Stainless threads galling.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what we use:

IMG_0161.JPG

For those playing along at home...

Step 1: Cut nipple & fuse thread.

Step 2: Cut socket to size.

Step 3: Wait for the expert to show up to weld socket in place.

Fused thread.jpg

Does that stuff act as a thread sealant as well? I've been having trouble with some 1/2" BSPT hex nipples in elbows and ball valves leaking profusely at mains water pressure - I've used the standard two wraps of pink teflon tape then upped that to four but no good.

That BSM union in your pic is where we would more commonly be using this anti sieze as its product contact and if they sieze its a bitch. You don't generally see any threaded fittings in food applications, is that a beer line?

Does that stuff act as a thread sealant as well? I've been having trouble with some 1/2" BSPT hex nipples in elbows and ball valves leaking profusely at mains water pressure - I've used the standard two wraps of pink teflon tape then upped that to four but no good.

There's better stuff to use if you want a good seal, Ill have to wait until I'm home to take a pic but its a loctite product which is a liquid Teflon and dries hard. I use it on brewery LPG threaded fittings. Anti seize stays as a paste.

Great, thanks Husky. Can the sealant be removed afterwards or does it become set forever?

That BSM union in your pic is where we would more commonly be using this anti sieze as its product contact and if they sieze its a bitch. You don't generally see any threaded fittings in food applications, is that a beer line?
It is a 3" OD stainless distribution manifold for beer. The BSM nut holds a sight glass in place.

The system was installed by Courage in the mid 70's. It comprises 3 x 5000 Lt holding tanks that are piped to 3 x 8 way distribution manifolds, which when fitted with the 2 way block manifolds as pictured in post one, feed up to 48 beer lines.

Nice job. Welding is a skill which I do not possess - I admire those that can do it well.

I'm using the one on the left for water lines with threaded valves and the one on the right for gas lines.
Either is fine for both however.

View attachment 108178

Thanks mate. If either is fine for both application, is there any reason you use both products as you do? I need to seal some threads against mains pressure water on the CFC, and also wort on my pump inlet/outlet - it seems like Loxeal is easier to get a hold of so any good reason to try a bit harder and get the Loctite instead? Happy to make the effort if it's worth doing...

Cheers,

I prefer the loxeal so go with that. Can't recall why I have both but suspect it's to try a few options and settle on what works best. The loxeal dries hard the locktite does not so for pressure you are going to want the loxeal anyway. I believe the locktite claims if you let it set it will seal but I had a go last week on a mains water pressure line and it didn't work(could have been due to poor preparation).

I prefer the loxeal so go with that. Can't recall why I have both but suspect it's to try a few options and settle on what works best. The loxeal dries hard the locktite does not so for pressure you are going to want the loxeal anyway. I believe the locktite claims if you let it set it will seal but I had a go last week on a mains water pressure line and it didn't work(could have been due to poor preparation).

Great, thanks for that.

Used buckets of 567, just keep it in a container, if the tube leaks in your tool box, there goes a whole week wasted cleaning it all up.
Use an sealer/anti-seize and you have no problems ever with galling, threads freezing, leaking... Don't and you may well spend a lot of time and money trying to undo the job later.
Plenty of good food grade options on market, but I'm a happy Loctite customer.
Mark

Don't and you may well spend a lot of time and money trying to undo the job later.
Plenty of good food grade options on market, but I'm a happy Loctite customer.
Mark

Amen to that... Total of $2800 out of pocket expenses for a routine run of the mill job!

I have had many people recommend the food grade Loctite anti - seize. The guy who bailed me out of the sh!t with his welding skills recommended this product though, so I have 2 different types now. Haven't got the bill for the Loctite yet, but this product was a shade over $100 for 454g can.

Thread_Eze.jpg

If you don't want to use antiseize / sealant and wish to avoid galling a permanent solution is to flow Harris 56% silver onto one of the threads with an oxy torch.

If you are careful the layer will be thin enough that the stainless on the opposing thread will simply make its own way when the parts are mated. If you find yourself forcing it, back out and re-tap the thread you coated in silver. Again if you are careful you'll cut the silver back but not off so the remaining layer will protect against galling.

Latest posts

Back