New Gear Need Some Advice Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megs8888

Reaction score
Hi all joined the forums not long ago and am getting into AG brewing, I have brewed before albeit 20 years ago so I'm tipping a lot has changed!

I used to brew with the syrup cans and will not go that way again.

I am looking at setting myself up properly with nice quality gear and have been looking at some items that I am keen to buy.

I'm going with a BM not sure whether to go 50 or 20L I suppose if I make a stinker it's better to have 20L of it than 50 :)

I will get a jacket for it and a lid I will make myself.

I am going to Keg so will buy a chest freezer 400L any recommendations? I suppose eBay is the go?

I will build a Keezer with the help of my dad. Any freezers to stay clear of?

Possible 4 Kegs 19L to start.

I have seen the corny kegs but saw these and was thinking of 2. (if if go 50L BM) https://www.brewmagic.com/product/select-sankey-keg/

They also have 7.75 Gal Kegs which are more than the corneys but look very well made maybe longer lasting these may be useful if (I go the 20L BM). https://www.brewmagic.com/product/select-sankey-keg-7-75-gallon/

I have a dual climate wine fridge which I will hopefully be able to use as a fermenter? Any one use these? or have knowledge if it will work ok? I have ordered a stc1000 which should arrive tomorrow so I can test that theory.

As a fermentor I am looking again at Sabco rather than a conical I like this again anyone have one they could share their knowledge of? https://www.brewmagic.com/product/brew-magic-fermenter/

Then what I am unsure about without wasting heaps of water is a chiller to cool the wort and which way to go. I was looking at this. A chill wizard. Again any experience with these would be appreciated. https://www.brewmagic.com/product/chill-wizard-system/

Would I need anything else with this apart from hoses clamps etc?

The only other option would be a jacketed conical then glycol chilling but that seems to be difficult and I have no idea about it, if anyone can help in that area I'd appreciate it.

Harris regulator for the kegs.

Parnell beer taps. X 4

I was looking at nitrogen for two taps for the stout or English ales as I believe you get the creamier head etc? Can anyone confirm this and have experience with it?

Then the cleaning gear PBW/Starsan etc.

I live in Croydon Victoria and would be good to find a brew club to learn some things and see a brew in action before I make my 1st. If anyone is aware of any in my area can they let me know.

Thanks Wayne.

Melbourne brewers brew club are closest to you. They have probably finished for the year though. Ferntree gully, associated with brewer's den in boronia.

Brendo (home brewer, pro brewer and all round nice bloke) is in croydon, I believe. Worth a PM.

It looks like money is no issue and that you are on a good track to buying right, buying once.

50 litres bud.
You can get a smaller malt pipe for 20s I believe.

Hey Wayne

Welcome to the forum.

I second the notion to join up with Melbourne Brewers. Meetings held last Wed of teh month in Ferntree Gully.

You just missed a great opportunity - we held the Vic AHB swap meet and brew day on Saturday. About 30 odd guys (some of them very odd) got together to swap beers, brew together - eat and drink copious amounts of great food and beer.

You'll get plenty of great advice and support on here too - there arent too many aspects of brewing that someone on here cant help you with.

GrumpyPaul

January mate, last meeting for the year was last week. Plenty of events coming up in the new year though.

Yob said:
January mate, last meeting for the year was last week. Plenty of events coming up in the new year though.
great Thanks

There is Beerfest, Melbourne Brewers flagship Homebrew competition, and also a glamping weekend of Steinbrew, this will be my first year of Steinbrew but really looking forward to Hot Rock brewing..

let me know if you are keen for either or both and check out the Melbourne brewers website for club details

:party:

indica86 said:
50 litres bud.
You can get a smaller malt pipe for 20s I believe.
I have a 20. Sometimes (not often) I wish I had a 50. Never heard of anyone with a 50 wishing they had a 20

Back