STC-1000 Not Turning on Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bradsbrew said:
I agree.
We are government funded private RTO Pete, definitely would not affiliate myself with TAFE, we measure quality outcomes not numbers. ;) Plus we don't train sparkies, otherwise I would have a mighty fine electric brewery. :ph34r:
Looks like my Total Recall is anything but Brad. :D See you at Winkle's I hope?

If the STC is as easy to wire as a FridgeMate why not do it yourself? I'm not the world's worst mechanic / carpenter / electrician but nearly. I have 2 fridgemates I wired myself and they run great.

Off topic: Mind it's probably due to growing up in the UK where historically you had to buy and wire a plug for every electrical item you ever bought. Any kid would know how to wire a plug by the time he or she was 11.

Hey Mick, wire up my new electric fire will you, pet, Sure Auntie.
To me the Fridgemate was just a more complex thing but not any more difficult than a plug.

pom plug.jpg

I don't think they have more house fires or deaths per capita over there. :p

That's going to be one awkward family moment. Telling the FIL he isn't very good at his trade and the guys on the beer forum showed me how to tell you to do it.

I have an STC running a 400W ceramic panel heater with it set on 24.5C

Nick JD said:
Like a lot of technical professions, assumption often catches out the best of them.

Sparkies assume that because it's got 240V in, then it must have 240V out. The 240 in, is there only to power the unit.

Had they been asked to wire a 12V version they would have got it right.
I got a sparky in to wire up a float switch to my HLT via my MashMate about 20 months ago & he was bamboozled even knowing it was 12v. Left without charging me for his time.
Eventually Screwy & Gav80 came to the rescue & sorted it. :beerbang:

Couldn't be easier to understand than this one.
I wired mine up using this diagram & it's working perfectly.

STC 1000 Wiring.png

Its seriously scary to think that there are other sparkies out there who can't figure this out fark me. :blink:

House sparkies have a different skill set, their trade is to know the SAA wiring rules and to do it quickly. Knowing control process wiring is completely different to knowing how far away from a sink you can mount a GPO. I'm a Sparkie by trade but I work on relaying systems for power transmission, I could wire up a house but it would take me a lot longer to do than a house sparkie, I would have to look up the wiring rules for everything (I haven't looked at the wiring rules for about 5 years). If you got a house sparkie to try and read the schematics that I have to read or do the vector calculations, they would be completely lost.
So go easy on the house sparkies.

cheers steve

Why did we learn about squirrel cage 3 phase motors and vector diagrams at tafe?

We needed to learn how to wire an stc1000!!!!

PeteQ said:
Why did we learn about squirrel cage 3 phase motors and vector diagrams at tafe?
Because it was fun :p
google "sequence components" if you want to see what I deal with on a daily basis

matho said:
Because it was fun :p
google "sequence components" if you want to see what I deal with on a daily basis
Yep, I was that loser who topped all 3 years.

I am just a petty estimator, $100k to $10m projects are what I deal with day to day. The small amount of googling I've done on sequence components looks AWESOME! Better than the max demand calcs I have to do every now and then.

Sorry OP, back on track....

Don't want to start a new thread.

Can someone link me to one of the many threads on STC-1000 probes ******* out and the solution?

My fridge is at 24 (measured with glass stick) but my stc is reading 15 and has been for some time, despite being set to 20. I've searched stc probe and a couple of other terms but can't find what I know exists.

matho said:
House sparkies have a different skill set, their trade is to know the SAA wiring rules and to do it quickly. Knowing control process wiring is completely different to knowing how far away from a sink you can mount a GPO. I'm a Sparkie by trade but I work on relaying systems for power transmission, I could wire up a house but it would take me a lot longer to do than a house sparkie, I would have to look up the wiring rules for everything (I haven't looked at the wiring rules for about 5 years). If you got a house sparkie to try and read the schematics that I have to read or do the vector calculations, they would be completely lost.
So go easy on the house sparkies.

cheers steve
But if you did wire up a house, I would assume you might do a quick test on some or probably all of the GPOs to see if they actually worked. And if they didn't I think you would be able to work out why. Yes?

So why defend a house sparky or anyone else for that matter that doesn't check their work?

manticle said:
Don't want to start a new thread.

Can someone link me to one of the many threads on STC-1000 probes ******* out and the solution?

My fridge is at 24 (measured with glass stick) but my stc is reading 15 and has been for some time, despite being set to 20. I've searched stc probe and a couple of other terms but can't find what I know exists.

Anyone?

Have you messed around with the F4 settings - the calibration stuff?

I checked that setting yesterday and it seemed right. Will have another look today as it is about 10 degrees out and that calibration is 0-10 isn't it? Should be set at 0 (default)

Actually just went out to have a look - she's now reading 20 and the stick thermometer is reading 19.5. For the last two days the reading has been between 12 and 14.5 despite being set as high as 22. Heat belt was on, fridge was warm and as mentioned - measured at 24. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it was just one of those annoying temporary glitches. I bought a couple of STCs from RobS a month or so ago and was looking at replacing this one. Maybe she thought she'd better pull her socks up.

Thanks for the second post.

Set to 16.5, glass stick reads 30, stc is unreliable. Took my porter out, would rather take my chance on the garage floor

Had it a few months, so tempted to go back to water baths and ice bricks. Just not ******* trustworthy.
F4 is set to 0.00

Will be buying a fridgemate or somesuch so I can have some recourse to taking it back if it doesn't do what it is meant to.

Back