Stainless Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quite like the look of these units. Given that I no chill in food grade plastic cubes though, not sure if I would already be suffering from this. Is this something that happens specifically during the fermentation phase or just the length of time that the wort sits in a plastic vessel? I haven't noticed anything unusual but I also haven't fermented in stainless or chilled since my extract days.

Les the Weizguy said:
I assume it's the reported "flavour scalping" which happens in plastic fermentors.

FWIW

(* from the Better Bottle website - link on the left menu)
Makes sense Les, I've noticed a cidery flavour in beers fermented in plastic after a batch of cider, even though the fermenter has been cleaned using Sod Perc and left dry for weeks then disinfected using vinegar/bleach, rinsed then sanitised using Starsan.

dicko said:
Hi Screwy,

Could you post a pic of the modified tap in your new vessel?
Will do, after the batch is kegged monday.

Screwy

Screwtop said:
Will do, after the batch is kegged monday.

Screwy
Thanks Screwy, whenever it is convenient.

Carry Harnesses are now loaded up on the website for these units. They'll fit these stainless units, and glass carboys as well.

Screwy, Know what you mean about cleaner/crisper. Don't think it's an oxygen issue since the yeast would scavenge the tiny amount of O2 that could get in there i reckon. Don't really know why.

Martin

Hey Martin,

I'm thinking about getting a ss fermenter ITNF & a quick squiz at the pics (Of the Mangrove Jack's 25 litre jobbie --- https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/multi-purpose-parts-and-accessories/fermenters-parts-and-accessories/mangrove-jacks-stainless-steel-fermenter-25l) on your website would indicate that TOTAL volume is more like around 28/29 litres if those internal volume markings are anything to go by which is more in line to what I am hoping for.
Confirmation please. :)

Also looking at your 30-litre ss vat which has handles that would negate the extra expense of getting that carrier strap thingo for the MJ's 25 litre thus bringing it into my possible purchase calculations?
Have you got the external dimensions of this fella? ---- https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/multi-purpose-parts-and-accessories/glass-jars-demijohns-carboys-and-parts/wide-mouth-vat-30l-stainless-steel
Also, any pros or cons of using this product as a beer fermenter greatly appreciated.

Will measure it up and drop them to you by PM Pete. Will also put them up in the description on the website.

Correct on the volume for the MJ SS model.

Martin

HBHB said:
Carry Harnesses are now loaded up on the website for these units. They'll fit these stainless units, and glass carboys as well.

Screwy, Know what you mean about cleaner/crisper. Don't think it's an oxygen issue since the yeast would scavenge the tiny amount of O2 that could get in there i reckon. Don't really know why.

Martin
Think it's more to do with flavours/aromas remaining in the plastic Martin. Been doing double batches for 5 years and have noticed many differences between batches. Same volume, same yeast, same pitching rate and method (starter/rehydrated/dried etc). Many times I've picked up a plastic fermenter which has been cleaned after use and stored for a good while only to find it smells of either hops or something else from the previous batch. Have used chocolate, coconut essence and bourbon in beers and these have left aromas in the plastic fermenters. Cider and Ginger Beer also leave aromas in plastic fermenters, even after using Sodium Perc, rinsing and drying and storing for weeks. Have had an infection pass on a kind of off aroma to many beers down the line. Took a long time to realise that these very slight off aromas were actually coming from the fermenter. I would ferment a double batch, one would have the aroma of a slight infection or acetaldehyde and the other would be clean. Buying the glass fermenter and trying it helped establish that the aromas were coming from the fermenter. Batches split between plastic and glass resulted in clean taste from the glass and a 'something else' flavour/aroma from the plastic. Glass scares the shit out of me, I remember Bindi bumping one of his glass fermenters about 2006 while moving it, result was messy and painful. Full stainless brewery for me!

Screwy

I think Screwtops deductions that if flavours do absorb into the plastic,it would strengthen the reasoning that toxins would be being leached into the beer, it wouldn't be a one way street.

Hey Martin, all this talk of stainless fermenters has got me thinking. What are we looking at postage wise to get one to WA?

TidalPete said:
Also looking at your 30-litre ss vat which has handles that would negate the extra expense of getting that carrier strap thingo for the MJ's 25 litre thus bringing it into my possible purchase calculations?
Have you got the external dimensions of this fella? ---- https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/multi-purpose-parts-and-accessories/glass-jars-demijohns-carboys-and-parts/wide-mouth-vat-30l-stainless-steel
Also, any pros or cons of using this product as a beer fermenter greatly appreciated.
I like the look of that one as well, I would never go back to anything smaller than 30lt for a fermenter.

ATM I have several plastic fermenters and try to use the same ones for lagers or ales. I would never use essences in my beers (I don't like chemicals) but I have used natural extracts and I know with these beers you can get a carry-over flavours.

My problem is I would need four stailnless fermenters, $800.00, phew! It won't fit the budget just now.

I can see the advantage and wish I could have a full set of them in my brewery.

Batz

Screwtop said:
Glass scares the shit out of me, I remember Bindi bumping one of his glass fermenters about 2006 while moving it, result was messy and painful. Full stainless brewery for me!

Screwy
I had a glass fermenter for a short while Screwy, and I almost lost a foot!. Luckily for me it missed, now glass also scares the hell out of me.

doh.jpg

What did you do to that carboy!

Mine has made it safely down to adelaide with me from brissy living in a milk crate all this time. Gets rolled on grass while cleaning and shaken etc but I keep it in the milk crate, that's why I haven't bought the web strapping either.

practicalfool said:
What did you do to that carboy!

Mine has made it safely down to adelaide with me from brissy living in a milk crate all this time. Gets rolled on grass while cleaning and shaken etc but I keep it in the milk crate, that's why I haven't bought the web strapping either.
I washed it with sodium perc., then tried to lift it and it was all slippery. The rest is shown in the photo. :unsure:

Back