STC-1000 Not Turning on Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats unfortunate Manticle, I run 5 of them, 1 for the HEX, 1 for the HLT both calibrated to the mashmaster thermowell in the MT and 1 on each of 3 fridges. Ive only ever had trouble with one unit that couldnt make up it's mind what the temperature was (I suspected the probe rather than the unit) and the dealer replaced it after some not so gentle nudging...

I think 2 of them Ive had to calibrate a few degrees and I do tend to check them every couple of months but have personally found them to be reliable units.

I might try replacing the probe before buying a new unit.
Might get the person who wired it ti take a look too though I'm pretty sure it isn't that. Cooling still works and heating was working too.

To test if it's the probe, remove the probe and chuck a 10Kohm resistor across the probe terminals. If you get 25c all is good

Ive probably got a sparie somewhere too if you need (Ive got a whole spare unit just in case).. could post it to you pretty easily...

Will plug it in and make sure it's OK before I do though.

manticle said:
Set to 16.5, glass stick reads 30, stc is unreliable. Took my porter out, would rather take my chance on the garage floor

Had it a few months, so tempted to go back to water baths and ice bricks. Just not ******* trustworthy.
F4 is set to 0.00

Will be buying a fridgemate or somesuch so I can have some recourse to taking it back if it doesn't do what it is meant to.
Surprised you are having issues. I've got two of them wired up & both perfect.
You could always bid on this though if you want.......... :beerbang:
Failing that, the probes that Ross sells here are compatible with the STC.

Kev: might try and get to Jaycar this week.

Yob: cheers for the offer but I recently bought 3 temp units from RobS so I have plenty of spares. Two are stc-1000.. They are wired up but only to control heating OR cooling. Vitalstatistix wired my current one up so we will either just swap out one of the probes or transfer the unit to the sexy looking box the current one is in when we brew this weekend. I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel - just was a bit shitty that my porter might have been at 30 degree plus. Never had to worry about this shit when I was a water bath brewer - hence my minor cursing of the units earlier.

@Crusty - cheers. Should hopefully be able to sort it with what I have.

QldKev said:
Hit up evilbay for "ntc 10k"
7 amp.... would be borderline for a fridge wouldn't it........????

Could use a relay to be sure...!!!

cheers

Back