3-ring Burner Natural Gas Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheaper or not cheaper its not often that the natural gas will run ouyt mid boil like a 9kg bottle can often do.... thats one bonus thats not to be overlooked

Yeah but having 2 bottles kills that risk, keep one full at all times and use the other, then if it runs out just switch them over.

For those who are interested, I brewed two batches yesterday using the new NG burner. The burner did seem to have a little less grunt than what I remember using the LPG version. For instance it too probably an extra 5-10mins to get to the boil (although it was a very cold day). To keep a good vigorous rolling boil I used to have the largest and smallest rings on. With the NG setup I needed to have the largest and middle rings on to get the same effect. So less grunt but not dramatically so.

Cheers,

TD :beer:

Convenience is a big plus, just wondering about HWS water in the mash tun. It would depend on what type of HWS you have, but I have a gas storage system and probably wouldnt run water from that into my mash tun. I looked inside an old one once and the things are pretty messy. Corrosion in all colours of the rainbow, also some dark evil-looking slimy stuff. After that, I wouldnt drink water from one. A friend told me she analysed HWS water for a lab project at uni and it was significantly harder than tap water and had a much higher microbe count. Might not have the same issues with instant hot water or with a newer system though.

I've got a nice big gas-fired HWS that is fairly new - so last night i cheated and used the water from that for the mash and sparge water. As a taste experiment i got 2 glasses of water from the tap - one hot, one cold, left them for a while to equalise the temperature, and couldn't tell the difference.

Proof is in the pudding however, i'll have to see how the batch turns out.

I was tempted to use hot tap water on the weekend

But I chickened out :(

Hopefully at the new place I'll get one of the those on the fly hot water systems or even better natural gas connections near enough to the brewing

Cheers

If the water's a bit harder than usual that doesn't worry me much, as I like the character that hard water gives a beer. The microbe factor is a little more worrying, but its all pre-boil so those little buggers won't stand a chance! :D

For those who are interested, I brewed two batches yesterday using the new NG burner. The burner did seem to have a little less grunt than what I remember using the LPG version. For instance it too probably an extra 5-10mins to get to the boil (although it was a very cold day). To keep a good vigorous rolling boil I used to have the largest and smallest rings on. With the NG setup I needed to have the largest and middle rings on to get the same effect. So less grunt but not dramatically so.

Cheers,

TD :beer:

Sounds good T.D.
10 minutes is hardly anything to worry about..! i guess if you are for some reason in a crazy rush, you could still use your LPG setup anyways. win/win.

Still not as fancy as my 15L ally pot HLT with instantanious how water and stove top heating system...! B)

Latest posts

Back