Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

Discussion in 'Kits & Extracts' started by Shanta, 18/3/13.

1. Lachlan Helbig

Posted 31/8/17
    Yeah I used the hop concentration factor so I guess we'll see how she goes

I did consider this but I just wasn't getting the IBUs high enough with 20mins. Couldn't detect any real harsh bitterness in the wort itself, but maybe after all is said and done it will appear in the finished brew. If it did turn out like shit just gives me another excuse to do another brew! Have heaps of little creatures 568ml bottles to be used :drinkingbeer:

mtb likes this.
  2. laxation

Posted 1/9/17
    I used galaxy at 60min for a couple of brews, and pretty much as soon as I finished the second brew I found out that I wasn't supposed to do that

but both the beers were still delicious, so don't worry too much about it (that was the best advice I got here when i was asking about hops and stuff!)

3. PurpleHaze

Posted 1/9/17
    I'll let you know in the next 4-5 days. Bottled it about a week and a half ago. its been in the fridge at 19-20c (controlled by an stc-1000)

4. Lachlan Helbig

Posted 2/9/17
    Right so in a few days I've got dry hopping coming up, planning on using 40g of galaxy. I only want it in there for 24-48 hours before cold crashing then bottling. How do you guys generally go about dry hopping? In the past I've tried chucking it in the fermenter with a hop sock and without, but planning to used a sanitized marble (to act as a weight) with a hop sock to get it on the bottom this time. Is there any discernible difference between these methods?

5. Fro-Daddy

Posted 2/9/17
    I made it as per the attached file because I was lazy and just wanted to use full containers of LME. Carbed it last night and tasted it today, better than I thought it would be.
    It's worth noting that this was my first boiled extract brew, so it might not be the best. Flavours seemed a little harsh in the hydrometer samples but it finished well.

Attached Files:

6. Judanero

Yeast maketh the beer.

Posted 2/9/17
    Just throw them in loose, they will drop out during the cold crash. The marble(s) in the hopsock trick will also work if you're set on a hopsock.

PurpleHaze and laxation like this.
  7. laxation

Posted 4/9/17
    When I was learning & reading about dry-hopping, opinions were very split about the best way to do it. Ultimately throwing it in is just SO much easier, so I do that a few days before cold-crashing.

I think the only reason you wouldn't do it, is if you were using a shit-ton of dry hops for an IPA or something like that; you don't lose as much beer because of the trub if you use a sock.

8. PurpleHaze

Posted 7/9/17
    So I tried one last night. 2 weeks after bottling it.
    It was a a little gassy as you can tell by the bubbles.

But it tasted amazing, smelled amazing and was very close to a Stone and Wood!

Attached Files:

Lachlan Helbig and laxation like this.
  9. Droopy Brew

Posted 7/9/17
    Well done mate, good to get an outcome you were chasing.
    If I can be picky and give some feedback for a sec- You certainly seem to have some carbonation there but it looks to have no head.
    If you are doing a hop boil and using extract cans can I suggest getting some swiss voile and steeping 250g of crushed carapils for 30 minutes before boiling and doing your hop additions.
    This will give your beer more body and head retention. It is also a great way to progress into making more customised beers once you get the hang of it by introducing other spec malts. S&W isnt a beer you need a lot of spec malts in as it is fairly basic malt profile but the carapils will definitely improve it.

laxation likes this.
  10. Lionman

Posted 14/9/17
    The bubbles on the glass are caused by you not cleaning your class properly :)

I think you will get better head if you up the wheat in your recipe too. Meant to be 40% wheat but with the wheat extract only being 40% itself, the total amount in the recipe is quite a bit less. You could also try adding dry wheat malt extract rather than normal DME too.

https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/brewing-adjuncts-and-beer-enhancers/dry-wheat-malt-extract-500g

Steeped grains will definitely help though!

PTG likes this.