Spinning Sparge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barabool

Reaction score
Hi All
I am only new to BIAB and have read (maybe too much) on the pros and cons of sparging and the benefits of 'squeezing' the bag.
The fact that I'm BIABing probably demonstrates my desire for simplicity but i was wondering if anyone had tried spinning the grain to extract wort?
You can find simple manual washing machines made for places without electricity that could pass as a mash tun as well as spin sparging.

e.g http://inhabitat.com/human-powered-giradora-washer-needs-no-electricity-and-costs-only-40/
GiraDora-pedal-powered-washing-machine-537x410.jpg

Anyone know the science of extracting wort this way?

The science? Centrifugal force, what I'm wondering is why you want to complicate an already relatively straightforward process

When I first started with BIAB, my process was to squeeze the bag a bit, and when I got sick of that put it in a large colander in another large pot. I'd heat water up to about 70c and then pour it slowly through while the boil was doing its thing. Do that a few times and then pour the collected liquid into the boil with around 30m left.

Was it accurate or good for the beer? Who knows? Probably not. I know that I got more liquid out of it, though!

I think you would find that the washing machine plastic may not be food grade. What you need is a giant salad spinner!

I think that using the centrifugal force would allow you to extract all the wort from the grains, but gaining an extra couple of hundred mls is probably not necessary. I use a pulley, hoist it up after i sparge and let it drain over a pot, this drainage is then poured into the boil as i go.

Beercus

Gravity is your friend when sparging. Biabers just rig up teh bag to sit about 30-50cm above the kettle and let it continue to drip into the kettle throughout the boil.

Latest posts

Back