STC-1000 Not Turning on Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanetoad23

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had an old fridge that I decided to use and bought a STC-1000. My father in law is an electrician (very handy) and he rigged it up for me. It all works, however the fridge is not turning on or off when it rises above the set temperature.

I have checked through the instructions and believe that everything is set correctly, has anyone had any similar problems?

Cheers

Mark

Check the thermostat as Pete has suggested.
If that doesn't do the trick, post a photo that clearly shows the wiring. Some sparkies have been known to wire these things up incorrectly, especially house bashes ( house bashes are domestic only electricians).
Also, the fridge does work?

As TidalPete said, you need the fridge thermostat to be set colder than what you need, so turn it to the coldest setting.

Also have you tried plugging a light or something else into the stc to see if that comes on?

Get your FIL to have another look. Sparkies are notorious for getting STCs wrong.

Can you hear the relay click, and does the "cooling" light come on?

Yeah - test it on a lamp - like your sparkie did (?). Set it at about 5 degrees above your room temp, and then hold the probe to get it up to 30C to turn on/off the lamp.

Thanks for the advice, will get him to have another look.

I plugged it into the radio and although I can hear it 'click' when it isn't to the correct temperature nothing turns on.

Will get the FIL to check it again, although I have a brew afternoon planned (which is another post)!

There is a wiring diagram floating around where the heat and cool are reversed. Try plugging it in the other outlet. I'm guessing this will not be the issue as being an electrician I think he would have studied the diagram on the device, but you never know.

That wiring is wrong. Terminals 7 and 8 are a switching relay, not an output.

Take the neutral from 8 and shove it in 2 with the other blue wire.
Then jump the active from 1 to 8 to provide the feed.

Check this with your electrician.

Another sparkie fucks it up! That's the 3rd so far I think.

Nick JD said:
Another sparkie fucks it up! That's the 3rd so far I think.
How a properly trained sparky can get a simple circuit like an STC1000 wrong amazes me.
It always seems to be the same mistake where they think the STC1000 has an output, not two switched relays.

spudfarmerboy said:
How a properly trained sparky can get a simple circuit like an STC1000 wrong amazes me.
Because there is more than three colours and three holes.

bradsbrew said:
Because there is more than three colours and three holes.
Maybe Brad.
I can only put it down to lack of knowledge or inattention to detail.
If one of the sparkies working for me couldn't wire up an STC1000, I would be looking at their future employment with my company.

chewy said:
must be tafe qualified...
I agree.
TidalPete said:
:lol:

Sorry Brad!
We are government funded private RTO Pete, definitely would not affiliate myself with TAFE, we measure quality outcomes not numbers. ;) Plus we don't train sparkies, otherwise I would have a mighty fine electric brewery. :ph34r:

spudfarmerboy said:
Maybe Brad.
I can only put it down to lack of knowledge or inattention to detail.
If one of the sparkies working for me couldn't wire up an STC1000, I would be looking at their future employment with my company.
Wouldn't they test it with meters first?

Like a lot of technical professions, assumption often catches out the best of them.

Sparkies assume that because it's got 240V in, then it must have 240V out. The 240 in, is there only to power the unit.

Had they been asked to wire a 12V version they would have got it right.

Back