Grain press for BIAB for easy wort extraction?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I 'full volume' BIAB. Thirty litre kettle, stove-top with an over-the-side element when required. 3.2 to 3.6kg grain bill. No sparge, rubber gloved hand squeeze.

Prior to full volume I always batch sparged in a second kettle. Squeezed with great effort. They made a good difference to my OG and FG readings. But bugger all once I went full volume, so no more sparging and now only brief simple squeezing.

But was I 'missing' a lot of sugars? I tested:

1) brewed twice on the same day 2) pulled bag from batch #1, fitted bag into 2nd kettle & stirred into 10L @ 78C, OG 1010, dumped grain
3) pulled bag from batch #2, reheated the 10L to 78, fitted bag & stirred, OG 1018 * combination became the third batch for the day

Tastes like beer, low alcohol, neighbour that drinks Carlton light likes it, but I don't. I won't be doing again.

Result: With full volume BIAB I no longer sparge nor 'heavy' squeeze (4.8 to 5.4% is enough for me)

Cheers

Think of the benefits of squeezing the bag. Here I am, before and after switching to BIAB.

Before
stock-photo-skinny-male-torso-isolated-on-white-background-110833442.jpg

After:

stock-photo-muscled-male-model-showing-his-hand-142746694.jpg

Latest posts

Back