Stainless Conicals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
before anyone else cany say,

Pics???????????????

Wortgames said:
For temperature regulation we plan to offer a 316 grade stainless immersion coil, which will fit through the polycarbonate lid using cable glands. This is going to be a cheaper, neater and more efficient method than external coils or jackets, and it will be easy to add one down the track.

[post="88491"][/post]​

Looking good WG.

With the immersiion coil would this be capable of keeping the wort at lager fermenting temps and do away with the need for a fermenting fridge? If so I cannot wait, 46L sounds perfect for this.

Cheers :beerbang:

sluggerdog said:
Looking good WG.

With the immersiion coil would this be capable of keeping the wort at lager fermenting temps and do away with the need for a fermenting fridge? If so I cannot wait, 46L sounds perfect for this.

Cheers :beerbang:
[post="88521"][/post]​

I reckon it should work well. It'll be a case of trial and error with insulation and chilling method, but I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to chill down to quite low temps with the right setup.

Wow...
I'd love to get my hands on one of these puppies..
I am assuming around the $700 mark for the 56L model with butterfly valves?

can someone please lend wortgames a camera. ;)
the suspense is killing a few of us.

cheers
big d

Sorry guys, I'm conferencing all this week but hopefully my munchkins are toiling behind the scenes and I'll try and get some pics on the weekend. The first one was pretty ugly as it was only tacked together to check dimensions, and I didn't even think to take the camera with me.

Remain calm, nothing to see :)

Don't worry guys.
I took delivery today of the prototype for R&D testing.
The prototype is a bit bigger that the planned production models, but the key spec's are all proportional so will scale down.

Here is a piccy.

lo110305fermenttanks3.jpg

Beers,
Doc

PS: It holds 126,000 gallons :lol: link

Doc...

You owe me a new keyboard cause I spilt beer on it from laughing so hard

AND you owe me a beer as well.... :lol:

I'm the wife (and NSW Homebrew Judge) of a home brewer and would love to be able to give one of these to him for Christmas...... how are we looking?? :?

we can't tell you or you might tell the other wifes ;)

I'll let you know as soon as I can - watch this space or send me an email if you don't check in very often.

More news after the weekend I hope!

I really hope these come to fruition and soon Wortgames, as that will be my Xmas present from my wife.
Don't think I've really looked forward to the end of the weekend before, but I'm itiching to see some photos.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

My skin is crawling too..and Im cashed up ready to go...

051113_0014.jpg
Hallelujah!

OK boys and girls, here is your first sighting of a real genuine wortgames cylindro-conical unitank-style fermenting vessel.

Please ignore the weld quality, this is purely a prototype that has been put together under trying circumstances by Me Mate Glyn (pictured), to test fittings and to appease you guys.

051113_0006.jpg
Me Mate Glyn

I can't show you Me Mate Glyn's face cos he's the guy that NASA send their welding to when they get stuck, and he's in the Welder Protection Program.

You would not believe the kind of stuff that Me Mate Glyn can do with a suitably equipped workshop, but right here he's using a borrowed welder in his ex-girlfriend's back yard. Apparently NASA insist on this.

The genuine articles will most likely be welded in a pharmaceutical plant engineering facility on millions of dollars worth of equipment, unless we can fit millions of dollars worth of pharmaceutical plant welding equipment in the back of a 1986 Mitsubishi L300 and an ex-girlfriend's back yard.

051113_0016.jpg 051113_0020.jpg
Mmm, stainlessy...

The basic plot is that the bottom of the fermenter terminates in a triclover type threadless ferrule, and the valve (rather cunningly I thought) does the same thing. Pictured is a 1" butterfly valve, but there will be the option of a few different valves as mentioned earlier in this thread.

The legs will be essentially adjustable and based on square-section sockets with a pin to lock the legs in place. This may help to keep freight costs down if you want long legs, you could opt to buy them legless and visit your local square-section stainless / mild steel / aluminium / timber / titanium supplier to get some lengths of whatever material you want cut to whatever height you want. You'll just need to drill them for the locking pins.

The top of the fermenter will have a rim and use a stainless steel clamping ring with an overcentre lever to clamp the lid to the fermenter. The lid itself will be 6mm polycarbonate to begin with but toughened glass may be an option next year if we can get some sensible pricing. Polycarbonate is very strong, relatively cheap and can easily be modified to accept a plethora (if not a myriad) of fittings such as airlocks, gas fittings, chiller coils and satellite dishes. Toughened glass will be more scratch resistant and therefore more sanitary over the longer term. Both will hopefully use the same silicone seal.

Estimated Time of Arrival

Trust me, I'm spending far too much time and money on pulling this together, but I have enough packet noodles to last me until Christmas. The situation as it stands is that the prototype pictured was built from my original apparition. The lid rings had to be sourced and flown in from overseas, and they are a bit larger than originally specified, so the design has now been tweaked to fit them. I will only get a couple of new blanks cut and rolled, until we can build the next prototype and confirm the fit with the lid rings. Assuming the fit is good I can then get a bunch of blanks cut and rolled and we are all go, but if my maths is kaput then we'll have to go through the cycle again. Unfortunately, Australia being the awesome and lucky country that it is, most suppliers are far busier buying new cars and swimming pools than returning customer phone calls or keeping promises so every step takes rather longer than we would all like.

I would dearly like to think a few of these are bubbling away on boxing day, but I'm very much aware that it's already mid-November and that a lot of industry is already cramming their existing work and thinking about hibernation for the summer, so I really don't want to make promises or take any money yet. I'm essentially optimistic though.

Expect another update next weekend!

:beer:

Latest posts

Back