Spent Grain - A Use Other Than The Bin?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive found all compost attracts mice.

Compost it, it attracts mice, the cats love it.
Little malty mice meals.

I dig mine into our garden and flower beds once it has cooled overnight. It helps the soil to hold moisture and the plants sure seem to like it. No issues with smell if you take care to dig it in right away otherwise it does stink up the place. In the 4 years we've owned this place our soil went from cementlike to very loose and rich - all due to spent grains.

I put mine in the garden once. I sat down at the dinner table one night and looked outside and saw a mf big rat going forward and backwards to the grain for about 30 mins. Needless to say the grain goes straight in the bin now.

This happened to me recently too. Only I saw about half a dozen rats running around the pile of grain!

I would compost it if I had a backyard big enough for a compost bin, so it goes in the bin.

wow, i cleaned up the brewery and 2 pages of reply's.

I have about 40Lt of damp grain. I might try to dig some into the dirt (as its crapy sand at the moment) and think it may help it hold water and air in the soil. its bin or garden so worth a try - i will report back any findings

I dont have a cat, just a daft dog that doesnt even chase birds however woof's at nothing - crazy

so if mice or rats get about i fear its no more grain

re dog treats - 40lt of grain would be one hell of a treat :p
if i had the time i would but i struggle to brew once a month now so the treats are not likly unless the dog brews me beer in return! :p

wow, i cleaned up the brewery and 2 pages of reply's.

I have about 40Lt of damp grain. I might try to dig some into the dirt (as its crapy sand at the moment) and think it may help it hold water and air in the soil. its bin or garden so worth a try - i will report back any findings

I dont have a cat, just a daft dog that doesnt even chase birds however woof's at nothing - crazy

so if mice or rats get about i fear its no more grain

re dog treats - 40lt of grain would be one hell of a treat :p
if i had the time i would but i struggle to brew once a month now so the treats are not likly unless the dog brews me beer in return! :p

You will find your daft dog will have a good nibble on the grain (to no ill effects) if you just put it on top of the soil instead of digging it in. Good luck with the garden!
Cheers
Steve

We put in the garden, make sure you turn it... flies love it!

dont give your dogs to much grain, not really fit for there stomachs.

this dog thinks is human. "i will have the lamb shank thanks sir"

I did however just dig in half the grain, and from some one that knows nothing :) it looks much better. hard work tho hence only half the grain! i will let it rest for a few weeks then try more and hopfully it gives the soil some life!

saves me filling the bin! and maybe i get some veg

(i have lettuce growing 3 sorts and the g/f just told me she doesnt like lettuce...... and she is a vego - talk about limitations)

My solution
IMG_4601_Small.jpg

Goes on the grass here as it holds the moisture in very well. Soil is so hard and water resistant that it can pour with rain one day and be bone dry the next. The grass doesn't like at first but it comes back greener and thicker than ever. my aim is to have the back yard mulched with spent grain.

Gavo.

It's great in worm farms. With 40 litres though you'll need a big worm farm!
After a few months the worms turn it into excellent compost, which you can chuck into your garden or pots.

sadly i dont have worms or compost ... the the chickens are no longer...... however they are my next plot! just need to get them past toll gate 1 then 2....eg it wont happen :(

I have a plan tho, there was a "no" to the veg patch so the grain is getting turned into a bit of unused garden... then i will plant seeds and hope they grow - then i will put poly plastic like a green yard and surely the boss will give in and let me keep it

:)

I dump mine on an empty bit of the vege plot, and fork it over straight away.
As my soil is primarily red clay, anything I can do to loosen it up is good.

Gout - leave the spent grain in the tun closed for a week or 2 and then explain to the missus, while standing next to the open mash tun, why you need either chooks, a compost bin or a vegie patch.

In between constant retching, i'm sure she will agree to all of them. :eek:

steve if i asked for there not to be a veg patch it would have been there already :)

i guess last time i asked if i can brew beer it was a small coopers kit..... now a 120Lt boiler, brew stand 10 kegs 3 taps 2 fridges freezers etc etc etc...... i can see what they are thinking veg patch = market garden :)

a chicken = farm

:p

i will get the patch just some time and will sneak it in :)

DrS. nice try but i did that once....... she said the entire brew stand will be in the bin if i try that :)

I have managed to score a spot in the garden - by far the worst but like an infection in the brew i will expand and take over "evil laugh" now i just need to decide what to grow

(i have lettuce growing 3 sorts and the g/f just told me she doesn't like lettuce...... and she is a vego - talk about limitations)

I have a plan tho, there was a "no" to the veg patch

a vegetarian who doesn't like lettuce or want a vege patch...? :wacko:

well, this vegetarian will happily let you build a vege patch at my house and drop off some lettuce while you're at it :p

trade for beer..... grain and hops sorta vegi :)

I think she is being tough because i went fishing and hunting deer on the weekend..... 1 bad mark

then fell over my fly rod trying to leave the house 2 bad marks ( at 3am)

then told the rod what i thought - 3-4 bad marks

might look for 2 bantams, they eat grain, they lay their ..... eggs and muck - the plants grow, she gets fresh veg (I will cook to sweeten the deal)...... then i claim beer is giving us so much we should upgrade the brewery

we all win?

god that was a nice dream

Is the patch big enough to grow a little barley? Hops certainly...
You could roast your own then...

Latest posts

Back