Stainless threads galling.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Loctite is thixotropic, so smooth it into the thread gently, I use a matchstick and gently puddle it into the male thread, try to get it down into the thread root, clean up any excess immediately (a bit of white spirit is good).
LC
Ok I can see that working, but it would be a very slow, painstaking operation, 50%+ solder flows like cold tar, be interesting to see if one of the tin/silver soft solders worked, I'm dated enough to have worked on screwing gauge copper installations (restoring old houses) they were tinned before screwing, often soldered to, but 100 odd years later you can still undo them, which I cant see happening with modern copper/brass - let alone Stainless fittings, especially the random alloy that come from some countries. Anyone wants to try silvering a thread, get a good thread file first.
Mark

Harris 56 flows like water if you use the right flux (Stay-Silv White). I can flow it into a 0.1mm gap that's 25mm deep and get complete penetration.

Most tin based solder formulations won't wet stainless. Harris make a 6% (Stay Brite 8) that does but I haven't used it so I can't comment. When I need to make an electrical connection to stainless I flow 56 onto the SS part and then solder to that using a standard electrical solder.

Last edited:
Hey @husky, @Pnutapper, how long do you normally leave the Loxeal before using? Manufacturer's recommendation is a week for stainless fittings, but given the sealant is rated for higher temps and pressures than I'll be running I suspect that that might be a bit conservative. I re-did the hotside 3/4" BSP fittings on my pump and also the mains water 1/2" fittings on my counterflow chiller on Friday and hoping to be brewing with them tomorrow (five days). Cheers,

Last edited:
I left mine overnight then used them all good but most of mine are BSPT. If using BSPP then I would say you need the full curing time. I had one connection that was BSPP and was no good after only 1 day curing so I had to thread tape it.

Like husky, most of the threads I use the Loxeal on are tapered threads. I have used the connection off a gas reg within 5 - 6 hrs (1/4"BSP).

All care, no responsibility... I would chance it if it was me.

Back