Steeping Cara-pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazza

Reaction score
I've just used some cara-pils in an extract blonde (250g steeped for ~25 mins) and am a little surprised by the smell. Its sort of sour (?) smelling...is this normal?
I've only been using amber, crystal, choc, roast wheat in the past and this is very different to what I've smelled before.

Has anyone got any suggestions on this grain?

Thanks
Bazza

Bazza,

I've no idea where the sour smell is coming from, certainly shouldn't be the carapils. Did you have a taste of the grain first to check its freshness?

cheers Ross

Bazza,

I've no idea where the sour smell is coming from, certainly shouldn't be the carapils. Did you have a taste of the grain first to check its freshness?

cheers Ross

Ross,

I didn't taste it, but in its raw form it smelled similar in freshness to the grain I have already (which is all uncracked and stored airtight etc). Maybe sour wasn't the best choice of word....it just smelled quite different to a light crystal. Maybe very grainy is more accurate?

What kind of odour would you suggest is normal for cara-pils?

Cheers
Bazza

Ross,

I didn't taste it, but in its raw form it smelled similar in freshness to the grain I have already (which is all uncracked and stored airtight etc). Maybe sour wasn't the best choice of word....it just smelled quite different to a light crystal. Maybe very grainy is more accurate?

What kind of odour would you suggest is normal for cara-pils?

Cheers
Bazza

Grainy smell is normal, certainly not the sweet aroma of a crystal malt. Carapils should be basically the same colour as pilsner malt - ie very pale. Carapils just adds a bit of body & aids head retention, it doesn't add any sweetness.

cheers Ross

Grainy smell is normal, certainly not the sweet aroma of a crystal malt. Carapils should be basically the same colour as pilsner malt - ie very pale. Carapils just adds a bit of body & aids head retention, it doesn't add any sweetness.

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross,

from your description it is likely to be normal then.

Cheers,
Bazza

Latest posts

Back