!st All Grain Tomorrow

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbuoy

Reaction score
Well the AG setup is finally finished and tomorrow is the big day. Just going to run some PBW through the gear then its on! 1st AG. I'm doing the LCBA clone from the recipe database.

Here's a pic of the gear minus burners. I will be no chilling so the kettle will drain into a cube on the floor.
I went for a more modular design that stacks away under the bench when I'm not using it. I don't have enough room in the shed for one big rig and the thought of 50l of boiling liquid on a milk crate scares me.

IMGP1791.JPG

Now I just have to make sure there's enough cold beer to get me through the process :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Ian

Nice one :beerbang:

Have fun, take some pics to follow up this thread. You're gonna love it.

Cheers
Steve

Nice setup B) . Definately going to enjoy making the first one, i'm onto my 3rd tomorrow and looking forward to it. The smell is sensational.

good luck bb, don't stress the small stuff and enjoy the day, have you got some tubing from the Tun to the Kettle ?

cheers
Yard

Check your taps....check your taps....and check your taps again. Nothing more horrifying than seeing beautiful wort pouring out all over the damn floor. (Muckey <_< )

AArrhhh...... LCBA clone, my 3rd AG. It was excellent, so I did a double batch last Monday. had the best day, hit all targets spot on.
Two 20Lt ferment's sitting in my beer fridge at the moment waiting for kegging next weeked..

good luck... you will love this recipe

P3093597.JPG

PS..check ya taps

Check your taps....check your taps....and check your taps again. Nothing more horrifying than seeing beautiful wort pouring out all over the damn floor. (Muckey <_< )
And again check your valves.And dont burn any hoses.All been done before .Good luck , let us know how you go.BTW I cracked the concrete in my shed by having a test run with my burner mounted on bricks.Not good!
GB

AArrhhh...... LCBA clone, my 3rd AG. It was excellent, so I did a double batch last Monday. had the best day, hit all targets spot on.
Two 20Lt ferment's sitting in my beer fridge at the moment waiting for kegging next weeked..

good luck... you will love this recipe

View attachment 25441

PS..check ya taps

Is that the LCBA clone from the recipeDB ? Is it really as good as all the votes ?, I have it on the list for my next ag and hope it is !!!

Andy

Do a practice run with boiling water, put the boiling water in your tun... Check for leaks, boiling water will bring out the leaks...

Is that the LCBA clone from the recipeDB ? Is it really as good as all the votes ?, I have it on the list for my next ag and hope it is !!!

Andy

Andy,

Yes it is a LCBA clone form the recipeDB...

works well for me

1.Yep, got hose from the tun to the kettle and the kettle to the cube.

2.Yep, did a run with hot water and.....yep, it leaked.... bugger. Still I guess its better to find out before brew day.

Just started heating the strike water so its hurry up and wait now.

cheers

EDIT... Just mashed in. Hit 65.3 after adding .5lt cool water. Happy with that.

Wait till it's mashing, you will be Soooooooooo bored.

No you wont.. you'll be running round in circles biting your fingernails trying to figure out how this could be so easy.. :p

No you wont.. you'll be running round in circles biting your fingernails trying to figure out how this could be so easy.. :p

You're dead right....what do i do now!!......What do i do now!!

LOL, it's like that.....

Standing there going, "I should be doing something.........."

Just don't have to many beers waiting... :party:

My 2nd AG i got a little pissed and forgot to get my fermenters ready

Update???

Update?.........bloody awsome! Looks and smells good.

Only mishaps where a stuck sparge and my brother gave the kettle a good stir after I had whirlpooled and was just getting ready to transfer to the cube :eek: ..........Bless me I said!! Bless me.

I think the stuck sparge was caused by me draining the tun to quickly and also draining it down to the grain bed (fly sparge). Anyway after a stir up, bit more water and recirculating it worked fine from there.

All in all I'm very happy with the results considering its my first attempt and I've never even seen it done before. I guess i owe that to AHB and all the members for their wealth of knowledge.

IMGP1793.JPG
The finished product. Might have to use a smaller cube. I had to squeese this one up a lot to get rid of the air space. EDIT : Tilt head 90 deg right, .....unless you've had a few sherbets already, then just nod and smile in appreciation.

IMGP1794.JPG
The kettle trub. I used a hop sock as I wasn't convinced the whirfloc and whirlpooling would work that well. It did, so next time I'll try without the hop sock.

IMGP1795.JPG
And when I'm done my AG setup packs away under the bench as planned.

Cheers

Ian

Very nice and the setup packs away so nice i may have to steel that setup.

:beer:

Great to hear it all went relatively well.

When's round 2?

Latest posts

Back