step mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iecplumbing

Reaction score
hi all can someone help me with step mashing how does one work it out all is there a calculator

+1 for braukaiser as per Bribie. Depends a lot on how you're mashing, would be helpful to know that before offering any advice.

nuts said:
hi all can someone help me with step mashing how does one work it out all is there a calculator
Steps exist for all kinds of reasons.

Really depends on what your expected outcome is. Why do you want to step mash?

What beer?

In addition to the above process/equipment questions.

hi all anyone know how to calculated step mash for a amber ale all is there a calculator chat out there

You can load up a step mash profile in Beersmith and it'll do the hard work for you.

If you don't use Beersmith.. start today :)

Hi Nuts,
Check out the original thread you posted yesterday - there are some questions in there that will help us provide better answers.

I've merged the threads.

manticle said:
Steps exist for all kinds of reasons.

Really depends on what your expected outcome is. Why do you want to step mash?

What beer?

In addition to the above process/equipment questions.
its a amber ale and I have found step mashing gets more out of the grain I'm using speidels braumeister 20lt unit

Using modern malts and for a fairly standard brew, if using a step mash I would just go Hochkurz as in the link I posted.

40 minutes at around 63 degrees
40 minutes at around 72 degrees
10 minutes at mashout around 78 degrees

Then do the BM spargy thing.

Personally for an ale I'd just go 66 degrees single infusion mash, the 72 to 78 degrees bizzo is taken care of pretty much while ramping to mashout. However if you find that stepping with a couple of rests gets you better efficiency you can't really go past the good old hochkurz.

Latest posts

Back