3-ring Burner Natural Gas Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.D.

Hop Whore
Reaction score
Hi all,

This morning I had mains gas installed into my brewery. I also had a hot water tap put in just next to my HLT. This has pretty much solved two of the biggest hassles in brewing - refilling LPG gas bottles, and running the hose 10m from the tap to my HLT and then bolting to the tap like a madman when the water reaches the right level! :lol: :super:

I thought I'd post a bit of a rundown on what I got done, in case any other brewers have been tossing up the option of doing the same. Given that my 3 ring was set up for LPG, I had to get the jets drilled out. I figured it might be handy to have an LPG burner on hand so I bought a new one and had that converted. The conversion cost $22 at a local gas shop (called Living Gas in Brookvale - 'no affiliation' and all that).

For a long time I didn't think a 3 ring could be used with natural gas. So for anyone who was under the same impression, its definitely possible!

Below are some pics of the new setup. Here's to no more refilling gas bottles!! :beer: :D

Here is the burner with the mains connection. It still needs a reg (just below the ball valve on the wall), but the plumber installed one as part of the job. Alternatively, the gas place I went to had a "conversion kit" that included new jets, hoses and reg for $80.
NG_Connection.JPG

Here is my whole setup. The hot water tap is on the right. The hot water heater is literally on the other side of the wall so the water is hot almost immediately! Sweet!!
Whole_Setup.JPG

And here's the 3-ring in action. To the naked eye I think the flame is even better on NG than it was on LPG! Proof will be in the pudding though I guess when I brew next!
3_Ring.JPG

Good stuff! make sure you post again after you've used it and let us know how it goes.

I'd imagine you'll be saving a bit of cash with that setup too. I'm sure that plumbed in natural gas would have to work out cheaper than $25+ for 8.5kg of LPG

Looks da-bomb TD! :beerbang:

I'll be thinking of you when I lug my 9kg cylinder to the servo tomorrow. <_< :lol:

Warren -

Good stuff! make sure you post again after you've used it and let us know how it goes.

I'd imagine you'll be saving a bit of cash with that setup too. I'm sure that plumbed in natural gas would have to work out cheaper than $25+ for 8.5kg of LPG

Will do Lucas, I might be able to squeeze in a brew on Monday. I'm itching to try it out - mainly to see how the intensity of the burner has changed now that its NG. I was always under the impression that the MJ rating fell a touch when using NG vs LPG, but having spoken to the plumber etc apparently it depends on the reg setting and pipe width etc. Has anybody else converted an LPG burner to NG? Have you noticed any difference in output?

Yeah, I think mains gas works out quite a bit cheaper than LPG. Can't remember the exact figures though. But then it will need to be cheaper to account for the outlay for the plumbing etc! :p

Tim,

I worked it out and based on the MJ rating, a 9kg tank holds 36x9 MJ or 324 MJ. My AGL gas plan at home costs me 1.6c per MJ, so the equivalent of a 9kg gas bottle costs about $5.20.

I get my bottles refilled for $14 which isn't half bad (4.3c per MJ), and get more than 10 batches from 1 refill as i use the inside gas stove to heat my sparge water, but i'd still save a couple of bucks per batch going to NG. If you were getting bottles refilled for $25 each like most here are though, you would save quite a lot - i would say if you got 6 batches from a 9kg tank you'd save about $3.30 per batch ($4.16 vs $0.86)

Hi all,

This morning I had mains gas installed into my brewery. I also had a hot water tap put in just next to my HLT. This has pretty much solved two of the biggest hassles in brewing - refilling LPG gas bottles, and running the hose 10m from the tap to my HLT and then bolting to the tap like a madman when the water reaches the right level! :lol: :super:

I thought I'd post a bit of a rundown on what I got done, in case any other brewers have been tossing up the option of doing the same. Given that my 3 ring was set up for LPG, I had to get the jets drilled out. I figured it might be handy to have an LPG burner on hand so I bought a new one and had that converted. The conversion cost $22 at a local gas shop (called Living Gas in Brookvale - 'no affiliation' and all that).

Great news T.D. I have a 4 ring burner that I want to get onto mains gas. Can you be a bit more specific about getting the jets drilled out and the conversion process?

The one thing that irks me about brewing is the possibility of running out of gas mid-boil :blink:

Tim,

I worked it out and based on the MJ rating, a 9kg tank holds 36x9 MJ or 324 MJ. My AGL gas plan at home costs me 1.6c per MJ, so the equivalent of a 9kg gas bottle costs about $5.20.

I get my bottles refilled for $14 which isn't half bad (4.3c per MJ), and get more than 10 batches from 1 refill as i use the inside gas stove to heat my sparge water, but i'd still save a couple of bucks per batch going to NG. If you were getting bottles refilled for $25 each like most here are though, you would save quite a lot - i would say if you got 6 batches from a 9kg tank you'd save about $3.30 per batch ($4.16 vs $0.86)

Thanks for the calculations DJR. $14 per bottle is a top deal! I was paying bloody $29 for swap and go! :angry:

:lol: So at a saving of $3.30 per brew, it'll take around 100 brews to pay for the plumbing job!! :rolleyes: But I guess the hassle of having to get refills definitely has a price too. :super:

Great news T.D. I have a 4 ring burner that I want to get onto mains gas. Can you be a bit more specific about getting the jets drilled out and the conversion process?

The one thing that irks me about brewing is the possibility of running out of gas mid-boil :blink:

Yeah, I must say that's something that confused me a bit. The "conversion kit" that the gas place I went to sells includes new jets that are meant for NG. But I think this kit is primarily designed for bbqs. When the guy was actually talking about converting the burner over he mentioned "drilling out" the current jets so I'm not really sure whether its a matter of replacing the jets with ones made for NG, or just modifying the original LPG jets. I was told that pretty much any gas fitter can do the modification so it seems to be a fairly standard process. I reckon if you called a gas fitter they'd probably tell you what the modification involves. Sorry I don't have much more info than that!

Yeah, running out of gas mid boil is not much fun. Will be great not to have to worry about that! :beerbang:

TD,

I'd love to hear from you what the time difference is for getting up a rolling boil...

Andy

No worries Andy, I'll try and brew on Monday so I'll post the results then. I usually have the burner on during the sparge and regulate it so I am coming to the boil as the sparge finishes so it might be a bit hard to get an idea of the difference in time it takes to reach the boil. But I should be able to tell from the vigor of the boil if its a hotter or cooler flame.

Hey ya TD

Thats a good idea running some hot water to the brew house. I have thought of this a few times as i would like to use some hot water in my HLT to speed up the process.
Is this what you are looking at doing ?
I was worried that the hot tap water might leave some off flavours behind.
My only thinking behind this is that isf i make a cupa with hot tap water it is not as good as if i make it with cold water i think there may be something in the heater that leaves some off flavours behind.

Lokpikn :)

ps:spellig erroers i kow

I've considered putting a small instant HW system into the brewery... might cost less than running insulated copper in...

Probablyh also minimises the effect of off flavors, since the water's in contact with the heater for a minimal amount of time...

Andy

Looks good TD, although I'm a bit confused as to why a regulator is needed for the gas supply. Did you question your plumber about this one?

I'm doing a similar setup with a 32 jet mongolian burner and my plumber reckons it should be fine to run off the pressure in my delivery lines (ie. regulated from the gas meter at the front of my house). I have a gas, instant hot water heater plumbed up directly to my gas supply and it operates fine.

As for the use of hot tap water when brewing I have been told that old tank type hot water heaters can develop a build-up in them and deliver water that is "harder" than the cold tap water - but if you've got an instant hot water heater like I have there should be no difference between the two.

Has anyone actually checked the difference between their hot and cold tap water?

Benniee

Bennie

It depends on what pressure your getting from the street, older streets like mine have low pressure system. No regulator on the meter. This means supply capacity is restricted. I just spend $$$ on 32mm copper piping to feed my instant hot water, stove and in the future gas bbq.

Hey ya TD

Thats a good idea running some hot water to the brew house. I have thought of this a few times as i would like to use some hot water in my HLT to speed up the process.
My only thinking behind this is that isf i make a cupa with hot tap water it is not as good as if i make it with cold water i think there may be something in the heater that leaves some off flavours behind.

All my brewing water comes out the hot tap, not noticed an off taste yet - go for it :)

++++

Nice work TD - I hate running out of gas & regularly do - especially as I do 2 to 4 brews at a time. Unfortunatley we don't have NG :( otherwise I'd be ringing the plumber today...

Cheers Ross

Hey ya TD

G'day Lokpikn,

Yeah the hot water tap is to fill the HLT directly and get the ball rolling a bit quicker each brew day. In the last places I lived in I often used hot water in the same way and never came across any off flavours. One of those places had an instant hot water heater and the other had a tank type. My current place's heater also has a tank. I've never thought about it being an issue though. If I do notice any problems I'll let you know!

Looks good TD, although I'm a bit confused as to why a regulator is needed for the gas supply. Did you question your plumber about this one?

I'm doing a similar setup with a 32 jet mongolian burner and my plumber reckons it should be fine to run off the pressure in my delivery lines (ie. regulated from the gas meter at the front of my house). I have a gas, instant hot water heater plumbed up directly to my gas supply and it operates fine.

As for the use of hot tap water when brewing I have been told that old tank type hot water heaters can develop a build-up in them and deliver water that is "harder" than the cold tap water - but if you've got an instant hot water heater like I have there should be no difference between the two.

Has anyone actually checked the difference between their hot and cold tap water?

Benniee

Yeah, I did ask people about why I needed a reg. On the meter there is a dirty big reg that I presume keeps all the household gas lines pressurised at the same level, so assuming that is a decent enough pressure, you wouldn't think you'd need another reg. I asked the gas shop guy about that and he said that most of those appliances that use gas (heaters, stoves, hot water heaters etc) would have an in-built reg. But it did puzzle me as I was under the impression that if anything mains gas pressure was on the low side if anything, which makes a reg seem pretty worthless! Anyway, two gas people both said independently that I needed it, so I guess I do - maybe you need them in come areas and not in others???

Nice work TD - I hate running out of gas & regularly do - especially as I do 2 to 4 brews at a time. Unfortunatley we don't have NG :( otherwise I'd be ringing the plumber today...

Cheers Ross, yeah the convenience factor is probably the biggest thing for me. Makes the plumbing outlay worthwhile IMO. Bummer you don't have NG. Have you looked into bigger LPG cylinders? I had a look at these a while back and they seem to cost around the same as a 9kg bottle, which is a shame, but you would have a lot more peace of mind with the increased capacity!

It depends on what pressure your getting from the street, older streets like mine have low pressure system. No regulator on the meter. This means supply capacity is restricted. I just spend $$$ on 32mm copper piping to feed my instant hot water, stove and in the future gas bbq.

Thanks for the info. I had to splash out the $$$ for the large diameter copper pipe as well, but I'm pretty sure I have a reg on my meter (I'll have to check when I get home tonight). But I do live in one of the older suburbs of Newcastle so who knows what sort of mains I have. I wonder if I can look it up online somewhere.

The cost of the copper pipe certainly adds up. All I need to do is duck around the corner of my house from where my instant hot water supply is (approximately 3-4m) and it's going to sting me around $200 to get it all plumbed in.

I'm getting a Stainless Steel fabricator I know to make up a custom stand for the burner/boiler combo so once it's done I'll post up some pics.

Benniee

cheaper or not cheaper its not often that the natural gas will run out mid boil like a 9kg bottle can often do.... thats one bonus thats not to be overlooked

Latest posts

Back