Starting an Electric Brew control panel for AG brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good ... I want my bits and pieces to arrive :(

The rewiring was as simple as pulling off the thermostat inside the fridge and by passing it. The controller has compressor protection as well.
How much heat will the fermentation put off? My controller is only cool or heat so I cant put a heat mat in the fridge unless I replace it.

For me it has only been plus 1 or 2 degrees for 30l-ish fermenting... I'm using a small electric blanket controlled the same way as the ATM... It keeps up more than fine inside the fridge :)

sjp770 said:
The rewiring was as simple as pulling off the thermostat inside the fridge and by passing it. The controller has compressor protection as well.
How much heat will the fermentation put off? My controller is only cool or heat so I cant put a heat mat in the fridge unless I replace it.
You're in 'berra? Unless you're planning lagers, you're going to need the cool as much as me in Melb's.

At the moment I've got a 60W desk lamp sitting on the bottom of my fridge. Not ideal, as it puts out a bit too much heat and initially overshoots, but after which is fine. Will be looking to repurpose my old 40W lava lamp or actually get something appropriate like those reptile heat pads, or a low watt ceramic heater.

I wish my fridge was that simple, effing thermostat has about 6 wires coming out of the damn thing, and I can't be bothered finding out which does what (yet). Although a few more times of taking 2-3 days to get to 1-2degC will probably be enough to get me interested again.

Nah, not in Canberra. I'm a couple of hours west.

More updates:
Ready to paint
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405233132.572328.jpg

1st coat
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405233203.575791.jpg

Assembled:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405233227.787973.jpg

Missing 2x green lights and 1x 3-way switch. Pretty sure I bought it first so I'll wait until this week is over then I'll order it again.

I'm tempted to make the power light green and make both pump lights blue. Only problem is the amp / volt meters are blue.

Paint job was average.. I should have heated up the metal and paint first. it would have been sub 10c at that time even with the sun on it :(

Also the color of charcoal was not quite dark enough.

The fridge has been holding a temp of 10c empty with the controler set to turn on at 15c. With the fridge always on I found it got to -11c before I stopped it.

I'm seriously considering a FullPint conical fermenter but can't decide between the 23L and the 64L.

If most of my batches will be 20-30L will the headspace be too much? And if I do a back to back brew can I just top up the same fermenter?

mofox1 said:
Same here. They also do the crimp terminals sjp is after -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131040780107

1310407801074040_2.jpg

I needed some ring terminals for ground lugs... SJP - if you haven't got all the bits for those I picked up a bunch of star/spring/flat washers and bolts etc from http://stores.ebay.com.au/stainlesshop/
!B9QrtIw!mk~$(KGrHqYOKooEy+jC0Nw2BM5StyiBIw~~_14.JPG

Mick
I ended up getting some connectors via this guy on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25-BLUE-RING-TERMINALS-6MM-BOLT-HOLE-4-0-MM-CABLE-HANDY-PACKS-/300908348631?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item460f8904d7&_uhb=1

Local down here in Melbourne, had pretty sharp pricing and I had them in a day or so.

Also the cheapest crimp tool I could find for them was actually from supercheap auto for $20; should have bought one years ago instead of half wrecking the connectors with a pair of pliers!

Cheers

Barry

Received the CO2 reg today. Had to cancel the therminator for now. Still waiting on the CO2 bottle to arrive.

Aliexpress doesn't really live up to its name as all the relays are still in China :(

My relays just arrived and after one look I realised I bought the wrong ones!! Checked your first few posts with the link to aliexpress for the correct ones, now to wait another 30 days (maybe longer from your most recent post!) for them to arrive ... so frustrating!

I hope it wasn't from a link on my thread that you got the wrong ones!

Just a note on that, I will do a full Bill of Materials once I have the panel functional with notes as to why I changed a part or which part is different.

I also have another hole punch on the way for the elements, which arrived the other day.

Not from one of your links ... I used your link to by the proper relay! I grabbed some on ebay but didnt read the description properly and only bought 5A relays!!

They are amongst the last things I need for my CP ... all my plumbing is (mostly) sorted, still tackling my element housing but its getting there.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Cheers

sjp770 said:
Paint job was average.. I should have heated up the metal and paint first. it would have been sub 10c at that time even with the sun on it :(

Also the color of charcoal was not quite dark enough.
What paint did you use?

White knight Rust Guard Topcoat Hammered Finish in Charcoal.

It will probably look great once the whole box is done. I think it was the sub 10c temps that screwed with it.

Got the green lights today. I ordered those a week or more after the relays.... ? Poor show aliexpress. If anyone can find a better provider for relays that's still cheap chime in.

1406014681587.jpg

Got my 32mm (?) Ruko hole punch today. It looks real aggressive which should be perfect for the stainless.

I'm going to change the layout of the bottom lights and switches. I think key and two switches and the peizo on the bottom row, lights above.

sjp770 said:
I hope it wasn't from a link on my thread that you got the wrong ones!

Just a note on that, I will do a full Bill of Materials once I have the panel functional with notes as to why I changed a part or which part is different.

I also have another hole punch on the way for the elements, which arrived the other day.
Looks like there's plenty of electric panels being built lately!
With the relays that you have used, are they a 12v coil as it says on the cover? Do you know if they're available in other voltages?

All the photos are of the one relay, no matter what the rating. I'll post pics when and if they show.

Meanwhile in progress ville, I received the 220v ac -> 24v ac power packs and have mounted them with M4 stainless screws tapped into the back panel. I'm about to mount the AC/DC in to DC 5v adjustable drivers onto the board. O e was damaged in transit and is being replaced. I repaired the broken one but I wouldn't use it in the system.

1406188980827.jpg

Panel meter supply stage mounted. Loving the kingchrome auto cable stripper BTW

1406190736157.jpg

The plan is to get everything mounted then spray the back panel a bright orange.

Latest posts

Back