Stainless Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Logman said:
Do you have the replacement taps?
Price for those?
Is the tap thread the same size diameter as a standard fermenter style tap?
1. identical ones not yet in stock. Won't be far away.
2.Unknown at this stage
3 No

djar007 said:
Is it 40mm to the outside or 40 mm inside bottom of the tank.

editz; just read the post again.
Yup inside and to the bottom of the tap intake.

Airgead said:
Nice...

I'm assuming there is some sort of o ring seal for the lid?

And given its an internal nut it shouldn't be too hard to replace the plastic tap with something else. Like an adjustable pickup tube... Don't suppose you know how big the hole for the tap is?

Cheers
Dave
Dave, yes, it's a silicone one

Would imagine it's not a big job. the hole is oblong 20x18mm due to the OEM tap being flat sided along the vertical axis on the thread. Not an issue for someone who can handle a file without the sky falling in.

Martin

Thanks for the explanation re: conicals being so expensive.

Still really want to get a conical, do 60-90L ever go below $500?

A few mates that are into distilling have been looking around for stainless fermenters, might have to let them know about these

*edit

Woo, 1000th post!

syl said:
Thanks for the explanation re: conicals being so expensive.

Still really want to get a conical, do 60-90L ever go below $500?
Um, nup, can't even buy them for that in $US plus freight out of China.

Do you think these would hold up to 'No Chill' ? Maybe if you got a rubber bung to stuff in the top, or sold lids (without hole) seperately.

Cocko said:
Is this better?

Sorry, sounds cynical but am asking out interest..

Cheers
Not cynical at all. That one will take a 1/2"BSP Ball Valve, has a silicone lid seal and handles Cocko. Italian made (very nicely I might add), but has a number of internal ridges etc.

There's a couple kicking about being used as fermenter's but no feedback on them to date.

Martin

G_T_G said:
Do you think these would hold up to 'No Chill' ? Maybe if you got a rubber bung to stuff in the top, or sold lids (without hole) seperately.
They'd hold up to it, but then, not any better than a 25L cube for that task.

Martin

HBHB said:
They'd hold up to it, but then, not any better than a 25L cube for that task.

Martin
You might have to replace a few Martin if you're claiming they'll withstand no chilling completely sealed. The pressure created from the cooling wort I reckon would collapse these in an instant.

Cheers Ross

Ross said:
You might have to replace a few Martin if you're claiming they'll withstand no chilling completely sealed. The pressure created from the cooling wort I reckon would collapse these in an instant.

Cheers Ross
Good point - hadn't thought of the vacuum during cooling Ross. Doing a brew over the weekend, might have to throw a sacrificial lamb to the beer gods to see what happens :ph34r:

In-store trial with Boiling water leaves me a bit uneasy with doing no-chill - as Ross mentioned "Vacuum". Just 20 minutes of cooling, fully sealed using a bung on the lid to fully seal the unit lead to a slight vacuum and will ultimately probably lead to a collapsed vessel if left unchecked.

No need to take that one any further.......stick with the no chill in a plastic cube or else cover the hole in the lid with a starsan soaked dense cloth.

Good pick-up Ross. Thanks.

Martin

HBHB,

I'll get one if you can convince me about the tap - that it's going to be cheap as chips to replace, or, you can pull it apart and clean it, or, soaking it in PBW will do the job because it doesn't trap as much crap.

I really want something like this, looks way better to tip a cube into as well, easier to stop a massive head of foam.

Logman said:
HBHB,

I'll get one if you can convince me about the tap - that it's going to be cheap as chips to replace, or, you can pull it apart and clean it, or, soaking it in PBW will do the job because it doesn't trap as much crap.

I really want something like this, looks way better to tip a cube into as well, easier to stop a massive head of foam.
Cost of a replacement tap through us will be < AUD $10.00. Don't have an exact price because they haven't arrived in Australia yet.

Once I've convinced myself about the tap, i'll let you know. I'll have a brew going into one this weekend and time will tell. This weekend's AIPA with a double dry hop should do the trick if there's going to be issues.

Not sure how these are supposed to stop a massive head of foam. I'm thinking blow off tubes and bottles are going to be a necessity with ales, especially with huge top croppers like Notty.

Will let you know if PBW affects the tap or if it's prone to blocking.

No hard sell here. It's pretty much impossible to provide a product of this nature that's going to do everything for everyone with double the price tag of these units. They'll have a place in the market. We just need to identify if there's shortcomings, what they are and take that back to the company. There's been a few go out locally and we're awaiting those customers thoughts on the units.

Martin

HBHB said:
Not sure how these are supposed to stop a massive head of foam.
When you tip the no chill cube into a fermenter, the top of the fermenter has a narrow opening, this means that you can't pour onto the sides of the fermenter. But yours has parallel walls so you can empty the no chill cubes onto the sides, it will splash waaay less making it easier to pitch dry yeast onto the top.

As long as the taps easy to clean I'm getting one for sure. I'm moving house so I tossed all my old dirty fermenters yesterday. Keep us posted on the IPA :beerbang:

Any update 'HBHB' on tap? or feed back so far from those that bought them?

G_T_G said:
Any update 'HBHB' on tap? or feed back so far from those that bought them?
Yep, had forgotten all about that. Sorry.

It was OK. Wouldn't say it's better than a standard fermenter tap, nor worse. No complete blockages - flow did slow a fair bit from a stray hop flower towards the end.

Ran it out of the tap and into a ghetto style hopback for the QLD Christmas Case Swap.

I think for now, it's the best we've got in the price range. Not all the features of a 700-800 conical, but functional for a fermenter that will last a lifetime - no more, no less.

Waiting to hear back from a US company on the cheap conical option - they're bogged down with domestic orders ATM, but think we'll be able to sort something with them in time.

Martin

HBHB said:
Waiting to hear back from a US company on the cheap conical option - they're bogged down with domestic orders ATM, but think we'll be able to sort something with them in time.

Yep, definietly keeping an eye on those SS Brew buckets, especially with the 'handles', which would make it possible to move it in and out of a chest freezer.

Anyone own / use one of these bad boys? I need a new fermenter and this may fit the bill. Logman have you invested in one yet?

Latest posts

Back