• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Soda Stream Adaptor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoops - I have a soda stream CO2 bottle sitting in my garage, I am planning to make an adaptor. You could short ciruit some of that, what specs are the thread on SS bottle?

Also, I take it you have to have the adapter push down the pin when you screw it right down.

sosman said:
You could short ciruit some of that, what specs are the thread on SS bottle?

Also, I take it you have to have the adapter push down the pin when you screw it right down.
Sosman

Short circuit? Do you mean simplify? I can't see how it could be simplified as it is made to adapt between a soda stream bottle and a normal reg. All it is consists of is 1 male thread, a pin, and 1 female thread.

Not sure of the thread size of the soda stream bottle. I believe it is the same thread pitch (as CO2 bottle) but a different diameter. The guy that made it for me made up his own tap for the thread, and cut the CO2 reg thread with the lathe.

Yes the adaptor has a pin to push the soda stream bottle pin in. In these ones he has drilled a tiny hole through a brass screw, then put a slot on both ends of the screw so that you can adjust how far it sticks out.

Hope this helps with your plans

Hoops

I only use sodastream bottles and find they will do three 18l kegs and now Ultimate Air (Beertech.com.au) is setting up to fill these for about $6.00 they are most attractive. I made the adaptor in the foto below with bits out of the junk box, but they could be purchased for a few dollars. I am always a little hazy on these fitting sizes but the straight nipple on the left I think is 1/2" (it fits the bottle) and the reducing bush on the right is 1/2" to1/4". The polyurethane washer is a tap washer with the centre hole drilled out to clear that threaded bit which was cut off the business end of a 3/8 bolt. There is a little fitting required. Firstly, you must run a 3/8 tap down the small end of the reducing bush and then drill a 1.5mm hole 3/4 down thru the thread then out the side. The foto will show that I cut a shallow hacksaw groove to the blunt end of the thread to allow the gas to pass the washer. A screwdriver slot must also be cut in the threaded end for adjustment. If anyone has purchased one of those 1.5kg. Goliath bottles, they will find that they have the same thread as sodastream.
That should have confused everybody!

Sodastream_adaptor.jpg

Tony M said:
I only use sodastream bottles and find they will do three 18l kegs and now Ultimate Air (Beertech.com.au) is setting up to fill these for about $6.00 they are most attractive.
3 kegs! I didn't think they would last that long. :) Surely you are naturally carbonating these 3 kegs?
I am surprised you found something with the same thread as the sodastream bottle, I was looking for ages to no avail so as a last resort went and saw a fitter & turner.
If you find out the proper thread size post it on the site to let people know - much easier if people can source pieces locally.
You can set yourself up to fill these bottles from normal bottles but you need an adaptor of some type.
Hoops

I am surprised you found something with the same thread as the sodastream bottle, I was looking for ages to no avail so as a last resort went and saw a fitter & turner. If you find out the proper thread size post it on the site to let people know - much easier if people can source pieces locally.

As per Tony's pic it looks like 1/2" BSP (or possibly NPT). There is another 14 threads/inch thread called CGA 320 apparently (http://kegman.net/refiller.html) this is a slightly smaller diameter but I reckon its nothing that a touch of teflon tape can't fix (standard disclaimer about liquid CO2 potentially being really dangerous applies).

Hi Hoops,
Let me do some sums.
A litre of CO2 weighs about 2gm. and a sodastream bottle holds 330gm. or 165 litre of gas.
An 18L keg carbonated at 2.5 Vols. holds 45L of gas but if the beer was fermented at 18C. it will already contain 0.93 vols or 17L of gas, leaving 28 litre reqd. or 56gm. CO2
If we dispense at 8psi., we will in theory use according to Boyle, 18 X 22.7/14.7 = 28litres or another 56gm. of CO2.
That adds up to 112gm of gas per keg which I know is a fart short of three kegs per bottle. In fact, if a group is on a keg demolishing mission, not as much dispense gas is reqd. as the dissolved CO2 has no time to dissipate and a very low dispense pressure is necessary in a room full of overly happy souls.
I should add that I use compressed air for all my sanitising and purging.
Regards.

Hoops,

I have got two of those small regs in your second photo.

Can you get one made up for this(and $ if possible)

Does it just allow you to screw the soda stream bottle to the reg and use or do you need something to press down on the outlet of the bottle as you screw it in?

Matt

Tony
great post, good info, however I fill my sodastream bottle from a larger CO2 bottle so probably get a fair bit less in there. 2 kegs would be enough though.

popsy
He already has 2 made up as I asked him to make another 2 soda stream-reg adaptors (top photo) and he made the wrong ones (2nd photo).
He charges $30 them as well (same level of difficulty and time).
The adaptor has a pin inside it so that when you screw your soda stream bottle onto the reg it pushes the pin in. He has done this with a small threaded screw drilled through the centre, which means you can adjust it so that the pin will engage with either high torque using a spanner or low torque using your hands.
Hoops

ps I will try to take some more photos tonight of the pin inside it.

Finally got around to taking some more pics....

5.JPG

Tony M said:
That adds up to 112gm of gas per keg which I know is a fart short of three kegs per bottle.
Tony that fits with my "sanity check". The soda stream people call it a "40 litre" bottle and given that soft drink is more highly carbonated than most beer then stretching it to 55-60 litres (3 kegs) wouldn't seem to be fanciful.

I plan to use the soda stream only for dispensing from party kegs, so I am really only using it to push out pre-carbonated beer.

Hard to keep a good post down!!

I'm in the market for a permanent sodastream adaptor/regulator like the one Hoops had made up.

Anyone able to help out? :)

looks like this:

sodareg.jpg

Why not get one from Hoops?

I have bought two from him , geat stuff

Batz

They are not that hard to make if you don't have any luck sourcing one.

hoops, ill get one of these suckers too please...

also, I read somewhere that i can use this to refill the Soda Stream bottle from my large CO2 bottle, how is this done?..

warb

I know absoluetely nothing about this - but did find this link when doing a search on Sodastream. May help...

http://www.ceisites.com/refilling.html

The subject of paintball CO2 cylinders also came up a lot during search. Is this an option for a small cylinder - and do paintball shops refill, (maybe cheaper than KMart) ????

A mate of mine has offered me a 20oz paintball cylinder so I will let you all know how it goes. I have two sodastreams and if I get the paintball cylinder I probably wont even have to worry about a big cylinder, especially if he can fill them for me.

Cheers

interesting info on refill, I think I may do the swap thing, I'm liable to kill myself :p

hey hoops, I like to grab one of these for a Christmas party. can anybody else sort this for me?.. :chug:

Back