STC-1000 questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It 'should' be bypassed by plugging the device into the controller, so the controllers becomes the important one.

ok Im a bit confussed... So I should intergrade the wiring of the STC-1000 into the original thermostat or I should remove the old dial and wire that to to stc-1000

thanks

Plug Keezer into STC, STC into wall socket.
STC turns Keezer on / off thus regulating the temp

Wire-up the STC as per the wiring diagram (Cooling-side only, as you don't need heating control). There are lots of different ways of achieving the same thing (I guess you've already read a few threads, so it's up to you how to achieve it).

Turn the "dial" on your freezer to full-on.

Plug the power cord of the freezer into the controlled outlet/plug/power cord/GPO that you've connected to the STC.

Set the compressor delay to 10 mins (so it doesn't cycle on/off too frequently & wreck your compressor).

Set the desired temperature.

Fill the keezer with beer & reward yourself for being so clever!

MartinOC said:
Wire-up the STC as per the wiring diagram (Cooling-side only, as you don't need heating control).
I use the heating side as well during winter. I have the heating plugged into a lamp with a terracotta pot as the lamp shade. This aids in keeping it at warmer temps in winter. The stc switches between cold and heat as required.

MartinOC said:
Wire-up the STC as per the wiring diagram (Cooling-side only, as you don't need heating control). There are lots of different ways of achieving the same thing (I guess you've already read a few threads, so it's up to you how to achieve it).

Turn the "dial" on your freezer to full-on.

Plug the power cord of the freezer into the controlled outlet/plug/power cord/GPO that you've connected to the STC.

Set the compressor delay to 10 mins (so it doesn't cycle on/off too frequently & wreck your compressor).

Set the desired temperature.

Fill the keezer with beer & reward yourself for being so clever!
Ok I get the concept Its just I have seen some where they have removed the old dial and used the stc-1000 instead

Like this http://www.jaseshouse.com/?p=668 is there any benifet ftom keeping the old one only reason I ask is the thermostat looks beat up lol and then I wouldnt need to worry so much about moister getting into the wiring if placed in the collar

If mounting it in the collar Im guessing that you need to ensure that its placed in a jiffy box or similar to ensure no moister gets to it

I don't see any advantage in removing the dial for the thermostat. Just leave everything as is and it's a lot less stuffing around.

If mounting in the collar? Not sure if I follow that, but I've got it in a jiffy box anyway just because I didn't want any easily accessibly live wiring. That's sitting on the fridge and the temp controller is running into the fridge and attached to the outside of the fermentor with a bungee strap and an old stubby cooler as insulation.

I wired myne up by removing the thermostat and replacing it with the stc-1000, the advantage is that the lid light will still work and if you have a fast freeze option it will still work.

If you want to do it that way hopefully this helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tf3ZV_k7o4

As far as mounting it in the collar yes a box would be best, if you look on the kegerator thread there is a vid of my stc mounted in the collar

If you leave the freezer thermostat in and somehow the STC fails closed you could potentially freeze what ever is in there. But.. If you hard wire it in and the stc shorts closed you are in the same situation so no real benefit in my opinion.

Also while we are talking about STCs has anyone used one of these ?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-2M-NTC-10k-Thermistor-Temperature-Sensor-Probe-Cable-for-TEMP-Controller-/141128161186?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item20dbe4d7a2

It seems to be made for them ? I want to use one in my BIAB rig..... I have ordered one so when it turns up (probably a couple of months away) i will let you know how it goes if no one has tried one.

Bax said:
I don't see any advantage in removing the dial for the thermostat. Just leave everything as is and it's a lot less stuffing around.

If mounting in the collar? Not sure if I follow that, but I've got it in a jiffy box anyway just because I didn't want any easily accessibly live wiring. That's sitting on the fridge and the temp controller is running into the fridge and attached to the outside of the fermentor with a bungee strap and an old stubby cooler as insulation.
I mean if people are mounting the stc-1000 in the wooden collar so you can see the led temp control from the front, Then I would think I would need some sort of enclosure for the wires as they will be sitting in the chest its self...but if I where to mount it where the thermostat sits then it would be enclosed where the compressor is

Here is the pic of the freezer I got https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf61a3vox1op39j/IMAG0032.jpg

JoeyJoeJoe said:
If you leave the freezer thermostat in and somehow the STC fails closed you could potentially freeze what ever is in there. But.. If you hard wire it in and the stc shorts closed you are in the same situation so no real benefit in my opinion.

Also while we are talking about STCs has anyone used one of these ?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-2M-NTC-10k-Thermistor-Temperature-Sensor-Probe-Cable-for-TEMP-Controller-/141128161186?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item20dbe4d7a2

It seems to be made for them ? I want to use one in my BIAB rig..... I have ordered one so when it turns up (probably a couple of months away) i will let you know how it goes if no one has tried one.
I was looking at using one for my HLT, but the probe is quite short and I'm thinking would be affected by the lower temp of the HLT wall itself
Now looking at one of these, I'll remove the 20K ntc sensor and put a 10K one in
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-10-pcs-lot-RT20-NTC-temperature-probe-sensors-TS055/760671229.html

sp0rk said:
I was looking at using one for my HLT, but the probe is quite short and I'm thinking would be affected by the lower temp of the HLT wall itself
Now looking at one of these, I'll remove the 20K ntc sensor and put a 10K one in
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-10-pcs-lot-RT20-NTC-temperature-probe-sensors-TS055/760671229.html
I was going to go up from the bottom of my pot because the bottom is flat so it would be easier to mount without getting leaks? Should I stick in the middle ?

Note that there can be a significant difference in temperature between the bottom liquid and top liquid in kettles and HLTs - just something to take into account wherever you mount the probe.

Also consider what is the minimum amount of liquid you will ever want in the HLT while heating is to be controlled by the STC - you need the probe to be below the liquid level.

mattyg8 said:
Like this http://www.jaseshouse.com/?p=668 is there any benifet ftom keeping the old one only reason I ask is the thermostat looks beat up lol and then I wouldnt need to worry so much about moister getting into the wiring if placed in the collar
Thats my keezer - it just seemed a lot neater to me to remove any obsolete and unecessary wiring or components and replace it with the STC. It hasnt missed a beat since I set it up. I have the probe sitting in a small sealed container of water inside the keezer to buffer against temp fluctuations.

sp0rk said:
I also use one in my HLT - I use a thermowell inserted towards the bottom of the pot and insert the STC probe into this. The actual probe sensor is located pretty close to the center of the pot this way. But no matter what you use you will need to recirculate or stir the water inside the pot to get an accurate reading otherwise the temps will vary at different heights in the pot. I dont have a good photo of just the thermowell, but you may be able to see it here - its screwed into a T piece which is shared with the sight gauge:

IMG_0642_v1.JPG

Frothie said:
Thats my keezer - it just seemed a lot neater to me to remove any obsolete and unecessary wiring or components and replace it with the STC. It hasnt missed a beat since I set it up. I have the probe sitting in a small sealed container of water inside the keezer to buffer against temp fluctuations.
Yeh I was thinking the same as it looks neater and wouldn't involve having to enclose the stc-1000 as much...So the way it works is you set it to desired temp it will cool to it then shut off until the temp rises then start back up after a few mins?

Yep, the STC has compressor delay(I think I set it to the longest delay, 10min? Cant remember), so it wont switch the compressor back on twice within a 10min window, the sensor sitting in water also helps to slow down the cycles of on-off. I think I have the temp margin for switching set to 1 degree - so if its set for 7C It wont turn on until it gets to 8C then will run until it gets back to 7C? I only have the cooling circuit wired up. It takes a fair while for the temp to rise enough to switch the compressor on, then it will run for a few minutes to get back down.

I used to get a bit condensation inside mine, so I put one of those room moisture absorbing things in it which I got from Aldi and now its been nice and dry inside ever since.

Frothie, have you got a build log of your rig? I want to graduate from BIAB and your setup looks like something I could achieve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wish I could hook my STC up :( .. I soo need help with this.. not electrically minded… Any one around cheltenham want to help out???

Latest posts

Back