheat extract exactly?

According to this its "over 50%" http://www.blackrock.co.nz/malt-extracts/item/69-unhopped-wheat

So I would be more inclined to go for 2 cans of wheat plus some LDME to boost the gravity.

Your hop additions look tasty, might be slightly different due to the mosaic dry hop but it will still be a cracker. Galaxy has a very particular impact on a beer when used as a dry hop.

Also, at only 4L of boil volume I would suspect hop utilization to be impacted. Try to get your boil volume up to at least 8L. Probably not a big issue with such a low IBU brew though.

I would suggest if your looking for feedback on a recipe then just ask for it. If not, feel free to share at and then report back with your findings.

My first thought on an extract Pacific Ale would be what % wheat is a can of wheat extract exactly?

According to this its "over 50%" http://www.blackrock.co.nz/malt-extracts/item/69-unhopped-wheat

So I would be more inclined to go for 2 cans of wheat plus some LDME to boost the gravity.

Your hop additions look tasty, might be slightly different due to the mosaic dry hop but it will still be a cracker. Galaxy has a very particular impact on a beer when used as a dry hop.

Also, at only 4L of boil volume I would suspect hop utilization to be impacted. Try to get your boil volume up to at least 8L. Probably not a big issue with such a low IBU brew though.

Thanks mate. I'll look at 8L boil next time.
Ive just about to bottle it tonight, after cold crashing it for 3 days. Smells bloody amazing!
Will let you know how it turns out!

I don't need the internets help for that. Sounds like you're the shy one.

13671930_1776502835896089_70702024_n.jpg

Hello fellas, just put down a similar brews but with 20g galaxy @ 30 mins, 15g galaxy at 15 mins and 15g galaxy @ flameout. Topped up to 21.5 litres and got a og of 1.043. Don't know why but on Ians spreadsheet the ibus are heaps different with the original recipe. Maybe I goofed it and it will be way bitter but I suppose I'll find out. Have about 40 ish grams to dry hop too, probably for a day before cold crashing.

Used briess pale malt instead of coopers as well, not that that will make a huge difference. So besides prostate rubbing, has anyone tried anything like this recently?

Galaxy @ 30min might give you some harsh bitterness, it's generally recommended to only use later in the boil. See how you go though, if you've already done the brew, might as well see it through

My brother did a SWPA clone k'n'k beer,

1 can Mangrove Jacks Blonde
500g Glucose
500g LDME
20g Galaxy @ 5 min
20g Galaxy dry hop day 4 of ferment

22L batch size.

US-05 Ferment @ 18c.

Tastes pretty close, been a while since I've had a SWPA but I'd say a clone is accurate.
I can't taste any kit twang in it and he recently won a comp with it beating ~50 or so entries all grain entries included.

(He also had no idea what a hydrometer or 'gravity' was and was drinking them after being bottled for two weeks, needless to say it wasn't his brewing skill that made it a decent thirst quencher)

Don't know why but on Ians spreadsheet the ibus are heaps different with the original recipe
I'm still trying to get the smell out my fingers so I haven't tried this recipe, but have a fiddle with the hop utilisation numbers to see if that fixes the ibu numbers. I don't know how it works but I had troubles figuring out the numbers as well, it was always different from brewers friend so I got confused

Latest posts

Back