Starting an Electric Brew control panel for AG brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a hydrometer off ebay just then as well as the following from iBrew:

Product SKU Price Quantity Total
Blichmann Therminator accesssory kit $65.00 1 $65.00
Blichmann Therminator Wort Chiller $280.00 1 $280.00
Blichmann Brewery Gloves (3 sizes) - Large (size 9) $19.50 1 $19.50
Faucet sample with ball lock disconnect $17.95 1 $17.95
Subtotal: $382.45 Shipping (Fastway 5kg sachet (all areas within Australia)): $12.50 Tax (GST 10.0%): $34.77 Total: $394.95

Still need to sort out the sockets on the base of the control box and the power cables. I have a Kinchrome automatic cable stripper on the way that CAN crimp the spade terminals on but its not a rotary crimper... I still need to get the spade (fork) un crimped terminals, any suggestions on where to grab a bunch cheap?

Also need to chase up black self adhesive cable tie mounts. If anyone has a link hit me up.

sjp770 said:
Enclosure is on its way from an electrical wholesaler.

NHP NLS0404021 $121.50+GST
Just starting out on my build too ... I'm in Melbourne and picked my control box up (400x400x210) from a guy around the corner from our warehouse for $35. Bargain!

Cut all my holes and painted it up - waiting for more bits and bobs to arrive. Will be watching your progress, cheers!

CP-progress.jpg

lucky bugger! $35 :eek:

I have ordered a hole punch from RS for $35 just to see how it goes.

Anyone found a good place for these?
efilliate-P1387a.jpg

Crouch said:
Just starting out on my build too ... I'm in Melbourne and picked my control box up (400x400x210) from a guy around the corner from our warehouse for $35. Bargain!

Cut all my holes and painted it up - waiting for more bits and bobs to arrive. Will be watching your progress, cheers!

CP-progress.jpg
Do you think you can get another? Pretty damn interested if you can!

BTW, how do you cut nice square holes in the panel?

cheers, just grabbed a pack of 25mm black. Whats the hole next to your left most PID?

sjp770 said:
cheers, just grabbed a pack of 25mm black. Whats the hole next to your left most PID?
That's my power switch, directly above it is the power indicator light

mofox1 said:

A square punch for $1200 or an angle grinder / dremel / jigsaw

mofox1 said:

Can easily get another one ... you here in Melbourne?

I drilled holes in each of the corners and used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade to cut the rough shape, then filed it to size

So my main thing I haven't gotten yet is connectors (sockets under the panel) and cable for the elements. Does someone have 8-10m of the stuff and maybe the glands to breakout of the box the element mounts to?

Crouch said:

I drilled holes in each of the corners and used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade to cut the rough shape, then filed it to size
Jeez! A fortnight too late! I searched high and low on the net and the best I could find was a smaller enclosure (300x200) for $70. $30 is an amazing price!

Baz

Crouch said:

Sure am, will pm.

sjp770 said:
So my main thing I haven't gotten yet is connectors (sockets under the panel) and cable for the elements. Does someone have 8-10m of the stuff and maybe the glands to breakout of the box the element mounts to?
I found the cable that the electric brewery build used on Amazon by the metre (and ships to Oz)... I don't think I bookmarked it, so you'll need to search. Use the brand name as one of the key words.

Just managed to get the cable from an irrigation supplier for $10/m

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405075718.050648.jpg

Few bits arrived while I was away. Didn't pay attention to the size of the green lights and ended up with 2x 16mm :(

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405076516.979081.jpg.

Also got grain yeast and some citra hops for a little creature pale ale clone. I don't get to brew shops often so I grabbed it while I could. The hops smell amazing!

Shout out to the Shop Brew Your Own at Kambah in Canberra, Colin was extremely helpful and friendly.

Re wired the fridge to be always on and then hooked up my temp controller to control the mains power to it.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405158141.653415.jpg

Also started on cutting the panel!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405158170.093695.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405158196.453136.jpg

Just imagine those lights are green :)

sjp770 said:
Re wired the fridge to be always on and then hooked up my temp controller to control the mains power to it.
Thinking I need to do the same with my fridge. Takes too effing long for it to CC with the fridge cutting in and out. On the plus side, before I go rewiring it's still frost free.

Latest posts

Back