Stalled at 1016?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micko71

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm doing a Beer makers draft OG was 48 it's now been at 16 for four days (9 days total brewing) and I've already put finings in what should I do ? please help !

Which yeast did you use? Did you steep any grains? Did you use a "brew booster" type mix ?

what was the fermenting temperature?

depending on the beer style 1.016 might be a fine FG I've finished some full-bodied oatmeal stout's @ 1.020

you could ramp up the temp to try and reactivate the yeast. Sometimes agitating the fermenter can get it going again too.

I used a dextrose and the stock yeast. It's been about 18-24 here the last week or so. Hope it's not another 3 % er :(

Oh yea no hops etc. will it stir up after finings ?

Temp sounds like it wouldn't be an issue. Give it a good swirl without splashing to rouse the yeast. Don't add finings until you are satisfied that you have reached FG, it will only add to the issue by helping to drop yeast out of suspension.

One way to be sure is a forced ferment test.

Finings r already in. 2 days ago. Stil try it or add half a pack of yeast. ?

Why would you add finings if it hadn't finished?

You say 'another' low alc beer, what was the issue with the last one?

I'm new to this I gave it five days or so it's stopped bubbling I added finings I was told to do it after three days anyway judging by the hydrometer my last brew was 3.8% and it was a muntons pils with US 05 yeast it went to 1012. Am I missing something here ?

I have had beers finishing at 1.016 regularly whith extract brews. So am not surprised. Maybe go harder with the dex or extract to get higher OG. Then you can cut your losses when inevitably having higher than expected final gravity..

Micko71 said:
<snip> Am I missing something here ?
Yes, numerous full stops and capital letters.

Hard to read grammar aside, can you clarify what you were told? If the hydrometer reading was stable over three days - and sensible - and everything was normal / good practice (like the temp. didn't suddenly drop and put the yeast to sleep - it sounds like this didn't happen), then it would be OK to fine. If you fined three days after pitching that's probably not a good thing.

Haha! Was wondering if grammar mattered here. Being a forum on, well, BOOZE, some of us, at some times, have had a few, so I sort of thought it was just accepted to self punctuate. I use Siri (ie: talk to my phone and it spells it out), it's hopeless at punctuation. But when you're 'on the fly ', it's just too easy.

Ok. Grammar issue (hopefully) explained. My lhbs told me the 'new' way was to fine after 3 days as it helps the yeast to.... whatever , wasn't listening by this stage. Over the salesman spiel and didn't agree from the start. So I did it anyway for a test. And here we are.

No cold spikes. No hot spikes.

Question is:

Swirl and wait, or

Add a little new yeast.

I have some leftover muntons & coopers yeast packets asI used us 05 here and there. [emoji2]

Cheers. Micko.

Micko71 said:
Haha! Was wondering if grammar mattered here. Being a forum on, well, BOOZE, some of us, at some times, have had a few, so I sort of thought it was just accepted to self punctuate. I use Siri (ie: talk to my phone and it spells it out), it's hopeless at punctuation. But when you're 'on the fly ', it's just too easy.

Ok. Grammar issue (hopefully) explained. My lhbs told me the 'new' way was to fine after 3 days as it helps the yeast to.... whatever , wasn't listening by this stage. Over the salesman spiel and didn't agree from the start. So I did it anyway for a test. And here we are.

No cold spikes. No hot spikes.

Question is:

Swirl and wait, or

Add a little new yeast.

I have some leftover muntons & coopers yeast packets asI used us 05 here and there. [emoji2]

Cheers. Micko.
Firstly that's amazing that you get siri to understand that much!! i reckon that's a big win to start haha

So in my opinion and i am sure people have different ones, i would always give the yeast 7 days to do it's thing, depending on the temp, the fermentation can be done within 4 days, but i like to give it a few extra days to (with lack of a better description) clean itself up.

Def take gravity readings and when it is the same over two - three days ( i usually am happy with 2days) then you know that the yeast is finished doing it's thing. That is when i add the finnings. I usually do this in another fermenter tho, i "rack" (transfer) the beer to a second fermentor with the finnings mixture and then leave it for another 4-5 days. this is also when i dry hop.

When you add the finnings, it can help to add about 3 tbs of dextrose, dissolved in boiling water and then cooled, to the mix as well, this will help give a layer of co2 to sit on the beer and not expose it to oxygen while you wait for it to clear.

hopefully i havn't just rambled on sorry ( i feel like i have hehe)

I wouldn't add any more yeast as opening it exposes it to air and possibly infection, maybe just give it a swirl.

by the way, my grammer is terrible too, but who gives a shit, my beer tastes good to me and that's all i care about!

As far as i'm concerned we are all here to learn off each other, welcome to the world of home brew and the many many mistakes we all make when trying to learn the craft! ( yes i have had a few beers too)

Jimmy ur grammar is better than most I've seen but I agree. The beer is the point here 'AY. Lol. Have a great Easter mate.

Oops sorry. And thanks for the info. That's all def on my to do list now. Cheers. Micko.

Micko71 said:
Haha! Was wondering if grammar mattered here.
Only to grammar nazis.

As to what to do. You could try pitching again but not unheard of for US-05 to finish there so may not work. Either take it as it is or if you really want something higher adding 1kg of DME (boli first) and pitching fresh yeast would likely add about 1.5% ABV. Not sure what that does to the balance of your recipe but will bring the strength up.

And perhaps find a new LHBS. A rough guide from what I have learned so far would see you leaving it in the fermenter for around 5 days after reaching FG to let the yeast clean up after itself before adding finings and / or cold crashing it for 2 - 3 days. In general it seems the longer you can leave it in the fermenter, within reason, the better it is for the beer.

Others here with plenty more experience than me though who may have other options for you to consider.

Thanks KB. So glad u guys are here to consult. This AHB is very cool.

I should explain my point about grammar. I'm not that fussed about it until it gets to the stage where things are ambiuous. The statements were ambiguous, so I brought it up, and that's also why I asked for clarification. But having to make extra posts just trying to decipher the previous ones doesn't seem like an efficient way to give or receive information.

Latest posts

Back