Still bubbling after 16 days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi

This is still throwing out a few bubbles now and again..... I have not done gravity check...but I would assume not finished.

Cooper APA
1 kg Be2 + 100g dex.
Safale us-05

I was wondering if it can bubble for ages but actually be finished fermentation...

I put a hop tea bag in so I am little worried it might be in too long now.... (hops was already steeped so just left over - not as strong as

dry hop - done this before and worked quite well).

I am going to keg so wondering if I put in the fridge to stop would it be ok? If over carbed I could adjust..

The original smell from hops coming out the airlock was great - Amarillo

Some may suggest racking - but I have found that in my last 2 brews I have resisted opening the fermenter ie only co2 in the fermenter head

space... I think the beer has improved...I want to take it straight to keg if possible..

Thanks

Take a gravity reading. That will tell you what's happening. It may still be just a bit of CO2 trapped in the fermenter. The only reason it would keep fermenting after the yeast is finished that I can think of would be an infection. But, you'd know pretty quickly from a hydrometer reading (if it's really low). This is because bacterial or wild yeast can ferment out all the stuff that your brewers yeast doesn't, so you'd get a much lower gravity than normal (1.008-1.012 usually). Besides, if it smells and tastes good, you're probably ok. I'd point more towards just a bit of CO2 in the ferm. Just chill it if you think it's done, and keg it.

I am going to check in fridge - is 1008 - clear it up seems a bit cloudy...
Dont know if that is the US 05?

Smells good, tastes fine...

thanks

Cloudiness can be either yeast still in suspension or hop resins from the hop bags. Have you tried cold crashing? Drop it to 2-4 degrees if you can and it will help anything in suspension drop to the bottom. It doesn't help for hop resins though.

Sorry meant to say 'chuck in fridge'..... cold crashing now.....couple of days?
cheers

Are you fermenting in ambient temperature or under temp control?

I use to experience this before i had temp control & after 2 weeks or so in the FV i would often notice bubbles in the airlock. I always wondered though if it was just expansion of the wort or air inside the headspace as the temperature rises during the day? as i think it was more noticeable after cooler nights?

Now that i have TC, when i pull my fermenter out of my fridge to keg, the airlock will start bubbling again after a few minutes, but i'm sure fermentation has finished because my FG hasn't changed over 3 days.

Expansion due to rise in temperature is all i can put this down too? but i could be wrong….

Yes temp changes will cause pressure changes inside the fermenter which may cause the airlock to start bubbling... yet another reason why the things should be ignored and hydrometers the only trusted instrument for determining where fermentation is at.

I've only just had temp control for last 2 or 3 brews.After a week in fermenter with airlock,transfer to cube for another week without airlock attached & finding that pressure building in the cube-I loosen cap to drop pressure and retighten.Using American Ale yeast &15c-was very surprised by this reaction but check hydro reading before kegging and at target-no infections,undesirable flavours,etc.
Surprised me to start with that was still building pressure/giving off gas but it's all part of the learning curve.Rob.
Edit-have also noticed when I siphon transfer to 2nd FV or keg bubbles rising slowly,intermittently through brew.

I am using ambient - but very stable temp room...around 21 ..

Interesting that it had stopped fermenting (1008) but still bubbles... must have been pressure thing someone spoke of? Clearing up nicely

CO2 dissolves into solution while fermenting. So even when the ferment has finished up, there is still be residual carbonation.

Some lower carb'd beers (english bitter/pale, scotch ales) can be perfectly carb'd by primary fermentation alone.

Hence why calculators such as this one are very handy for getting your priming sugar amounts correct.

Thank you, The "2 drops" a 750 ml bottle is a load of rubbish.... all my pale ales seem to over carbed..... using 1 has been better...thanks

Trustyrusty said:
Thank you, The "2 drops" a 750 ml bottle is a load of rubbish.... all my pale ales seem to over carbed..... using 1 has been better...thanks
Just found that out with my last ale, a 150 Lashes clone using Coopers APA and 1 kg of light dry malt.
Half a glass of head after every pour.

Dunno what you cats are doing but I always used to put one carb drop into my stubbies (same rate as the two in a tallie), and never had over carbed beers or pouring half a glass of foam. Obviously it comes down to personal preference a bit but that rate shouldn't result in foamy gushers in any case.

Never had a problem with the thousands of bottles I did, 1 for Stubbies, 2 for long necks. Can only suggest fermentation not quite complete when bottled.
Cheers

I agree with grott bottled to soon fermentation not finished I was have the same problem so I leave my brews an extra week

half my bottles are 660ml's and I use 2 drops in them and they come out great carb wise

Latest posts

Back