Stainless Herms Coil Released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is this the only style it comes in? are you able to make them larger? wider? shorter?

fellas its a Heat Exchanger not a p*nis. you sounds like a spam email. do you want your HE longer, wider, larger, lol.

fellas its a Heat Exchanger not a p*nis. you sounds like a spam email. do you want your HE longer, wider, larger, lol.

Yeah pretty much - unless you're running a monster three phase heating element or something there is no need for a bigger coil. Even then it would still work so long as the flow was sufficient.

do i understand this correctly, this coil, in a suitable 'rocket' with heating element, will control the mash entirely ?

as in you start with cold tap water, start recirculating until strike temp, then ramp etc

if this is the case, how does one deal with sparging ?

do i understand this correctly, this coil, in a suitable 'rocket' with heating element, will control the mash entirely ?

as in you start with cold tap water, start recirculating until strike temp, then ramp etc

In the simplest system, you just grab the hose that outputs the recirculated wort into your mash tun, and swing it over into your kettle. Then fly sparge away.

Generally one would have a T piece with a couple of ball valves, one end goes to the mash tun, the other to the kettle.

Yep the heat exchange does the entire mash via a "control box". The heat exchange is just a heat exchange, that is where the control (sends power) does it work. Yes cold to mash out.
Sparge as you would in a normal situation either via the pump of gravity.
Nev

or use hlt to strike temp and then use HE to control temp eg for step mash, mash out etc. quicker that way. thats what ill be doing.

Yep the heat exchange does the entire mash via a "control box". The heat exchange is just a heat exchange, that is where the control (sends power) does it work. Yes cold to mash out.
Sparge as you would in a normal situation either via the pump of gravity.
Nev

ok, so you still need a hlt, i misunderstood

Yes and no, if you use BIAB type water additions (total in the mash) then no, depends on the size of your mashing vessel.
Still need a boil kettle . :icon_cheers:
Nev

i can see problems achieving 1 deg a minute if using biab type water addition for a 100 litre batch

Pretty easy, some tube (plumbers 100mm PVC DWV out of site bin) glue a few bunnings fittings and a 40mm hole for the element and you are in business.
When I have time I will post bunnings parts list and measurements.
Nev

Order is in Nev.

If you could get that parts list up it'll give me something to do while I wait for the rest of the system to go on sale.

Cheers

Mr W

Yes, I am getting a build pdf together over the weekend, i will try to get the part numbers up before then.
Nev

If I can build it anybody can. The part numbers are great - you waltz into the green shed and know you are getting the right stuff. Hint - grab 2 threaded caps so you can **** up the first one ......
cheers
BBB

will an stc1000 suffice using this equipment?

I'll tell you in a week or so. This is what I am planning to initially trial it with. I just got all the main parts off Nev.

I'll be doing double batch BIAB but only using it to ramp up temp from 50ish degrees (from hot water system) to mash temp and hold steady, then up to up to 75 ish for the mash out. Gas takes over from there (for the pot, not me).

Im interested to see ramp speed and also if the stc can hold a steady mash temp

Ramp up speed is quicker than I thought it would be. The rocket works really well. I've actually built a HLT (old coopers fermenter) with an element from the same kettle used in the rocket. It takes 25L sparge water 30 mins from 28C to 78C.
Cheers
BBB

Back