Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet as thanks guys. pretty precious with my Galaxy as a can't find it anywhere... anyone know where i can buy some??
I wanted to use some Breiss liquid malt but it hasn't arrived yet. how much DME would i need instead?
so i will go with:
1.5kg coopers Wheat LME
DME
30g Galaxy @ 15mins
30g of Galaxy @5 mins
40g Galaxy Dry

Also when i calculate the IBU's it really varies as to the boil size. If i do a 15 litre boil they are double that of a boil size of 8 litres. how does the extra amount of liquid you boil the hops in change the IBU so much?

all done. just pitched the yeast. it took 3 hours to get it down to 18 degrees from a 15 litre boil using ice in the sink. Is that too long?

Im no expert... but i think you will definitely have chill haze. John Palmer says half an hour to get down below 25....

Matplat said:
Im no expert... but i think you will definitely have chill haze. John Palmer says half an hour to get down below 25....
thanks mate, do you know if it can be cleared up with 2 days CC in the fridge at 2 degrees before bottling?

slcmorro said:
Chill haze won't matter in this beer. It's meant to be drank with yeast in suspension anyways - cloudy.
He beat me to it! To answer your question though, i dont think cold crashing helps with chill haze. John palmer explains it better than me...

thanks for the advice guys. much appreciated.
well... so my first extract brew is a bust... i used Coopers Wheat Beer instead of Coopers Wheat Extract. Now it is has an IBU of 46! I must say how good is IanH's spreadsheet though!!!
the wort has a really bitter aftertaste. rookie mistake. any ideas of how i may be able to balance it out hop wise? its a bit late to try much else. its sitting at 19 degrees and the smell of those Galaxy hops is amazing. oh well i well probably still drink it.

Bummer dude... all is not lost. You could dissolve more malt extract and gently add it to the FV this will balance out the added IBU.

Use the spreadsheet to see what the BU:GU ratio should be if you had used extract instead of a kit. Then change the extract to a kit, then add extract as required to return the BU:GU ratio to where it was.

Matt

Matplat said:
Bummer dude... all is not lost. You could dissolve more malt extract and gently add it to the FV this will balance out the added IBU.

Use the spreadsheet to see what the BU:GU ratio should be if you had used extract instead of a kit. Then change the extract to a kit, then add extract as required to return the BU:GU ratio to where it was.

Matt
thanks for that Matt.
what actually is the BU:GU ratio? so it looks like if i add another 1.6kg of DME it will equal out the BU:GU ratio to what it should have been. Will this throw out anything else if i add it?
thanks again,
Richie

I have only learnt of it recently, it is the bittering units:gravity units ratio. I did some brews which seemed extremely bitter at only 35IBU so i couldnt imagine how an IPA could be bittered to 60+ IBU. But it's all about the balance with the amount of malt (indicated by the starting gravity).

What was the ratio before you changed the kit to extract? Add more malt to the recipe to try and achieve this ratio after you change it back to extract.

stompnground said:
all done. just pitched the yeast. it took 3 hours to get it down to 18 degrees from a 15 litre boil using ice in the sink. Is that too long?
stompnground said:
thanks for the advice guys. much appreciated.
well... so my first extract brew is a bust... i
the wort has a really bitter aftertaste. rookie mistake. any ideas of how i may be able to balance it out hop wise? its a bit late to try much else. its sitting at 19 degrees and the smell of those Galaxy hops is amazing. oh well i well probably still drink it.
The time it takes to chill a wort that has had late hop additions can have ahuge difference in the bitterness level of the beer.
Galaxy is a hop that needs to be treated carefully and used sparingly to avoid that harshness.

dicko said:
The time it takes to chill a wort that has had late hop additions can have ahuge difference in the bitterness level of the beer.
Galaxy is a hop that needs to be treated carefully and used sparingly to avoid that harshness.
thanks mate. they were only 30g at 15 mins and 30 @ 5 mins... oh well next time i will chill it down faster. thanks for the tip!

stompnground said:
the ratio should have been 0.68 but is 1.11
Thatshh gonna be bitter! How many IBU's in the recipe? I just checked my recipes that were a bit too bitter, and the were at 0.8, the English IPA that I'm planning is heading for 0.7...

I just saw what you said about having to add 1.6kg to get it back down.... that's quite alot, and will increase the ABV fairly significantly, the yeast quantity that you pitched may not be sufficient to get it done. You could add a bit more to take the edge off it, or just leave it and chalk it up to a lesson learned!

Cheers, Matt.

Matplat said:
Thatshh gonna be bitter! How many IBU's in the recipe? I just checked my recipes that were a bit too bitter, and the were at 0.8, the English IPA that I'm planning is heading for 0.7...

I just saw what you said about having to add 1.6kg to get it back down.... that's quite alot, and will increase the ABV fairly significantly, the yeast quantity that you pitched may not be sufficient to get it done. You could add a bit more to take the edge off it, or just leave it and chalk it up to a lesson learned!

Cheers, Matt.
thanks Matt... i added 500g to take the edge off. its going to be a punchy brew! oh well lesson learned ;)

Matplat said:

Cheers, Matt.
Hey Matt, should I add a bit more yeast into the FV to make sure it gets the job done? I have just done 2 more batches with no mistakes! lesson learned ;)

Nick JD said:
I've found the best way to use Galaxy without having a beer that needs to go sit in the naughty corner for 5 weeks, is to use a lot of galaxy late - eliminate the long boil additions, and for God's sake, if you feel you must dry hop with the stuff, do it for very short periods of time, like 24 hours and then get it the hell out or your beer will taste like a bowl of silage.

The recipe in the OP does exactly this. I wouldn't mess with it except to say that the dry hop IMO would be best popped in there at FG and left for 24 hours before bottling. Galaxy has a bad habit of giving passionfruit initially, and banana skins soon after.
Second the motion to keep dry hops short. 24 hours will extract the oils almost as well as a week will, but without so much grass. If you do dry hop, maybe try a moderate amount first.

Pacific is a brew I'm always happy to find, overjoyed if it's stuck in the middle of a row of macroswill taps, but to my tastes it seems less like an APA than a blonde ale that's a bit high in IBUs. I don't know what the official IBU rating is, but I'd swear it's higher than 21, which is where Victoria Bilge clocks in. I'd up the 20 minute hops.

A bit off topic as this thread is about a particular beer brand, but..... pity that John Palmer has (like many other beer writers) failed to keep up with latest practices. The chill haze thing is one example.

Since the advent of No-chill in cubes which has only been around for about five or six years as a popular method it's pretty obvious that Palmer's dire warnings about slow chilling don't really hold up.
Of course, depending on malts and adjuncts there's always the risk of chill haze in any brew, but no chill ain't one of them, in my experience.

redder.jpg

Latest posts

Back