Stainless hop spider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last hop bad brew (110 IBU black IPA) I used the hop spider for the FWH , 40 and 20 min additions. I then used my old hop bad for the 10 min as the spider was fairly full by that stage.

I stir the spider on each addition to avoid the green plug.

I have modified my keg king spider so that it suspended by 4 arms and sits in the middle of the kettle. I hung the hop bag off one of the arms.

takai said:
takai, on 27 Mar 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

Almost a year on, how are peoples hop spiders going? Mine has clogged up a fair bit and even long soaks and scrubs with PBW isnt getting the residue out. Any other solutions?
Try soaking in a 3.0% solution of hot caustic followed by a light scrubbing.

Of course, you will need to be careful & wear long sleeves, gloves & a face shield but caustic does a great job on stainless that's why breweries use it.
Here's a (steamy) pic of the results of my first system caustic clean after years of using PBW every brewday & thinking I was doing a great job. B)

Caustic Clean.JPG

I purchased one of the utah bio diesel jobs and used it for the first time on the weekend. Extremely effective and worth the $ IMO

Moad said:
I purchased one of the utah bio diesel jobs and used it for the first time on the weekend. Extremely effective and worth the $ IMO
Please explain?

There's a company called Utah Bio Diesel who make all kinds of filters. A hop spider being one of them

Moad said:
what was the shipping cost (or total cost landed if you link to the model/size you bought)?

Sorry I didn't realise how far back the Utah Bio Diesel filters were mentioned.

10.5" diameter x 18" tall 300 micron

USD $190 to my door, turnaround was about 2 weeks if I remember correctly

Moad said:
Yeah... As I said though, worth it
Honest question - what's the benefit of something like the Utah Bio Diesel filter over the ~$35 Kegking type spider? You're not the first to mention a significantly more expensive spider/filter. Is it longevity? Are the exxy ones easier to clean or something?

solipsist said:
Honest question - what's the benefit of something like the Utah Bio Diesel filter over the ~$35 Kegking type spider?
or the slightly more expensive mangrove jack version

solipsist said:
Honest question - what's the benefit of something like the Utah Bio Diesel filter over the ~$35 Kegking type spider? You're not the first to mention a significantly more expensive spider/filter. Is it longevity? Are the exxy ones easier to clean or something?

SBOB said:
or the slightly more expensive mangrove jack version

From what I can tell, the micron size of the mangrove jack or bio diesel is larger. I have the keg king one and don't use it, it's too fine in my opinion and doesn't drain well enough. I wasn't happy with the extraction of hop flavour/bittering

So my KK one is all but clogged up now, and hot caustic isnt doing anything. I think its just too fine.

Has anyone got the MJ one, and what is it like? Im waiting for them to come back in stock.

Takai the MJ one is shitloads better m8, the boil still reaches the inside of the hop spider and doesn't block up

Exile said:
Takai the MJ one is shitloads better m8, the boil still reaches the inside of the hop spider and doesn't block up
Nice, will have to get one... when they come back in stock. Or does anyone know of a supplier that still has some in stock?

I have had made in the past Stainless Steel BIAB filter baskets , they were 24 cm x 30 cm . Some interest was shown in a
bigger one , I've been talking to the manufacturer and I'm looking at making a 29.0 cm diameter basket by 38 cm high plus
legs and there will be a handle ( that's 25 L volume ). The dimensions are critical , as it all adds to cost. Any bigger and postage
doubles. Depending on interest the price would be significantly less than $190 USD.
Anyone interested please message me.

Purely size and sturdiness over keg king one. Keg king feels flimsy, Utah bd one is solid!

Would have definitely been interested in a local cheaper option if they existed when I purchased mine.

Have a KK one I picked up in a bit of some random bits. Was pretty clogged when I got it but a soak for a few days in PBW fixed it up. Used it once with some hop cones but never again. Too restrictive. Better to let them swim free and whirlpool cleans then up. 50 l keggle. BIAB

Moad said:
Purely size and sturdiness over keg king one. Keg king feels flimsy, Utah bd one is solid!

Would have definitely been interested in a local cheaper option if they existed when I purchased mine.
The Americans do make some good equipment the problem is the freight is a killer.
I should have said these SS baskets I'm looking at getting made will fit in most 30 L urns and 40 L urns ie Crown , Birko , Rabotherm etc...

Back