Sodastream Gas Bottle Q.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

praxis178

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm building a kegging setup for my Bro-in-law and I was thinking of going with a sodastream gas bottle as they are easy to get and get refilled, and as his setup will be dispensing only they should last a few kegs. So today I went and had a sqiz at the sodastream website and found that they do a "100L bottle" (http://store.sodastream.com.au/auretail/productmoreinfo.asp?catalog_name=Sodastream&category_name=Cylinders&product_id=1033100610&callerpage=http://store.sodastream.com.au/auretail/Store.asp) sorry for the long link but I can't seem to get the insert link button to work ATM in my browser.

So what I was wondering is will the standard sodastream adapter sold by CB etal work with this bottle? At $99/bottle (full) it's very tempting, and a refill is "only" $50, where as two 40L bottles go for $119 and refill at $40/two, so they cost more for less gas......

I have used a 100L for a while and though it seems cheap, they work out expensive. Twice they have failed to return the "deposit" of $40 and I have had to jump through hoops to get it back, still arguing about a refund of deposit from 2008!!!!

Stay away from using their website, not worth the hassle.

<end opinion of pissed off customer>

Instead I have bought one of the 2.2kg bottles off ebay (ASA stamped) and plan to swap/go at LHB that does that kind of thing.

Might be more upfront, but cheaper in long run.

I have used a 100L for a while and though it seems cheap, they work out expensive. Twice they have failed to return the "deposit" of $40 and I have had to jump through hoops to get it back, still arguing about a refund of deposit from 2008!!!!

Stay away from using their website, not worth the hassle.

<end opinion of pissed off customer>

Instead I have bought one of the 2.2kg bottles off ebay (ASA stamped) and plan to swap/go at LHB that does that kind of thing.

Might be more upfront, but cheaper in long run.

Thanks for the heads up.

Can you get the big ones refilled via K-mart? I know you can get the smaller ones done that way....

I've never seen the larger SodaStream bottles at KMart. I've also walked away from KMart many times with the empty bottle I walked in with because the good people at SodaStream don't seem able to maintain a good supply of their product to the shops. Ditto the soft drink concentrates if you look. So, if you have issues with doing business with companies that seem not to care about your custom, beware. A quick search of the interwebs fails (for me) to find any satisfied customers globally...

If you're not using a lot of gas, I think they are a decent way to go. You have to have more than one cylinder though to accommodate those occasions when the above is in effect.

I got sick of the whole thing and now just use them in the brewery for process work and to provide coverage for when my big bottle runs out. (If I ever get another party invite and decide to take beer in keg, they work in that instance too.) The BrewCraft place has a swap'n'go thing going on with cylinders from SupaGas, which allows you to have them filled directly by the latter company if you get too annoyed by the former company.

SodaStream bottles are probably a bit friendlier towards people who don't want to obsess over handling procedures.

Edited to remove effects of natural retardation.

I have two of the small soda steam bottles. I only have a two keg setup and normally naturally carbonate. This works out fine for me, one bottle is heaps to poor two kegs worth, and I always have the second on hand. And they can be easily and cheaply replaced at Kmart of Big W.

And I can fit the two kegs and soda steam bottle in the fridge, so no need for drilling holes, and big CO2 bottles.

I've never seen the larger SodaStream bottles at KMart. I've also walked away from KMart many times with the empty bottle I walked in with because the good people at SodaStream don't seem able to maintain a good supply of their product to the shops. Ditto the soft drink concentrates if you look. So, if you have issues with doing business with companies that seem not to care about your custom, beware. A quick search of the interwebs fails (for me) to find any satisfied customers globally...

If you're not using a lot of gas, I think they are a decent way to go. You have to have more than one cylinder though to accommodate those occasions when the above is in effect.

I got sick of the whole thing and now just use them in the brewery for process work and to provide coverage for when my big bottle runs out. (If I ever get another party invite and decide to take beer in keg, they work in that instance too.) The BrewCraft place has a swap'n'go thing going on with cylinders from SupaGas, which allows you to have them filled directly by the latter company if you get too annoyed by the former company.

SodaStream bottles are probably a bit friendlier towards people who don't want to obsess over handling procedures.

Edited to remove effects of natural retardation.

Nor I, I found them via SS website, and their return/refill policy is a bit harsh on the customer, must return in the original box the returning bottle came in, must pay the $40 upfront and the cost of the gas ($29.99), and then on the third bottle the $40 is refunded (although that is a guess on my part as the wording is rather vague!).

So I think I'll go looking for a paintball bottle (same thread as SodaStream), and bigger than the little ones. As for getting refilled just hit up a paintball shop/range the anecdotal prices I've heard run ~$14-$20 and there's no waiting for it to come back in the mail either.

Might be worth calling your local Coles to see if they stock them. My local does and provides swaps cheaper than K-Mart.

Cheers - Snow

Might be worth calling your local Coles to see if they stock them. My local does and provides swaps cheaper than K-Mart.

Cheers - Snow
Local Coles folded last year...... So I paid $42ea for two at the W, returns is IIRC (the pain meds are really mucking with my memory) $15, so not too bad, could be worse..... The plan is to eventually have the B-in-L go onto owning his own 2.4kg bottle, but these will do for getting him hooked on kegging. :ph34r:

not that i'm promoting dodgyness but co2 fire extinguishers are the same thread as regular co2 bottles so will fit your regulators etc...

search co2 on ebay and you'll find some cheap ones and you can get filled at fire extinguisher places.

or you may be able to 'find' a co2 extinguisher somewhere cheap, just try to 'find' one with few years left on the test date....

Are the Ozito bottles (by Diemen Cylinders I believe) the same thread as a sodastream bottle. If so their 540gram bottle is about $100 from the big green shed
I dont know what refills cost though and I believe a sodastream bottle is 425grams.
But i think the Ozito bottle exchanges would most likely be more reliable than sodastream

not that i'm promoting dodgyness but co2 fire extinguishers are the same thread as regular co2 bottles so will fit your regulators etc...

search co2 on ebay and you'll find some cheap ones and you can get filled at fire extinguisher places.

or you may be able to 'find' a co2 extinguisher somewhere cheap, just try to 'find' one with few years left on the test date....

I was wondering about that, but this guy (the B-in-law) is a big fan of doing it right, even if it's the expensive way, so the sodastream option is only a stop gap which I know he won't be comfortable with anyway. Nice to know on a personal level as I want to get rid of the BOC bottle asap (costing an arm and a leg) so a CO2 extinguisher is now on the cards. Thanks!

Are the Ozito bottles (by Diemen Cylinders I believe) the same thread as a sodastream bottle. If so their 540gram bottle is about $100 from the big green shed
I dont know what refills cost though and I believe a sodastream bottle is 425grams.
But i think the Ozito bottle exchanges would most likely be more reliable than sodastream

I'll swing by the green box Monday and see what I can find......

I've found them in 3 seperate bunnings stores here in Vic in the tool shop near the MAPP gas / bernzomatic torches and soldering irons etc

Just buy a real CO2 gas bottle. The mykegsonlegs bottle I have while a little pricey at the start, is cheap to fill and completely legit. No need to worry about big w, kmart etc and can keep my LHBS in business by getting him/her to fill it for me.

http://www.mykegonlegs.com.au/

Pok

the ozito bottles are definitely the same thread as a sodastream bottle.

you can even force carbonate with the ozito bottles, watched it done recently...

i actually worked at the big green shed recently and without bagging ozito too much (they do make some good products at a price point) i wouldnt' rely on those bottles being around forever and i think they're about 70 bucks to swap (could be wrong just working on memory here)....

real bottle is absolutely the way to go except i got a dirt cheap extinguisher so that'll do in the meantime

Latest posts

Back