Spicing up a Best Bitter ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker9

Reaction score
Hi fellow ahbers

I brewed 45l of Best Bitter, 1st half already brewed and bottled, 2nd half in cube ready to ferment .

Any ideas of spices etc to make a different beer from the unfermented portion?

Could look at Christmas Beer recipes. With cinnamon, nutmeg etc.

I used to make a cracking good spiced Pale with Coopers PA can and 1kg dry malt.
1 Lemon+rind, 4 Cloves, 90g Grated Ginger, 3 bay leaves and 1 Habanero chilli.

Boil in enough water for 5-10min and strain into the wort when you pitch the yeast. Coopers yeast for fruitiness.

You could dry hop it with cascade. 50grams would give it a nice edge. I tried the Montieths spiced ale about 15 years ago. Haven't had a spiced beer or any type of Montieths beer since. Not my cup of tea at all. ...Cept belgian wits...

Try a different yeast and a dry hop? It doesn't say what you used for the first one but if it's available try wyeast West Yorkshire. Then dry hop with something traditional or close to it like EKG or Styrians or whatever. Better than ruining a perfectly serviceable bitter with spices.

I'm still fairly new to the all grain game and have only made one best bitter so far. Black Sheep Best Bitter from Camra's book. I used Wyeast West Yorkshire Ale yeast (as GalBrew suggests) and, to my taste it was a cracker of a brew. Keg must have leaked though 'cause it didn't last as long as I thought it would!

Back