Stainless Cam Loc Quick Disconnects

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to do it and buy some Stainless Steel Cam Loc fittings as seen on Beerbelly site.

Which way around should they go ?

Do you put the male Cam loc on the kettle and female on the hose or the reverse (male of hose, female on the kettle) and why ?

BOG

Hi,

I'm going to do it and buy some Stainless Steel Cam Loc fittings as seen on Beerbelly site.

Which way around should they go ?

Do you put the male Cam loc on the kettle and female on the hose or the reverse (male of hose, female on the kettle) and why ?

BOG

I would put the male connector on the kettle / MT. Obviously I would also put a valve prior to it. Depending on how close you have the female connector to your kettle (if thats the way you go) you may find it difficult to unclip.

BYB

Edit: Thats how we use them at my place of work.

I would put the male connector on the kettle / MT. Obviously I would also put a valve prior to it. Depending on how close you have the female connector to your kettle (if thats the way you go) you may find it difficult to unclip.

BYB

Edit: Thats how we use them at my place of work.

+1 For that.

I got a pair from beerbelly before Christmas and wasn't sure myself. Amanda was happy to confirm that I didn't have them the irght...wrong way around.

Cheers

Breezy

Same as the others, Male on Kettle. Female on hose.
More bits to clean on the female end, rubbers, arms etc, therefore you can drop the end of a hose in a bucket to sanitiser.
I am using Barrel unions not Cam lock, but it is the same principles for cleaning.
If you have the cash order enough cam locks throughout the brewery, plus spares all in one hit (same supplier and batch). A lot of SS fittings are made slightly different from different suppliers, therefore buying 2 more in 12 months time may be just a fraction out and cause leaks.

I have put it the other way around, ie f on kettle and m on hose and used a barrell nipple in between BV and camlock as it suited my setup better.You will find that male thread fittings, any which way you go, will be cheaper as they are easier to manufacture than female thread. From memory the m camlock with barb worked out a bit cheaper than f camlock with barb too.

Cheers

Sully

EDIT: hmmm, me thinks me should rethink & change it after reading Bostons post...

That was my thinking but needed to be sure before I went out and spent the $$.

I priced up brass garden hose fittings and the cam loc's are about twice that price.
I figure I'll get better performance and life out of them compared to brass fittings as the bunnings ones are rather cheap looking.

Also in another thread they is mention of the nylon hose locks on the back of them leaking under heat.

I'm going to purchase 3 sets that should do it for the moment. I don't have a march pumpt yet.

BOG

My personal suggestion is male on the kettle, and female on the hosing. If you put the male on the hosing, and then drop the end of the hose on the concrete for some reason (like I occassionally do while brewing), the face of the male cam may be damaged, and possibly create sealing problems down the track. It's not possible to do that to the female fitting, as the sealing face is protected from damage if you drop it. Hence I always put the female on the end of the hosing. :)

Boston's suggestion of purchasing all your camlock fittings as a set all at once is a very good one - we now tend to order them in sets to avoid the problems he mentioned, as we have had to swap a couple over in recent times due to very slight differences in tolerances making some we had purchased a while ago for a customer not compatible with a later addition he made. The perplexing thing is that both sets were T & S brand fittings, same size, ordered from the same supplier. My guess is they may have changed manufacturer/tooling at some point. They all seem to be standard now, but it probably does pay to order as a set anyway.

Cortez,

Thanks for the PDF. I've seen this one posted here before but couldn't find it anywhere (the search function is not so hot)

i've been looking for it for days. Could not seem to find them in the yellow pages search but remembered Ingleburn.

Thanks very much. appreciated.

BOG

Looking at the T&S catalogue it apears the outside diameter of the hose tail is 20mm.
Are people using 1/2" (14mm) or 3/4" (19mm) hose?

Males on the vessels, females on the hoses...easier to clean that way and usually makes getting the hose on easier aswell.

Latest posts

Back